Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 81
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,032
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Milnertime=Failure at typing. Kond and dnnt? Lulz.

    But your point is correct. That post is pretty much a giant pile of "WTF?"

    Haha, I'm actually impresed that I only made 2 mistakes considering I was typing that on my phone....while driving.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    14,885
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    God forbid someone try to better understand the game.
    Just so you know, Sabermetrics exist to find out why team A scores more runs than team B on a regular basis.

    Your comment here is the worst kond: ignorant, insulting, and overall useless to the conversation.

    Why are you even in the Sabermetrics forum if you dnnt accept them? You obviously aren't here to learn about them. Stop trolling.
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.

    You're right, I don't accept Sabermetrics. It is a bunch of hogwash stats that many people could care less about.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.
    How do you think the Dodgers got there in the first place?

    And please, by all means, explain to us how to win games?
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    23,529
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    You're right, I don't accept Sabermetrics. It is a bunch of hogwash stats that many people could care less about.
    Then, all due respect, please go away. If you have no interest in a calm, rational discussion, don't bother posting here. You clearly don't care to research anything that you're talking about before you dismiss it, so why bother?

    There are plenty of posters in the MLB forum who agree with you. Have fun.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.

    You're right, I don't accept Sabermetrics. It is a bunch of hogwash stats that many people could care less about.
    You're going completely discredit a field/tool simply because a team has managed to succeed without them.....are you ****ing ********?

    You know, the Mayans didn't need computers. They must be piece of **** devices!

    The fact of the matter still is that while there are more and more teams who use sabermetrics, there are still more that don't. That should be a pretty simple concept to grasp.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,991
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    You're going completely discredit a field/tool simply because a team has managed to succeed without them.....are you ****ing ********?

    You know, the Mayans didn't need computers. They must be piece of **** devices!

    The fact of the matter still is that while there are more and more teams who use sabermetrics, there are still more that don't. That should be a pretty simple concept to grasp.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    39,140
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.

    You're right, I don't accept Sabermetrics. It is a bunch of hogwash stats that many people could care less about.
    The worst.

    Even worse than the first time we went through this:

    http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=91
    http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=95
    Last edited by Driven; 08-08-2009 at 04:33 AM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    57
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.

    Why do you hate CCU?
    Last edited by Toirtap; 08-08-2009 at 11:34 AM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Toirtap View Post
    Why do you hate CCU?
    People hate what they can't understand.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    57
    vCash
    1500
    That obviously did not come across as I intended it. It was a lame attempt at a joke--that his posts were reflecting badly on "CCU", which presumably is his alma mater.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,692
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.

    You're right, I don't accept Sabermetrics. It is a bunch of hogwash stats that many people could care less about.
    Why are you here? This is a sub-forum: aka a place where like minded people an go to talk about whatever they want, without outsiders getting confused / upset. We're not bogging down your teams' IGT with this kind of stuff, or whatever, so why do you care? The chances of us changing your mind are as good as those that you'll change ours. So why not agree to disagree, and move on?

    OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)



    Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

    -Malcolm Reynolds


  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,692
    vCash
    1500
    I misspoke earlier. Pitchers have *SOME* control over where the ball goes - they can control GB% and FB% to an extent by keeping the ball low, throwing sinkers with movement, etc. But the BABIP itself fluctuates quite a bit from season to season. So it's not really a repeatable skill. Therefore, if a guy has an abnormally low BABIP or high BABIP, given enough playing time over the course of the rest of the season, the BABIP generally approaches something a lot closer to .290 for a pitcher than that .240 line he currently has or that .340 line he currently has, especially if the LD% is off kilter with that BABIP. I think saber heads throw the word "luck" around too much. For me, everything is an issue of sample size and probability. Luck is involved in there, but describing somebody as lucky is kind of meaningless to me. It's a poor way of saying he's been normal or abnormal. At its core, sabermetrics is a behavioral study of baseball players. Given such an easy to control environment, what are the behavioral norms, and how are players relating to those norms?

    OOTP TKO League Milwaukee Brewers 2010-2032:
    2011-1655, .549 Win %
    10 NL Central Titles, 2 Wild Card 12 Total Playoff Appearances
    1 World Series Title (2021)



    Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.

    -Malcolm Reynolds


  13. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,032
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    You're no different than I am; an average fan. Go ahead and call my comment "the worst," but it is a proven fact of life. Do the Dodgers really care about sabermetrics when they see their team in 1st place with the best record in baseball? At the end of the day, it is all about wins and losses. Doesn't matter how you got there; all that matters is how you win.

    You're right, I don't accept Sabermetrics. It is a bunch of hogwash stats that many people could care less about.
    It does matter how you get there. Some ways of "getting there" are repeatable and produce good results year after year, like the Braves of the 90s and the Red Sox of now.

    Those "hogwash stats" are how the game works. They are created from observed games and actual events on the field. The "some people" that don't really care about Sabermetrics, including yourself, should stay the hell out of the Sabermetrics forum. All you're doing is trolling and insulting an entire group of people.

    You have your way of enjoying the game, that's fine. We have ours. Now, leave.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    24,927
    vCash
    1500
    ive questioned some forms of sabermetrics at times, but what ccu is saying is just flat out ridiculous. not only was he bashing sabermetrics, but even more widely accepted stats that the majority of semi-ignorant fans find useful.

    sabermetrics and stats are ways of measuring success, and some are indicative of future success.
    whether you pay attention to them or not, they exist.
    teams use them to evaluate player performance, and to decide who to keep or get rid of.
    i am sure your precious dodgers have looked thoroughly into these things, and it has helped them put together a team that can win.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    24,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    It's not ridiculous. It's reality. There's no way around it. If you're presented with all of the analysis available regarding BABIP, and how pitchers don't have that much control over, and you still refute it, then you (not YOU, obviously =p) are a moron.
    hmm.
    i've been really trying to get more in depth knowledge about sabermetrics these days.

    however i read somewhere that a guy by the name of Tom Tippet had findings that said "preventing hits on balls in play were at least partially the result of the pitcher's skill."
    The bottom line, though, is that I am convinced that pitchers do influence in-play outcomes to a significant degree. There's a reason why Charlie Hough and Jamie Moyer and Phil Niekro and Tom Glavine and Bud Black have had successful careers despite mediocre strikeout rates. There's a reason why the top strikeout pitchers have also suppressed in-play hits at a good rate. Using power or control or deception or a knuckleball, pitchers can keep hitters off balance and induce more than their share of routine grounders, popups, and lazy fly balls.
    http://www.diamond-mind.com/articles/ipavg2.htm

    do you or anyone know anything about this, and what do you think?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •