Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Thumbs up Canucks sign goaltender Andrew Raycroft

Canucks sign goaltender Andrew Raycroft
    VANCOUVER SUN
    JULY 6, 2009 11:45 AM

VANCOUVER ó The Vancouver Canucks have signed free-agent goaltender Andrew Raycroft to a contract. Terms were not disclosed.

The 29-year-old Raycroft, who spent the 2008-09 NHL season with the Colorado Avalanche, won the Calder Trophy as the NHLís top rookie while with the Boston Bruins in 2003-04.

Raycroft posted a record of 12-16-0 with a 3.14 goals-against average and a .892 save percentage with the Avs. In 230 career NHL games, Raycroft, has a record of 94-96-16, with six shutouts and a 2.90 GAA and .899 save percentage.

In eight NHL seasons, Raycroft has played for three teams including the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Bruins, who originally selected him 135th overall in the 1998 NHL entry draft.

The 6-1, 185-pound Raycroft was born in Belleville, Ont.
    Vancouver Sun

vCash
    Good fit as a backup. At least for a year. Sort of a Kyle Wellwood situation. He might be getting scared that he can't stick in the NHL after a promising start to his career so he might give us 10-15 good relief starts. He definitely has the ability to be better than LaBarb. The question is whether he has the mental fortitude to be Luuu's backup. We saw how Gillis maximized Wellwood. Maybe he'll do the same for Raycroft.

vCash
    I agree, good solid backup, I have a bit more confidence in Raycroft than I did with Labarbera and Sanford. With this signing now, Schneider has once again become expendable? Gillis is just getting warmed up, more moves to be made I'm sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NUCK-U View Post
    I agree, good solid backup, I have a bit more confidence in Raycroft than I did with Labarbera and Sanford. With this signing now, Schneider has once again become expendable? Gillis is just getting warmed up, more moves to be made I'm sure.
    Next move, getting Luuu signed.

vCash
    Nice signing

vCash
    solid signing. As Nuck-U said, this allows schneider to be legit trade bait. And raycroft is a more than serviceable goalie. I like it.

Gillis = genius, again
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Looks like Gillis got a great deal - 1 yr. @ $500K.

vCash
    does anyone know what Labarbera signed for? i know he got 2 years, i just don't know the money amount.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    does anyone know what Labarbera signed for? i know he got 2 years, i just don't know the money amount.
    i think it was a million per.

Raycroft will probably be the same as having Labarbera as back up only i think Raycroft has potential to be a better goalie. maybe with no pressure to be a #1 here this guy can get his game back.

500k is a steal.

vCash
    I'm sorry thank god we have Luongo, no offense because Raycroft is trash. At the rate we paid him fine, but he's still trash. Get Luuuuuu resigned.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.