Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    The reason I hate the stat is because it just doesn't make sense to me that a bunch of statisticians pull a number out of their *ss and say that a player is going to meet that average during the season, and if he doesn't he's lucky/unlucky.

And another thing is pitchers DO have more control over it than some people give them credit for. If you're jamming hitters with sinkers inside or keeping them off balance with changeups obviously you'll have a lower BABIP...
    That's where you look at the types of hits the pitcher is getting. If their LD% is really low because everybody is just hitting ****** GBs or pop ups, sure, they'll have a really low BABIP. That's how you can determine someone with a low BABIP is or is not lucky.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C1Bman88 View Post
    How do we pull the numbers out of our *****? It's identifying when hits are falling in more than they usually do for a hitter or a pitcher based on what they've done in the past.

I'm talking about EXPECTED BABIP. I've seen people on here say Haren isn't great because some guy before the season said his BABIP would be higher than it currently is.

vCash
    I'm talking about EXPECTED BABIP. I've seen people on here say Haren isn't great because some guy before the season said his BABIP would be higher than it currently is.
    I was referring to expected BABIP. If you look at his LD% GB% and FB% you can see where it should be compared to where it is. And there is absolutely no way he can continue to have a BABAIP of .241 with a 21LD%. He's still an extremely good pitcher, but he's not that good.

vCash
    A BABIP that low is simply unsustainable. He gives up 20.6% line drives, yet his BABIP is only .254. It should be much closer to .300, and he's beginning to regress towards it. He used be in the .210 area.

vCash
    You guys also said at the beginning of the season Floyd would never be good again...

vCash
    You guys also said at the beginning of the season Floyd would never be good again...
    How would you know ? you signed up last month ????

vCash
    And this sub-forum hasn't been in existence since the beginning of the season. It started after the season started.

So you're either A) a user who made a second account here, or B) lumping us in with someone else you know/read that preached Sabermetrics and said Floyd wouldn't be good. Or you're both.

Anyway, it's fairly presumptuous of you to come into this one thread without having read anything about BABIP and make claims about how wrong it is. Try reading up on the subject, or if you don't want to, try reading what this forum has to say about it.

If you don't want to do that, you really have no business posting here. The purpose of this forum is to have meaningful discussions about Sabermetrics based on facts and evidence, not conjecture.

vCash
    Yes, had he continued the way he had been, he would have continued through the path of mediocrity. This season, he's upped his K's, lowered his walks, and lowered his HR/9.

In fact, his FIP is lower than his current ERA.

vCash
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    God forbid someone try to better understand the game.

Just so you know, Sabermetrics exist to find out why team A scores more runs than team B on a regular basis.

Your comment here is the worst kond: ignorant, insulting, and overall useless to the conversation.

Why are you even in the Sabermetrics forum if you dnnt accept them? You obviously aren't here to learn about them. Stop trolling.

vCash
    Milnertime=Failure at typing. Kond and dnnt? Lulz.

But your point is correct. That post is pretty much a giant pile of "WTF?"

vCash
    How do the teams score runs, smartass?
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    Good thing you're not a GM.

vCash
    I never realized it was that simple

vCash
    Are you serious? Do people really think thias way?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast