Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wellwood officially re-signed

It appears as though Kyle Wellwood's stay on the West Coast will be extended.

Wellwood's agent and former NHL netminder Mike Liut told the TEAM 1040 in Vancouver that his client will suit up for a second season with the Canucks following Wellwood's arbitration hearing Tuesday.

The 26-year old Wellwood chose the arbitration route following a $1,000,000 offer from the Canucks that the Windsor, Ontario native considered too low. The team could have allowed Wellwood to become a free-agent if he had been awarded more than $1,570,000 next season, however Liut told the TEAM that the numbers would work out for both sides.

"When they offered the qualifier and Kyle opted for salary arbitration, at that point you're accepting a contract and you just have to fill in a term," Liut said. "So we'll get the term and the next stop is training camp. There's no chance of (free-agency) happening, because the parties weren't in that range."

Wellwood had an up-and-down inaugural season in Vancouver where he was placed on waivers and called out by management for being out of shape. He still managed a career high 18 goals to go along with nine assists. He struggled during the second half of the season, languishing in a 21-game goalless drought at one point. He added one goal and five assists in 10 Canucks playoff games.

An arbitrator will release his decision by Thursday afternoon with an official signing expected soon after.
    TSN
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Wellwood>Sundin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Wellwood>Sundin
    Not sure how accurate that is. But your fan bias is towards the guy you want to spoon with more Carson.

vCash
    Well, I like Wellwood, thought for a smaller player, he was one of the grittiest on the Canucks during the playoffs. That big shiner and missing tooth, he played tough, and that impressed me. But, where will he play? Does he stay on the thrid line with Bernier and Raymond? What does this mean then for Hodgson? Does he come in on the fourth line? And if so, what would that mean for the tough line of Hordichuk, Johnson and Rypien?

Something tells me Raymond is a goner, possibly in a deal with Schneider for that puck-moving d-man we desperately need. Once Raymond's gone, Hodgson will move onto the third line with Wellwood and Bernier. My guess.

vCash
    ugh, right when i posted something the forum crashed...

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Mike Gillis announced today that the Canucks have re-signed Centre Kyle Wellwood. In keeping with club policy terms were not disclosed.

Wellwood, 26, recorded 27 points (18-9-27) in 74 games in 2008.09 with Vancouver. He set career highs for goals (18), power play goals (10) and game-winning goals (3) in a single season. The Canucks centre also ranked third in the League for the best shooting percentage (19.1%) this past season. Wellwood added six points (1-5-6) in ten playoff games.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...kyle_wellwood/

this probably means the end for mason raymond. If we trade him, i'm really going to miss him because i had high hopes for him last year and i still have high hopes for him. I really think hes going to be a 25-30 goal scorer one day.

But, to get something you like (defense) you gotta give something you like (schneid and raymond).
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    This is a good thing. Kyle Wellwood belongs in the NHL if he manages to stay fit and play with emotion. He has great hands, and if I were him, I'd NEVER want to be seen on the highlight reel again with Kipper stopping a limp-wristed attempt at what should have been a sure goal...he has to live that down.

vCash
    I like this signing a lot as well, Wellwood is a very talented player who lacked discpline with his conditioning, and the effort he put out on the ice. He worked at that over the last season and ended up having a good year, and especially a really good playoffs. The guy can play. Now that he's signed with the club, I think he'll want to prove to all teams out there that he should be paid more than what the Canucks are paying him this season. I expect a great effort from Wellwood this year.

vCash
    Glad to bring him back. He can be a really be a good goal scorer with the right guys around him. Plus gives us that much more depth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Not sure how accurate that is. But your fan bias is towards the guy you want to spoon with more Carson.
    haha. [Not laughing at Carson .. just a funny line.]

vCash
    IMO everyone would be happy to see the playoffs Wellwood back in the lineup. So get that gut in check dude and get ready for 2009-2010!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    haha. [Not laughing at Carson .. just a funny line.]
    I laughed as well