Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Burke: Kaberle unlikely to be traded

In his quest to find a deal for defenceman Tomas Kaberle, Brian Burke has found a kindred spirit in another Toronto general manager.

"Right now we are not talking to anyone about Tomas Kaberle," the Maple Leafs GM stated. "It's interesting, I watched JP's (Blue Jays GM Ricciardi) comments about Doc Halladay and I feel the same way. We're going to talk about this every day until the ‘no-trade' goes away. It's the nature of the business I guess."

Burke's busy summer may well be winding down as it appears that the Maple Leafs Czech-born blueliner will remain in Toronto for the time being.

"If I had to handicap this I'd be shocked if he's not a Leaf on opening night," said Burke.

After bringing in Francois Beauchemin, Mike Komisarek and Garnet Exelby this off-season, it appeared as though the 31-year old Kaberle would be the odd-man out as Burke attempted to remodel the Maple Leafs defence corps after the one that helped bring him a Stanley Cup in Anaheim. Burke believes that the additional toughness could greatly benefit a player who can move the puck the way the four-time All-Star game participant can.

"I look forth to seeing what Tomas can do with a little more size and toughness around him when he's not picking his teeth out of the glass all night," said Burke. "I think bravery and fear are both infectious. I think we have a bigger, rougher group and I think that it will benefit all of our players, not just the ones that play like that."

It appeared as though Kaberle's days in Toronto were numbered in late June as the Leafs and Boston Bruins nearly consummated a trade that would have sent Kaberle to Beantown with Phil Kessel coming the other way. Reportedly a miscommunication on a draft pick to be included with Kaberle scuttled the draft day deal.

While Kaberle does have a no-trade clause, his contract allows him to be dealt during a small window in the off-season that opened on July 26th. While several teams were reportedly interested at one point, it now appears that Kaberle will open his 11th NHL season with the Maple Leafs on October 1st against the Montreal Canadiens.
    TSN
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    I call BS. Either his asking price is way to high and teams are scoffing(my theory) or he's bluffing

vCash
    Burkie better be careful about comparing himself to JP Ricciardi. It might just stick!

And I don't want Kaberle, especially not at the price Burke might be trying to get. Fuh-get it!

vCash
    just sign zubov or schneider. I just want to see Gillis do something!!!!!!!
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    I totally agree with everyone, Burke would probably love to deal Kaberle, but he's asking too much and no one's biting. I hope Gillis stays away from this guy, and I also agree that Zubov or Schneider would be great acqusitions for Vancouver, experienced D-men (with Cup championships) who can still put points on the board. Besides, why make any deals with Toronto? I'd hate to trade away Schneider and/or Raymond, only to find out they blossom there.

vCash
    ^ If anything Gillis should hold out and get the Leafs to overpay for Schneider if they want him. After all, it was the Nonis/Burke era that drafted him in the first place.

vCash
    Schneider seems like a good bet. Just as long as it's not MA Bergeron or Tom Poti. Someone who's good on the point on the PP. We're great down low on the PP but every team in the NHL knows we only have Salo (when he is healthy) and Edler, who is gaining a rep for a bullet from the blue. Shcneider's presence could help Edler, who will eventually be our number one D. I loved Mathias, but the guy never was known for his great shot from the point. The one time he did connect, he broke Bert's shin...

vCash
    Wouldn't you think somebody is leaving from the leafs blueline. Kaberle, Beauchemin, Exelby, and Komisarek but no real offensive force.