Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Questions for my Interview

So im writing this sabermetrics paper for school (real basic saber stats and overview of the topic itself) and part of my paper is sports televisions view on statistical analysis in general. In the next few weeks ill be interviewing various people at Comcast Sportsnet Chicago and if im lucky enough the Cubs and Sox play by play and color guys.

Ive already got a decent amount of questions but since you all probly know the topic better than i are there any questions you think might be relevant to ask to TV people about their baseball coverage?
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!

vCash
    You should ask Pods if he recalculates his VORP before every at bat ala Marco Scutaro.

vCash
    All I know is Len Casper, the Cubs play-by-play man, is saber educated. He sneaks things into his broadcasts every so often be it a BP or fangraphs name drop. He likes to use OBP to judge players instead of BA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by farmiofan1 View Post
    you should ask pods if he recalculates his vorp before every at bat ala marco scutaro.
    Hahaha

vCash
    You should ask all of them if they even know what sabermetrics is....especially Hawk if you get to talk to him.

You should also ask him if it gets boring saying the exact same things over and over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whitesoxfan83 View Post
    So im writing this sabermetrics paper for school (real basic saber stats and overview of the topic itself) and part of my paper is sports televisions view on statistical analysis in general. In the next few weeks ill be interviewing various people at Comcast Sportsnet Chicago and if im lucky enough the Cubs and Sox play by play and color guys.

Ive already got a decent amount of questions but since you all probly know the topic better than i are there any questions you think might be relevant to ask to TV people about their baseball coverage?
    I think one question that should be asked, assuming you dont come off like a condescending prick (which A LOT of ppl on these boards do), is to ask something like "is it possible that bc many announcers dont fully understand sabremetrics, they are hesitant to use them during a broadcast at the risk of saying something incorrect or sounding ignorant."