Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Best Player in the Decade of the 2000's. Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Garnett or Wade

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shaq

62 22.06%
  • Duncan

59 21.00%
  • Kobe

123 43.77%
  • Lebron

9 3.20%
  • Garnett

4 1.42%
  • Wade

24 8.54%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    It's still defense. And its just as helpful as man to man defense.
    Nope. Man on man defense is a much, much larger part of the game.

And Lebron was 2nd in the DPOY voting.
    How is the DPOY voting even relevant in an argument about defense? Chris Paul was also in the top 5.

The writers who vote don't vote upon the best defenders...Otherwise we would have seen Bowen, Battier, etc. be in the top 5 for years, but they never were. IT IS A POPULARITY CONTEST. Essentially, the writers just vote for the best and most popular players.

Re-enactment:

Writer: "So who are you going to vote for DPOY?"
    Writer#2: "I'm going to put Lebron, Wade, Kobe, and Chris Paul. They have such great stats as they all have a great PER and average over 20 PPG."
    Writer: "We are just supposed to vote for defense though."
    Writer#2: "Well, I live in St. Louis and don't have NBA League Pass so I don't see many games. I just vote for the best players in the game."
    Writer: "Sounds cool. I will to."

^That is pretty much an exact conversation between two writers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J_M_B View Post
    Not good defenders? Lebron 2nd in DOY Wade 3rd on the voting.
    They are not good man defenders. DPOY is irrelevant to defensive play.

vCash
    Its Shaq.

People are saying that Shaq shouldn't be player of the decade because the only "played" for 6 years.

What about Jordan? He was the best player in the 90's and its not even a debate but he only played 6 years.

Just because you play 6 years doesn't mean you take away how much they acheive throughout that decade.
    MJ never declined throughout the decade. Plus, his accomplishments in his decade were much greater than Shaq's accomplishments. Remember, MJ played 6 years and was great all 6....Shaq played 10, but was average in 4. That is a HUGE difference. Apples and Oranges bud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYtilIdie View Post
    Duncan he has been a force ever since he entered the league he is "Mr. Fundamentals" 4 NBA titles, 2 Finals MVP, 2 season MVP IMO he was always the main key to the Spurs winning the championships. Last year was a horrible season for him, but everybody has one. It would be a tie between him and Shaq.

A.I. could be mentioned hes dominated every season until last season, but like I said everybody has one. Also Kidd could be mentioned too
    You just mention Shaq, Duncan, A.I., and Kidd without mentioning Kobe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMIN12NBA View Post
    Nope. Man on man defense is a much, much larger part of the game.

How is the DPOY voting even relevant in an argument about defense? Chris Paul was also in the top 5.

The writers who vote don't vote upon the best defenders...Otherwise we would have seen Bowen, Battier, etc. be in the top 5 for years, but they never were. IT IS A POPULARITY CONTEST. Essentially, the writers just vote for the best and most popular players.

Re-enactment:

Writer: "So who are you going to vote for DPOY?"
    Writer#2: "I'm going to put Lebron, Wade, Kobe, and Chris Paul. They have such great stats as they all have a great PER and average over 20 PPG."
    Writer: "We are just supposed to vote for defense though."
    Writer#2: "Well, I live in St. Louis and don't have NBA League Pass so I don't see many games. I just vote for the best players in the game."
    Writer: "Sounds cool. I will to."

^That is pretty much an exact conversation between two writers.
    I thought team defense was more important than man to man defense. Teams like the Spurs and Celtics thrive on defense because they work as a team and help each other, not because they guard individual players.

So when guys like Garnett, Jordan, and Payton won the award, it didn't mean anything?

and when guys like Kobe, Garnett, Duncan and other players get into the all-defensive team, it doesn't mean anything?

Also, the voters are professional who actually work to study the NBA. I would trust them more than you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ko8e24 View Post
    Please, stop downplaying Shaq's legacy. Stop being a hater. We were all wintesses early on in this decade when we saw the most unstoppable, immovable force ever. Anyone can have that body type, but its those who are able to capitalize and recognize the opponents' weaknesses that makes them so great.
    Anyone can have that body type? I stopped reading there.
    Name three players in the history of the league who have had that body type, meaning over 7 feet tall and over 350 pounds.

Wilt Chamberlain (perhaps the name is familiar) was far more dominant.
    Bill Russell (11 championships) was far more dominant.
    Shaq never scored 50 points per game for an entire season.
    Shaq never averaged over 20 rebounds per game for an entire season.
    Shaq led the league in scoring for a season once, ten years ago.
    Russell averaged over 20 points and 20 rebounds per game for an entire season. Russell, in fact, averaged 22 rebounds per game for his entire career. He was only 6-9 and 220 pounds.

Don't talk about body type and dominance when there is no point.
    Eleven championships in 13 seasons is dominant.
    Simply being bigger and allowed to get away with more is not dominance.

vCash
    Top Players of the Decade: Duncan, Kobe and Shaq, no one else belongs in the argument.

Duncan: 4 titles, 2 finals mvps, 2 mvps

Shaq: 4 titles, 3 finals mvps, 1 mvp

Kobe: 4 titles, 1 finals mvp, 1 mvp, 2 scoring titles
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

vCash
    POLL Stands for itself, kobe obviously, the guy is always in the conversation with michael you never here anyone else, your starting to hear lebron in the conversation but dont kid yourself , yah im a kobe fan, but all you know he is the best since jordan not a big deal just admit it. Dont hate, the more you hate, the better he gets. Lets not forget hes ahead of jordan at his age.

vCash
    You just mention Shaq, Duncan, A.I., and Kidd without mentioning Kobe.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/nl7ngy.jpg

Bring Back the Zen Master.

vCash
    MJ never declined throughout the decade. Plus, his accomplishments in his decade were much greater than Shaq's accomplishments. Remember, MJ played 6 years and was great all 6....Shaq played 10, but was average in 4. That is a HUGE difference. Apples and Oranges bud.
    Who'd you vote for? Kobe?

And Ya but look at the way people are arguing it.

They said 6 years doesn't make a decade. So their saying just because he hasn't performed at a top level in the 4 years, they exclude the 6 years of greatness he's had.

vCash
    Why is Lebron on that list he has done nothing even close to the rest

vCash
    Who's acheived more from 2000 until now.

4 titles, 3 Finals MVPs, MVP, All star considerations, and has better stats than anyone else since 2000

And if I ask you who the best player was in the 90's, your not going to say Jordan? Cuz technically, he was only around for 6 years in the 90's.
    Jordan retired shaq did not Jordan dominated at the beginning of the 90s to the end of the 90s and didn't have nearly the competition Shaq has here with Timmy and Kobe name another person in the 90s that even comes close to anything Jordan did and achieved??? Exactly you can't! Now name someone in this decade that has come close or gives shaq competition for best of the decade.....well you got Timmy and Kobe who happen to still be dominating "this decade"!!!

Remember Jordans the GOAT and happened to set the bar for all these young players and happens to be who everyone is trying to be better than and who everyone is chasing! But pretty sure you already knew that.....i hope

vCash
    I thought team defense was more important than man to man defense.
    Yes...And?

Man defense is a part of a great team defensive unit.

Teams like the Spurs and Celtics thrive on defense because they work as a team and help each other, not because they guard individual players.
    Yes they do. Bowen was the Spurs stopper. Duncan could do so as well. The Celtics had Posey be a stopper and we all know about KG's dominant individual defense.

So when guys like Garnett, Jordan, and Payton won the award, it didn't mean anything?
    They usually get the #1 guy correct, which is good. After that, it is (admittedly by writers even) a popularity contest to garner more attention for top players. Lebron was not really a good defender this year. ESPN just decided to tout him as one and he became one...magically.

Don't you find it interesting how a guy who had very poor defensive skills (downright atrocious at times) became a DPOY candidate overnight? I don't...because I know the business of marketing. ESPN decided to market Lebron as a good defender and, thus, public opinion changed. Most people don't have NBA League Pass so they are not able to actually see these players on a night to night basis.

and when guys like Kobe, Garnett, Duncan and other players get into the all-defensive team, it doesn't mean anything?
    The Coaches vote for all-defensive teams, but even they are under pressure to put the top players in.

Also, the voters are professional who actually work to study the NBA. I would trust them more than you.
    Am I supposed to care who you trust?

BTW--The voters are not professionals who work to study the NBA. MOST of these guys are writers or broadcasters. Heck, dudes from CNN get votes.

PM me if you want more info because it seems like you are kinda uneducated or naive about this process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB/LAL View Post
    Jordan retired shaq did not Jordan dominated at the beginning of the 90s to the end of the 90s and didn't have nearly the competition Shaq has here with Timmy and Kobe name another person in the 90s that even comes close to anything Jordan did and achieved??? Exactly you can't! Now name someone in this decade that has come close or gives shaq competition for best of the decade.....well you got Timmy and Kobe!!!

Remember Jordans the GOAT and happened to set the bar for all these young players and happens to be who everyone is trying to be better than and who everyone is chasing! But pretty sure you already knew that.....i hope
    Ya but people are arguing even though he's acheived more than everyone in the 6 years, he was mediocre in the 4 years so they take away the 6 years of greatness he acheived.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakersfan2483 View Post
    Top Players of the Decade: Duncan, Kobe and Shaq, no one else belongs in the argument.

Duncan: 4 titles, 2 finals mvps, 2 mvps

Shaq: 4 titles, 3 finals mvps, 1 mvp

Kobe: 4 titles, 1 finals mvp, 1 mvp, 2 scoring titles
    3 titles actually.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast