Yesterday, while playing 36 holes with my buddies I had something happen that I have heard of and seen on tour, but never had happen to myself or any playing partners...and the circumstances seemed a little different to me.

So...hit a shot on a par 3 to about 8-10 feet. Hit my birdie putt and had it stop on the high side of the hole, overlooking the cup. I paused for a couple seconds, not believing that it hadn't fallen and then walked up to the ball and was preparing to address the golf ball and, BEFORE placing my putter behind the ball, the ball fell in the hole. We were split on what to call the hole...birdie or par. I looked into the rules

Rule 16-2, ball Overhanging Hole. When any part of the ball overhangs the lip of the hole, the player is allowed enough time to reach the hole without unreasonable delay and an additional ten seconds to determine whether the ball is at rest. If by then the ball has not fallen into the hole, it is deemed to be at rest. If the ball subsequently falls into the hole, the player is deemed to have holed out with his last stroke, and he must add a penalty stroke to his score for the hole; otherwise, there is no penalty under this Rule.

So...looking at the rule, I am pretty sure that I had a birdie, 2 and not a par, 3 (didn't matter...we were playing a 3-2-1 validation skins game where you have to validate the skin on the following hole with a par or better...and I made bogey). Again, I paused for maybe 3 seconds in amazement that the putt hadn't fallen, walked to the ball and was getting ready to address the ball, I had not grounded the putter anywhere near the ball (in fact the putter was on the way down over top of and behind the ball getting ready to address the ball) and I had not done anything ridiculous (jumping up and down or blowing on the ball) and I had not waited any unreasonable amount and had definitely not waited longer than 10 seconds once reaching the ball.

Am I right?

Also...I figured this would be a good spot to post rules type questions for the few people that post in the golf forum.