It appears as though Kyle Wellwood's stay on the West Coast will be extended.
Wellwood's agent and former NHL netminder Mike Liut told the TEAM 1040 in Vancouver that his client will suit up for a second season with the Canucks following Wellwood's arbitration hearing Tuesday.
The 26-year old Wellwood chose the arbitration route following a $1,000,000 offer from the Canucks that the Windsor, Ontario native considered too low. The team could have allowed Wellwood to become a free-agent if he had been awarded more than $1,570,000 next season, however Liut told the TEAM that the numbers would work out for both sides.
"When they offered the qualifier and Kyle opted for salary arbitration, at that point you're accepting a contract and you just have to fill in a term," Liut said. "So we'll get the term and the next stop is training camp. There's no chance of (free-agency) happening, because the parties weren't in that range."
Wellwood had an up-and-down inaugural season in Vancouver where he was placed on waivers and called out by management for being out of shape. He still managed a career high 18 goals to go along with nine assists. He struggled during the second half of the season, languishing in a 21-game goalless drought at one point. He added one goal and five assists in 10 Canucks playoff games.
An arbitrator will release his decision by Thursday afternoon with an official signing expected soon after.