Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Where will these guys end up? part1

Baseball's trading deadline (without waivers) is July 31, and there is almost always a flurry of activity as the contenders try to find that last piece to the pennant puzzle. These players are the most likely to be on the move.

1. Jake Peavy, Padres
    Assuming the Padres hit a skid in June, Peavy will have a new address by August, probably with a National League team, after he rejected a trade to the White Sox. The Cubs have always been the team that everybody talks about with Peavy. Don't be surprised if the Phillies and Mets get interested, too, and maybe drive up the price.

2. Matt Holliday, A's
    Holliday has MVP-caliber talent, and his deal is up after the season, but he's doing no favors for the A's. The A's are in last place and Holliday's numbers are down, with six homers as of May 29. But he has a great track record, and a contender will emerge with terms the A's want. Maybe across the bay in San Francisco? The Dodgers have to cool off for that to make sense for the Giants, however. No use trading for Holliday without a pennant race.

3. Nick Johnson, Nationals
    As expected, Washington isn't going anywhere this season. So the power-hitting Johnson, who is healthy for the first time in years, is expendable, and is attractive because of a hot start. The Mets are the best fit with Carlos Delgado injured, but several other teams are likely to jump in. He's just 31, with an expiring contract.

4. Jose Valverde, Astros
    Houston has been disappointing, in last place, and last-place teams don't need dominant closers with expiring contracts. If the Rays are in the thick of things in the AL East, he'd be a great fit for the defending AL champs, especially now that Troy Percival's future is in question.

5. Doug Davis, Diamondbacks
    He flies under the radar, but the Diamondbacks left-hander is a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter who seldom has a great record, but doesn't hurt you, either. With some run support, he could be a key to a pennant contender. He also has an expiring deal, so he likely won't cost much in return, either.

6. Brad Penny, Red Sox
    Why would a contender trade a dependable starting pitcher? Because they already have too many. If John Smoltz shows he's ready, Penny becomes expendable. And he will head to a contender somewhere. Besides the Red Sox, who doesn't need a starter? You can bet he'd go back to the NL, however, as the Red Sox won't want to aid a potential rival. He also has an expiring contract.

7. Hank Blalock, Rangers
    Hard to believe Blalock is only 28. So he has some mileage left, and if the Rangers slip up - they're in first place as of May 27 - expect Blalock to be on the block, to a team that needs a power bat or a third baseman.

8. Dan Uggla, Marlins
    A longer shot, as the 29-year-old second baseman is under contract for three more seasons with the Marlins. But Florida has always been a team that wheels and deals more than others, and they might decide Uggla is the key to a deal that restocks the farm system. He makes $5.43 million, and would likely go to a team that wants a new second baseman, not a half-season fill-in.

9. Erik Bedard, Mariners
    This one is a little more iffy. He's got another year on his deal, but if the Mariners decide they're probably not a contender next year and want to stockpile some youngsters, he'll fetch more than just about everybody on this list in a trade. He's left-handed with a good track record and is having a very good 2009 season (2.48 ERA as of May 29).

vCash
    half of these guys r hurt

vCash
    Half are hurt and the info is all wrong.
    "If beer has never touched your lips, if you never dropped the mitts or packed a lip, you are not a hockey player, and if you are, chances are your not a very good one"

Toddy Bertuzzi

vCash
    Jake Peavy just got out of his walking boot and claims to be pain-free. However, any GM that doesn't wait for him to prove it, is a fool. If Peavey moves, it will be after at least one outing, maybe two... and it will be VERY close to the deadline. Look for the White Sox to take another run at him. An AL team would give him more of a chance to avoid reinjuring his ankle. I think he might be intrigued by the AL East, as well, depending on what happens to Roy Halladay, who will likely move before Peavey does.

Matt Holliday hasn't flourished in Oakland, as he came there in a deal that was out-of-character for them. I believe he has felt like a visitor, given their history of trading talent when it gets too expensive. He's a real classy kid, from Oklahoma, and I think he felt the love in Colorado. If he were to remain on the West Coast, I would say the Giants could use him. I've heard him mentioned with St. Louis, but I don't think they have the need, really. the Mets could use a player like him, with all their injuries, and I think the Phils are basically done, with the possible exception of pitching. Giants

Nick Johnson has been hitting prety well this year, and his D is always above par. I've heard Boston as a possible landing spot for him, so they can move Youkilis back to third, with Lowell hurt. Honestly, that's one of the few teams with a need at that position. Red Sox

Jose Valverde was rumored to be garnering interest from the Yankees, but Phil Hughes has filled in well, out of the pen. I can see where the Rays may be interested, as you said, but there will still be plenty of teams buying with a need for relief pitching. Rays, Tigers, Mets?

Doug Davis. Rumor is that the D-Backs are maybe gonna offer him an extension, because of the very reasons you state that he would be a great pickup, especially the price tag. He's not a guy they have to unload in a salary dump, and I don't think anybody is gonna back up a truckload of talent for him. He stays in Arizona.

Brad Penny will probably remain with the Sox, because of Smoltz's age and the potential for late season injury to the pitching staff. He's gonna be their insurance policy. Let's face it, the Sox are the new Evil Empire... lol. Unless someone offers up a really great first baseman/shortstop type package, he'll still be with the Sox. See next paragraph, though...

Hank Blalock MAY be the guy who the Rangers trade for a bona fide pitcher. I think that he might be just what the Sox are looking for, as he can play first and third base. So you may see the Rangers dangle himout there to the Sox, in exchange for Penny. Red Sox, in this scenario.

Dan Uggla is a non-issue, if you ask me. He's not the impact player that teams WANT at the deadline. Who has a need at 2nd base that would consider him a major upgrade? Mr. Uggla will be in Florida, teeing it up, all October long. Florida

Erik Bedard is one of the few trading chips that the Mariners have. I don't think they can afford to deal him, as he's playing one of the lead solos in Griffey's swansong. Can anyone name another starter, beyond Bedard, Washburn, and King Felix? I'm not being mean or sarcastic... I can't name them... The only way Bedard moves is if they can find a taker for Beltre's salary and have to sweeten the pot.

Ok... I'm bracing for the replies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torontosports10 View Post
    Half are hurt and the info is all wrong.
    More like out-of-date.

vCash
    "Half these guys I've never heard of... and the ones I have are way past their prime."

"These guy here is dead."

"Cross him off then."

vCash
    I'm confused. Why did you post an article from about.com without giving any credit to the author or a link to the article?
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I'm confused. Why did you post an article from about.com without giving any credit to the author or a link to the article?
    How are you confused when you solved the discrepancy that you brought up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylee722 View Post
    "Half these guys I've never heard of... and the ones I have are way past their prime."

"These guy here is dead."

"Cross him off then."
    haha you're alright in my book. Nothing like Rachel Phelps running a team.

vCash
    3. Nick Johnson, Nationals
    As expected, Washington isn't going anywhere this season. So the power-hitting Johnson, who is healthy for the first time in years, is expendable, and is attractive because of a hot start. The Mets are the best fit with Carlos Delgado injured, but several other teams are likely to jump in. He's just 31, with an expiring contract.
    We're talking about Nick Johnson, right? Only hit more than 15 HR's once in his career. When did he become a power hitter?

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    We're talking about Nick Johnson, right? Only hit more than 15 HR's once in his career. When did he become a power hitter?
    I was thinking the same thing.

vCash
    the astros arent in last place...they are only 3 games back of the division lead.
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    the astros arent in last place...they are only 3 games back of the division lead.
    yeah this is from like 2 months ago.