Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: The Shift

vCash

The Shift

Why don't we see more batters bunting on The Shift? Are they just not good bunters or is it an ego thing?
    Last edited by Pavelb1; 07-26-2009 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    Why don't we see more batters bunting on The Shift? Are they just not good bunters or is it an ego thing?
    probably most likely ego/chicks dig the long ball mentality and $$. Adam dunn got low balled into a $10 per to bat .250 w/ 40 HRs. I dont think hes getting that much to bat .290 w/ 30 HRs (just making #s up)

occasionally you'll see someone drop a bunt down. But the sad thing is, if the big lefty bunted [successfully] often, teams wouldnt shift on them.

The one thing I never realized was they used the shift back in the 50's and 60's. I always thought that it was a recent (<10yrs) strategy.

vCash
    Bonds did it a couple of times before they pulled the extreme shift. At this time, they played so deep and he was so quick they had no chance.

vCash
    I'm wondering why the shift is only done on LHB. I'm sure there are some extreme pull RH hitters but you don't see it done against those guys. Or at least it's not done nearly as often.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
    probably most likely ego/chicks dig the long ball mentality and $$. Adam dunn got low balled into a $10 per to bat .250 w/ 40 HRs. I dont think hes getting that much to bat .290 w/ 30 HRs (just making #s up)

occasionally you'll see someone drop a bunt down. But the sad thing is, if the big lefty bunted [successfully] often, teams wouldnt shift on them.

The one thing I never realized was they used the shift back in the 50's and 60's. I always thought that it was a recent (<10yrs) strategy.
    The credit for the first shift goes to (I believe) Lou Boudreau of the Indians against Ted Williams. He just kept pulling the ball.

BTW, since the 3B has the most room to cover on a shift against say Ortiz, why doesn't the SS play that slot, and move the the 3B into the short OF slot since he doesn't have to move that far, just react quickly. Keeping the 2B and SS more or less in the right place makes the D stronger.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    I'm wondering why the shift is only done on LHB. I'm sure there are some extreme pull RH hitters but you don't see it done against those guys. Or at least it's not done nearly as often.
    Need someone to cover first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    But you can still have the 1B cover first and shift the 2B to the left side. It's no different than leaving the 3B all alone there.

And I agree with Bagwell the SS should be the only guy on the left side of the IF for the shift. Might as well have the guy with the most range cover the spot if he's by himself.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    I've seen the 1B pulled off the line pretty far, but not so far that they can't cover 1st.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    But it doesn't work the same way as for lefties. You can't put him in 2B positioning like the 3B who covers SS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    The credit for the first shift goes to (I believe) Lou Boudreau of the Indians against Ted Williams. He just kept pulling the ball.

BTW, since the 3B has the most room to cover on a shift against say Ortiz, why doesn't the SS play that slot, and move the the 3B into the short OF slot since he doesn't have to move that far, just react quickly. Keeping the 2B and SS more or less in the right place makes the D stronger.
    teams have begun to do exactly that, but not for the reason you suggest, its bc the 3B cant turn a good DP. I remember watching the red sox last year, just happened to turn the game on mid pitch, GB to the right side, throw goes to 2nd and I saw the ugliest turn ever, I was thinking who the h*ll is playing SS for BOS. turns out someone like pena was up, they had a shift on, and it was lowell trying to turn 2.