Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Major L.A.-Toronto Trade Idea - What do Kings fans think?

First of all I realize what I'm proposing here has about a snowball's chance of actually happening. I think it's relatively fair to both teams though, and they can both plug holes. A 7 asset for 5 asset swap between Toronto and L.A. is what I've come up with. (I'll include the cap numbers for next year that I was able to find.)

To Los Angeles

Tomas Kaberle - cap hit of $4.25 million - Sad to see him go, but he would more than fill the holes left by Tom Preissing and Kyle Quincey from the Smyth trade, a top flight PP quarterback, and pretty good 5-on-5 D-man for a reasonable cap hit.
    Garnet Exelby - cap hit of $1.392 million - Add some size and grit to the Kings back end at a decent salary. Kabby and Exelby for essentially the same price as Bouwmeester isn't that bad
    Matt Stajan - cap hit of $1.75 million - again, sad to see him leave, but LA. would get a young, cheap, experienced 3rd line/spot 2nd Line forward, and a pretty good penalty killer.
    Jiri Tlusty - cap hit of $855,000 - potential 1st line winger down the road who showed flashes of brilliance (5 and 6 point games) late last year for the Marlies.
    Vesa Toskala - $ 4 million, or Justin Pogge - RFA, guessing maybe $800,000 - Either L.A. can have Toskala for a contract year at 4 mil, or Pogge to try and push Bernier in Manchester if the Kings leave him there for seasoning.
    2010 1st Round Pick, 2010 3rd Round Pick - If both teams miss the playoffs, LA will have 2 lottery picks, and even if they both make it, they end up with 5 of the top 90 picks next year (provided they hold their own 1st through 3rd Rounders next year). This could allow them to add 2 assets roughly the value of (have you guessed why I picked L.A. yet) Brayden Schenn.

So, with the different cap hits for Toskala or Pogge the cap hit going to L.A. would be between 9.05 and 12.25 million.

To Toronto

Alexander Frolov - cap hit = $4 million - First line talent, only 4 million. (I'd swap out Handzus for the same cap hit to make this deal work if L.A. doesn't want to give up Frolov.)
    Brayden Schenn - cap hit approx. $2.5 million - Potential Schenn and Schenn Foundation for the franchise... enough said.
    Jack Johnson - RFA - I'd give him 3 yrs for 7-9 million or 4 for 9-12 million, or Sean O'Donnell - cap hit 1.25 million - If L.A. doesn't want to give up Frolov, I'd insist on Johnson's rights being included. O'Donnell can tutor the Marlies d-men like Harrison and Oreskovic or be bought out.
    2010 2nd Round Pick, 2010 4th Round Pick - Multiple middle round picks next year to add depth to the farm.

Cap hit going back to Toronto would be between $7.75 million (O'Donnell instead of Johnson) and $8.75-$9.50 million (depending on how much Johnson signed for)

I realize L.A. didn't want to give up the 5 pick this year just for Kaberle, but I think the added pieces makes it a pretty even swap. Toronto does overpay in my scenario for Johnson, but with his salary demands (apparently) L.A. is hesitant to sign him. 2.25-3 million for a kid with his potential would be underpaid by the end of the deal if he fulfills said potential. Also, this type of scenario should appeal to Burke because he can lay the foundation with a massive trade to unite a brother tandem like he did with the Sedins, only the Leafs end up with a couple Saskatchewan boys as the heart and soul of the roster (Brayden will be on equal footing with Luke based on how much the Leafs would have to work to get him) I'd have Brayden start the year on the 3rd line and give him spot 2nd line duty, essentially replacing Stajan and if he has a rough first 9 games, to the A it is.

What do you guys think? Too much time on my hands, crackpot, what?

P.S. If you can't tell, I kinda want to see the Schenns together in Blue and White.

P.P.S. You guys still owe us for '93! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51jmflc5Io http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYvP5UrXWNA
    Last edited by Fifeseebong; 07-15-2009 at 05:20 PM.

vCash
    stupid trade idea.....

1st- frolov, JMFJ and schenn for pretty much kaberle and stajan and toskala?? thats way too much for us to lose!!!

2nd- the kings dont need to fill priessings position since he played in the minors all year.

3rd- we're not giving up schenn to the burke for anything cheap. he will play for the kings soon tearing apart the nhl.

vCash
    hell no. what about Tomas Kaberle for J. Johnson?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by plpfctn View Post
    hell no. what about Tomas Kaberle for J. Johnson?
    That trade would make zero sense. An elite puck mover, consistent all-star,top 5 offensive d-man and a top 10 d-man straight up for potential, a supposed "bad character guy and someone who wants way too much money without proving himself makes no sense.

vCash
    Toronto does that deal in a second - even though I don't think Burke would particularly care for Frolov.

vCash
    both of those trade ideas are stupid.

schenn is our prospect center for years to come. quick is our started and toskala is garbage now.

frolov was our leading goal scorer.

this wholee idea is stupid. lombardi would never budge
    Last edited by kopitarfan81; 07-21-2009 at 11:27 PM.

vCash
    how about kings trade cloutier, richardson and calder for luke schenn, j. blake and gustavsson?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Stoner View Post
    how about kings trade cloutier, richardson and calder for luke schenn, j. blake and gustavsson?

only if we had calder or cloutier haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifeseebong View Post
    First of all I realize what I'm proposing here has about a snowball's chance of actually happening. I think it's relatively fair to both teams though, and they can both plug holes. A 7 asset for 5 asset swap between Toronto and L.A. is what I've come up with. (I'll include the cap numbers for next year that I was able to find.)

To Los Angeles

Tomas Kaberle - cap hit of $4.25 million - Sad to see him go, but he would more than fill the holes left by Tom Preissing and Kyle Quincey from the Smyth trade, a top flight PP quarterback, and pretty good 5-on-5 D-man for a reasonable cap hit.
    Garnet Exelby - cap hit of $1.392 million - Add some size and grit to the Kings back end at a decent salary. Kabby and Exelby for essentially the same price as Bouwmeester isn't that bad
    Matt Stajan - cap hit of $1.75 million - again, sad to see him leave, but LA. would get a young, cheap, experienced 3rd line/spot 2nd Line forward, and a pretty good penalty killer.
    Jiri Tlusty - cap hit of $855,000 - potential 1st line winger down the road who showed flashes of brilliance (5 and 6 point games) late last year for the Marlies.
    Vesa Toskala - $ 4 million, or Justin Pogge - RFA, guessing maybe $800,000 - Either L.A. can have Toskala for a contract year at 4 mil, or Pogge to try and push Bernier in Manchester if the Kings leave him there for seasoning.
    2010 1st Round Pick, 2010 3rd Round Pick - If both teams miss the playoffs, LA will have 2 lottery picks, and even if they both make it, they end up with 5 of the top 90 picks next year (provided they hold their own 1st through 3rd Rounders next year). This could allow them to add 2 assets roughly the value of (have you guessed why I picked L.A. yet) Brayden Schenn.

So, with the different cap hits for Toskala or Pogge the cap hit going to L.A. would be between 9.05 and 12.25 million.

To Toronto

Alexander Frolov - cap hit = $4 million - First line talent, only 4 million. (I'd swap out Handzus for the same cap hit to make this deal work if L.A. doesn't want to give up Frolov.)
    Brayden Schenn - cap hit approx. $2.5 million - Potential Schenn and Schenn Foundation for the franchise... enough said.
    Jack Johnson - RFA - I'd give him 3 yrs for 7-9 million or 4 for 9-12 million, or Sean O'Donnell - cap hit 1.25 million - If L.A. doesn't want to give up Frolov, I'd insist on Johnson's rights being included. O'Donnell can tutor the Marlies d-men like Harrison and Oreskovic or be bought out.
    2010 2nd Round Pick, 2010 4th Round Pick - Multiple middle round picks next year to add depth to the farm.

Cap hit going back to Toronto would be between $7.75 million (O'Donnell instead of Johnson) and $8.75-$9.50 million (depending on how much Johnson signed for)

I realize L.A. didn't want to give up the 5 pick this year just for Kaberle, but I think the added pieces makes it a pretty even swap. Toronto does overpay in my scenario for Johnson, but with his salary demands (apparently) L.A. is hesitant to sign him. 2.25-3 million for a kid with his potential would be underpaid by the end of the deal if he fulfills said potential. Also, this type of scenario should appeal to Burke because he can lay the foundation with a massive trade to unite a brother tandem like he did with the Sedins, only the Leafs end up with a couple Saskatchewan boys as the heart and soul of the roster (Brayden will be on equal footing with Luke based on how much the Leafs would have to work to get him) I'd have Brayden start the year on the 3rd line and give him spot 2nd line duty, essentially replacing Stajan and if he has a rough first 9 games, to the A it is.

What do you guys think? Too much time on my hands, crackpot, what?

P.S. If you can't tell, I kinda want to see the Schenns together in Blue and White.

P.P.S. You guys still owe us for '93! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N51jmflc5Io http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYvP5UrXWNA
    Sorry man but that trade wouldn't really make sense for either team, especially the Leafs. L.A would essentially be dumping Frolov, Johnson and O'donnel for our first round pick which is likely a lottery pick and just as vaulable as B.Schenn for a point per game prospect in Tlusty, an emerging Center in Stajan, our starting goalie in Toskala, Kaberle a top d-man with a great contract and Exelby a third pairing d-man. I'm sorry but that's how the trade breaks down. Keep something in mind here, the NHL these days is capped. You trade contracts for contracts(skill isn't always first priority) while prospects and picks are much more valuable for any team. The Leafs lose way too much just to have a brother connection.

We'd love to have Brayden Schenn in Toronto but he's no saviour. He's likely a second line Center, nothing wrong with that. He's a strong two-way player with nice offensive upside, likely a Mike Peca type with more offense. Sure Johnson has upside but his attitude is clearly an issue as well as insane contact demands. I've always liked Frolov but his contract is expiring and he's likely to test free agency. You can use Brayden as a bargaining chip but he's just a prospect who hasn't proven anything. Their are very few sure-fire prospects in this league and Schenn definitely isn't one of them. Just wouldn't make sense.

vCash
    this trade is stupid on both ends but i see toronto gettin way more in return. frolov is an amazing goal scorer and JMFJ, once he comes out of his shell, will be one hell of an offensive yet bonecrushing defesemen. we wont part with either with out a lot i return. the leafs dont have enough to offer us

vCash
    I'll put this in the "I've got nothing better to do until the season starts so i'll start a stupid trade thread and see what happens." catagory.

vCash
    Jack Johnson doesnt have a bad attitude.

jeez if everyone would stop following eklund!!!!

its his dad that is the issue not him. Johnson's dad is alot like Eric Lindros's dad.

Jack wants to stay in LA he has no attitude or demand what so ever.

vCash
    Stajan needs to step up and get some goals

vCash
    ^^Stajan has 3 already...

vCash
    leafs fans need to take a step back and realize nobody wants their junk peices!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast