Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: What is a .....

vCash

What is a .....

Quality Start for Starting Pitchers according to sabermetrics? If there is such a term using sabermetrics?
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    When a pitcher goes at least 6 innings with at most 3 ER allowed.

I think

vCash
    You mean a regular quality start?

vCash
    like do sabermetrics use anything else for a quality start or is just the basic 6 innings pitched 3 runs given up.

I was randomly thinking about this because it seems like a simple thing, and i know saber guys hate Earned runs as a stat
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    you over rate OBP. especially for the White Sox who leave countless in scoring position. RBI is a way more important stat then OBP anyday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan729 View Post
    interesting. but obviously can have exploits.
    for example a pitcher can give up a HR every single inning, and have a higher than quality start score(50) as long as he strikes guys out.

vCash
    It wouldn't take just "striking guys out" to achieve a game score of 50 (assuming all of the runs were earned)--it would be striking 17 guys out, which is a fairly extraordinary total.

Just about any statistic has "exploits". Unless you intend to use it for extreme situations (and Game Score is not intended to be used for extreme situations), or the flaws are so great that even ordinary games will cause it to break down (and there's nothing ordinary about your scenario), it's particularly bothersome.

Kevin Harlow has published a DIPS Game Score model which uses FIP coefficients, if anyone is interested.

GSDIPS = 50 + IP + 2*K – 3*BB – 13*HR

FWIW, it would give the home run an inning, 17 K pitcher a -24 score.
    Last edited by Toirtap; 08-15-2009 at 03:24 PM.

vCash
    I don't know about the official saber quality start but mine is 2X as many K per walks, 7 innings, 3 runs or less. There should be a difference between "quality" and "just scraping by in 6 innings allowing a run every other inning".

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.