Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 81
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    46,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    The reason I hate the stat is because it just doesn't make sense to me that a bunch of statisticians pull a number out of their *ss and say that a player is going to meet that average during the season, and if he doesn't he's lucky/unlucky.

    And another thing is pitchers DO have more control over it than some people give them credit for. If you're jamming hitters with sinkers inside or keeping them off balance with changeups obviously you'll have a lower BABIP...
    That's where you look at the types of hits the pitcher is getting. If their LD% is really low because everybody is just hitting ****** GBs or pop ups, sure, they'll have a really low BABIP. That's how you can determine someone with a low BABIP is or is not lucky.

    And then. He made them pancakes.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    44
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by C1Bman88 View Post
    How do we pull the numbers out of our *****? It's identifying when hits are falling in more than they usually do for a hitter or a pitcher based on what they've done in the past.

    I'm talking about EXPECTED BABIP. I've seen people on here say Haren isn't great because some guy before the season said his BABIP would be higher than it currently is.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    46,760
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    I'm talking about EXPECTED BABIP. I've seen people on here say Haren isn't great because some guy before the season said his BABIP would be higher than it currently is.
    I was referring to expected BABIP. If you look at his LD% GB% and FB% you can see where it should be compared to where it is. And there is absolutely no way he can continue to have a BABAIP of .241 with a 21LD%. He's still an extremely good pitcher, but he's not that good.

    And then. He made them pancakes.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,991
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    I'm talking about EXPECTED BABIP. I've seen people on here say Haren isn't great because some guy before the season said his BABIP would be higher than it currently is.
    A BABIP that low is simply unsustainable. He gives up 20.6% line drives, yet his BABIP is only .254. It should be much closer to .300, and he's beginning to regress towards it. He used be in the .210 area.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    44
    vCash
    1500
    You guys also said at the beginning of the season Floyd would never be good again...

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,044
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    You guys also said at the beginning of the season Floyd would never be good again...
    How would you know ? you signed up last month ????

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    You guys also said at the beginning of the season Floyd would never be good again...
    And this sub-forum hasn't been in existence since the beginning of the season. It started after the season started.

    So you're either A) a user who made a second account here, or B) lumping us in with someone else you know/read that preached Sabermetrics and said Floyd wouldn't be good. Or you're both.

    Anyway, it's fairly presumptuous of you to come into this one thread without having read anything about BABIP and make claims about how wrong it is. Try reading up on the subject, or if you don't want to, try reading what this forum has to say about it.

    If you don't want to do that, you really have no business posting here. The purpose of this forum is to have meaningful discussions about Sabermetrics based on facts and evidence, not conjecture.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    You guys also said at the beginning of the season Floyd would never be good again...
    Yes, had he continued the way he had been, he would have continued through the path of mediocrity. This season, he's upped his K's, lowered his walks, and lowered his HR/9.

    In fact, his FIP is lower than his current ERA.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
    Posts
    14,981
    vCash
    1500
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,039
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    God forbid someone try to better understand the game.

    Just so you know, Sabermetrics exist to find out why team A scores more runs than team B on a regular basis.

    Your comment here is the worst kond: ignorant, insulting, and overall useless to the conversation.

    Why are you even in the Sabermetrics forum if you dnnt accept them? You obviously aren't here to learn about them. Stop trolling.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    46,760
    vCash
    1500
    Milnertime=Failure at typing. Kond and dnnt? Lulz.

    But your point is correct. That post is pretty much a giant pile of "WTF?"


    And then. He made them pancakes.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    How do the teams score runs, smartass?
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,991
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    Good thing you're not a GM.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    644
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    I never realized it was that simple

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I don't take anything away from those that enjoy Sabermetrics, but to me, it is a bunch of hogwash. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. At the end of the day, if Team A scores more runs than Team B, then Team A wins. People who get that in depth about hitters and pitchers have way too much time on their hands.
    Are you serious? Do people really think thias way?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •