Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Most overrated Batter

who in your opinion, is the most overrated batter, when it comes to comparing "fantasy stats" to SABR stats. Meaning which player puts up inflated baseball card stats.

Not looking to start any arguments, just trying to do due diligence for next years fantasy season by making notes before this season ends.

vCash
    Ichiro comes to mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka23 View Post
    Ichiro comes to mind.
    How?

I'd say Michael Young. Mike Jacobs would be another one. Francouer as well.

Basically pick the guy who can hit HR but do nothing else, or guys who play in hitters parks and have a lot of RBI. You're bound to find one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    How?

Basically pick the guy who can hit HR but do nothing else, or guys who play in hitters parks and have a lot of RBI. You're bound to find one.
    Michael Young? A .327 average and 18 HRs is so overrated

vCash
    You really don't see the flaw in citing fantasy stats in regards to an assertion that Michael Young is overrated by fantasy stats?

Personally, I'm not crazy about the term "overrated" since there is no universal rating out there. But Gigantes is right that generally speaking, RBI guys at offensive positions tend to be one of the most overrated groups, by both fantasy evaluation and MVP voters. Another class of players that have more fantasy value than actual value (but aren't really fawned over except for fantasy) are basestealers. Particularly those that do little else offensively like Taveras, Bourn, etc.

vCash
    Mike Jacobs is overrated? I don't think a lot of people even know who he is now haha.

vCash
    How?

Adam Dunn?
    "You don't choose to be a Liverpool fan. You get chosen."
    Kenny Dalglish

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaustinSali08 View Post
    Adam Dunn?
    He walks. A lot.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C1Bman88 View Post
    He walks. A lot.
    this. is an understatement.
    haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    Michael Young? A .327 average and 18 HRs is so overrated
    Whoa I completely didn't mean to say Michael Young.

vCash
    Whoa I completely didn't mean to say Michael Young.
    Thank god.

vCash
    I think the definition is fuzzy here - even though it said "batter".

Michael Young gets a lot of hits and has a high BA, but his OBP is lowish, his fielding well below average, and his salary massive. To me he is overrated, but to anyone looking at '09 offensive output alone, he looks pretty good.

Dunn is very productive offensive player (more productive then Ichiro for instance), he stinks on D.

I would nominate players in pairs to show the differences:

Rod Carew vs. Joe Morgan. Most think Carew is better because of the sky high batting averages, but in reality Morgan pounds Carew into the ground. I refuse to defend Morgan as a broadcaster.

Albert Belle vs Juan Gonzalez. Belle was clearly better, Juan G got the two MVP's and 5 times 42 or more HR's

Ken Singelton vs Jim Rice. It's pretty close, but most people would say Rice wins easily, and in fact he does not, KS was an easily better player - a fair amount of that on D.

So what criteria are we using?

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Michael Young gets a lot of hits and has a high BA, but his OBP is lowish, his fielding well below average, and his salary massive. To me he is overrated, but to anyone looking at '09 offensive output alone, he looks pretty good.

Dunn is very productive offensive player (more productive then Ichiro for instance), he stinks on D.

Rod Carew vs. Joe Morgan. Most think Carew is better because of the sky high batting averages, but in reality Morgan pounds Carew into the ground. I refuse to defend Morgan as a broadcaster.

Albert Belle vs Juan Gonzalez. Belle was clearly better, Juan G got the two MVP's and 5 times 42 or more HR's

Ken Singelton vs Jim Rice. It's pretty close, but most people would say Rice wins easily, and in fact he does not, KS was an easily better player - a fair amount of that on D.

Is that even possible?

vCash
    Ian Kinsler. I've been saying this all year long, not just now.

I know he was good on the road last year, but that was it. The dude's a product of Arlington.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Considering how he said "when it comes to comparing "fantasy stats" to SABR stats. Meaning which player puts up inflated baseball card stats," I think he wants to know wo is overrated when it comes to comparing "fantasy stats" to SABR stats. Or in other words, which player puts up inflated baseball card stats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast