Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the Canucks' biggest threat this year?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flames

10 83.33%
  • Wild

1 8.33%
  • Oilers

0 0%
  • Avalanche

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Who's our biggest threat in the NW this year?

Here are the standings from last year.

Code:
     Northwest  	GP  	W  	L  	OTL  	Pts  	GF  	GA  	Home  	        Road  	  
     Vancouver 	82 	45 	27 	10 	100 	246 	220 	24-12-5 	21-15-5 	  
     Calgary 	82 	46 	30 	6 	98 	254 	248 	27-10-4 	19-20-2 	  
     Minnesota 	82 	40 	33 	9 	89 	219 	200 	23-11-7 	17-22-2 	  
     Edmonton 	82 	38 	35 	9 	85 	234 	248 	18-17-6 	20-18-3 	 
     Colorado 	82 	32 	45 	5 	69 	199 	257 	18-21-2 	14-24-3
    Canucks

key departures: G Jason Labarbera , D Matthias Ohlund, C Mats Sundin*
    key additions: G Andrew Raycroft, RW Michael Samuelsson

Flames

key departures: D Jordan Leopold, LW Michael Cammalleri
    key additions: D Jay Bouwmeester

Wild

key departures: RW Marian Gaborik
    key additions: RW Martin Havlat

Oilers

key departures: G Dwayne Roloson, RW Ales Kotalik
    key additions: G Nikolai Khabibulin

Avalanche

key departures: RW Ian Laperriere, LW Ryan Smyth, C Tyler Arnason, C Joe Sakic
    key additions: G Craig Anderson, D Kyle Quincey, D Tom Preissing

Obviously the offseason isn't over right now and rosters will still change, but as of now, who do you guys think is our biggest threat?

Been a slow off season.. need to keep this forum alive.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quick rundown as of now:

Canucks: Same team

Flames: Added a top pair defender,giving them 3(Dion,Jaybouw,Regehr). Lost Camm which hurts their O alot - Got better

Wild: Lost an oft injured but explosive winger and picked up a oft injured(less often though) scorer who overall is not as good - Stayed the same

Oilers: Got a better goalie, there goaltending was alright last year though, it's their offense that sucks - Got better

Avs: Rebuilding so not a threat at the moment - Watch out for them in 3-5 years

Overall I would say it has to be Calgary, but Mikka was lights out and times and terrible at others, so let's hope he doesn't stay consistent(unless he is consistently awful)

vCash
    yeah, it's between the wild and the flames for now. Flames getting Jbo probably gives them the edge. Although, i like Backstrom a lot more than Kiprusofft.

also, 3 teams got new coaches this year (flames, wild, oilers).

Lots can change yet. By the way, carson, go ahead and start making threads.. even if they're not about transactions
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    yeah, it's between the wild and the flames for now. Flames getting Jbo probably gives them the edge. Although, i like Backstrom a lot more than Kiprusofft.

also, 3 teams got new coaches this year (flames, wild, oilers).
    Yeah that could be an advantage to the Wild(coaching change) they always played that annoying trap so they will be more high scoring this year, which could put them over the top, they have some good offensive D-men.

I think the Oilers coaching change will be interesting, Quinn is a very good coach, but Mac was too. I'm just glad they didn't get Heatley

vCash
    because basically stayed the same team (resigning the sedins was a great move by the way, thanks gillis) do you even consider us the front runners for the division?
    #3in5

<3

vCash
    Considering Lu missed 20 games and we still finished first, I think I would consider us the favorites

vCash
    Well, everyone says the Flames are so much better, but they lost Cammalleri, and will probably lose Jokinen and Bertuzzi I figure. Sure they've got Bouwmeester on D now, but he now has a huge amount of pressure, whereas there was no spotlight in Florida. But, their coaching change will be a big plus for them.

Chicago is another team that could do some things, but they've lost Khabibulin and Havlat. Yeah, they have Hossa, but problems in goal.

I think it's still too early to say who'll be improved, the Canucks aren't finished making changes, all the other teams rushed in and did something, but Gillis is taking his time and I believe he'll still pull off a great deal for an offensive D-man and possibly another forward to play alongside Bernier and Raymond - assuming Wellwood's gone.

The Canucks and Flames will battle it out again for top spot in the NW.

vCash

NW Division 2009-2010

Imho, I don't think the Canucks stayed the same in overall talent.

We'll miss Mathias, but not as much as some think. His play was tailing off last season, and at times, he looked like he might have been disinterested. I believe Gillis will address the need for a seasoned puck mover, so the jury is out on the D for the moment. However, Edler, Mitchell, Bieksa, Salo, O'Brien, and supporting cast isn't terrible, so I'm not too worried.

Raycroft is an interesting addition...what do you do with Schneider? If Luongo signs for a five year extension, you have to beleive Corey will be moved. He deserves to play soon.

Up front-the Sedins have matured into those NHL vets that believe they can do it. Consistent, and hungrier than ever, the new contracts will help their game, not hurt it. Samuelsson is a brilliant addition. With Kesler, Burrows, Bernier, Raymond, Hordichuk, Johnson, Rypien-we look pretty solid up front. The sleeper will be Hodgson, who is a huge upgrade on Pyatt, and I think Demitra should be reunited with the glass groined Gaborik in the Big Apple. If he's not, Pavol will be a second liner for us, pushing Hodgson to the third line, which is just fine. Hansen is another wildcard...maybe traded near October for a 3rd rounder or sent down to the Moose. I think Kyle will be back too, great power play guy.

Grabner....? huge unknown until Vigneault gets to give him some big-league ice time. Is he another draft failure???

My fantasy is that Schneider, Hansen, and Demitra find their way to new teams with a top-six forward and a good puck moving D-man coming our way.

I see the Canucks as a better team this fall, but will the horrendous 14 game road-trip kill their chances for a second NW divsion crown in as many years? Hmmm...

Cheers...I can dream, can't I?
    Last edited by canuckfan1970; 07-20-2009 at 12:37 PM.

vCash
    ^^(jaw drop) that was quite indepth...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    because basically stayed the same team (resigning the sedins was a great move by the way, thanks gillis) do you even consider us the front runners for the division?
    That move seems even better now that we know Gionta is going to make 5.000 and Gabby over 7

Very nice post canucksfan. I also believe that Edler can step into Ohlunds role, which he was already doing last year, he just needs to shoot more, he has a huge point shot, he doesn't use it enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckfan1970 View Post
    Imho, I don't think the Canucks stayed the same in overall talent.

We'll miss Mathias, but not as much as some think. His play was tailing off last season, and at times, he looked like he might have been disinterested. I believe Gillis will address the need for a seasoned puck mover, so the jury is out on the D for the moment. However, Edler, Mitchell, Bieksa, Salo, O'Brien, and supporting cast isn't terrible, so I'm not too worried.

Raycroft is an interesting addition...what do you do with Schneider? If Luongo signs for a five year extension, you have to beleive Corey will be moved. He deserves to play soon.

Up front-the Sedins have matured into those NHL vets that believe they can do it. Consistent, and hungrier than ever, the new contracts will help their game, not hurt it. Samuelsson is a brilliant addition. With Kesler, Burrows, Bernier, Raymond, Hordichuk, Johnson, Rypien-we look pretty solid up front. The sleeper will be Hodgson, who is a huge upgrade on Pyatt, and I think Demitra should be reunited with the glass groined Gaborik in the Big Apple. If he's not, Pavol will be a second liner for us, pushing Hodgson to the third line, which is just fine. Hansen is another wildcard...maybe traded near October for a 3rd rounder or sent down to the Moose. I think Kyle will be back too, great power play guy.

Grabner....? huge unknown until Vigneault gets to give him some big-league ice time. Is he another draft failure???

My fantasy is that Schneider, Hansen, and Demitra find their way to new teams with a top-six forward and a good puck moving D-man coming our way.

I see the Canucks as a better team this fall, but will the horrendous 14 game road-trip kill their chances for a second NW divsion crown in as many years? Hmmm...

Cheers...I can dream, can't I?
    welcome to the canucks forum.

Gillis said Schneider will be competing with the backup job, but i highly doubt he's on our team come opening day. We signed raycroft to be our backup and with corey s. holding so much value we must trade him, assuming luongo gets his extension which should definitely happen.

Still lots more to come, including mats sundin. Who knows what happens with him. He hasn't yet come out to say he's officially retiring.

We just need to stay healthy this year. Luongo can't miss time, salo will definitely miss time which is unfortunate. But, hopefully his future injury isn't lengthy. Assuming we keep demitra, he can't get hurt this year. Too much i'm asking for, i guess.

Bolded part is what i wouldn't mind seeing either.
    #3in5

<3

vCash

Smile

What do we have in cap space to sign, about $5mill? In my dream world (many will disagree with me) Demitra goes east, and we give Mats $5mill for one last year. We take the remaining $4mill and go after Zubov. If that doesn't happen, we sign Mats anyways and secretly steal some genetic code from Scott Neidermayer and Rob Blake, inject it into O'Brien and Bieksa.

Hey, I'm allowed to fantasize, I've been a Canuck fan since before they joined the NHL.

vCash
    Welcome canuckfan. Great first post.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but our upgrades are still too marginal. We may improve our standing in the regular season, but we still don't match up that well with the big boys in the West.

We will upgrade with Samuelsson and Hodgson, but we badly need a puck moving D man.

Since Sammy has played with Sedin and Sedin before, I expect that combo to get some serious consideration. I also think Hodgson should at least start the season on the third line. That could mean a Burrows-Kesler-Demitra 2nd unit.

Good enough? Thoughts?

vCash
    Thanks, btw, for welcoming me to the fourm. To be honest with you, I've been monitoring these Pro Sports forums for a while after I had a 'difference of opinion' with the mods on the SN site. Apparently, if you're an Oilers fan, you can say anything you want...not so if you're a Canuck fan.

I like Matty Ohlund, but he was consistently overskating the puck, unable to be effective on the PP, and on the PK he was way too casual. I'm glad we didn't get JBo, because I think Edler will be better than him, and soon. Bieksa is our Garth Butcher with better skating and a better shot, and O'Brien figures to be a top-sixer all this season. Salo is a little more fragile than I would like, but he is smooth, isn't he? I groaned when they fired Quinn and Burke, wondered why...same with Nonis but hey! Gillis seems to have a plan, and the ONE problem I had with Canuck management going ALL the way back to 1970 was that they were too patient.

The last thing I want to see, though, is Kesler leave the team for Kaberle. You KNOW Burkey would do that in a heartbeat. What about Hansen, Raymond, and a second rounder for Kaberle? Naw, I know that's not rich enough for Burkey...but...? Would he take Demitra and a good set of BC Lions season tickets?

vCash
    Burrows-Kesler-Demitra for number 2? Maybe...if Alex can shake off the desire to backcheck too much...and Pavol stays healthy...I like the idea of Burrows-Hodgson-Bernier....something tells me that would be a great line...
    Last edited by canuckfan1970; 07-20-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast