Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Shane O'Brien Re-signs 1 year/1.6 mil

Shane O'Brien thought he might be moved last season at the NHL trade deadline. Now he'll hope to move up to a better level of consistency after the restricted free agent signed a one-year, $1.6 million US deal with the Vancouver Canucks on Monday.

O'Brien, 25, was second in the league last season with 196 penalty minutes, but the Canucks saw enough potential in the 6-foot-2, 225 pound blueliner to up his salary from $1.025 million. After being acquired from Tampa Bay on Oct. 6 along with Michel Ouellet, in a deal that sent Lukas Krajicek and Juraj Simek to the Lightning, the Port Hope, Ont., native struggled at times with his conditioning and a penchant to take bad penalties.

However, O'Brien improved as the season progressed and he finished with 10 assists in 77 regular-season games. The signing, coupled with the acquisition of free-agent goaltender Andrew Raycroft on Monday, gives the Canucks 20 players under contract for next season at $51.7 million. That leaves them with $5.1 million under the salary cap ceiling to sign a top-six forward and another defenceman.
    http://www.theprovince.com/Sports/Sh...698/story.html

i know it's already in the free agent frenzy thread, but it deserves it's own thread. SOB!
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    over paid a bit imo 1-1.2 to me
    Cause Day N Nite...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Colt.45~ View Post
    over paid a bit imo 1-1.2 to me
    agreed. the guy didnt even score a goal all last season, well he did but it was in our net. lol

but i guess he does fight a fair amount.

vCash
    He's a good young defensive defenseman. Plus he stops Bieksa from taking stupid penalties.

1.6 isn't bad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    He's a good young defensive defenseman. Plus he stops Bieksa from taking stupid penalties.
    Why? Because he takes them for him? lol.

vCash
    I love O'Brien, so I'm glad they got this done. Good to see that they remain faithful to these kids.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    SOB really did improve over the course of the season, so its pretty fair for us to reward him with an extention. I'll be happy with him until he scores on our own net again or comitts a million ******** penalties. Until then, welcome back SOB
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Why? Because he takes them for him? lol.
    Well Bieksa used to always try and stand up for the players. But O'Brien does it for him.

Bieksa had 134 PIM in 06/07(full season) then 90 in 07/08(30 games) but only 97 last year