Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Breaking down the NL East

Phillies- As a Phillies fan, I know they need a starting pitcher at the trade deadline if they want ANY shot of winning the World Series again. They are getting back a few players off the DL soon which will keep our Championship dreams alive. Another bat coming off the bench would be nice, but that is not my main concern.

Mets- A team that has been burdened by injuries to star players, they cant seem to get it done on the field. The bats will come alive as Beltran, Reyes (who i cant stand), and others return. Putz will be a factor in their playoff dreams. As usual, the Mets will give the Phils a run for their money right to the bitter end.

Braves-A team with a bright future, they have great pitching but come up short in the bullpen. Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurrjens are soon to be all stars, along with sinker baller Derek Lowe. They might need a bit of an overhaul in the field, but could sneak up to the #2 spot in the East.

Marlins-Hot, then cold, now hot again. They are a very young team that in the future contend with the phils and mets. Im not completely sold on their team, yet I envy their starting pitching. I dont think they will be able to keep Hanley Ramirez. He is the best young hitter in baseball, and IMO will sign with the Red Sox after his contract is up. Especially with their fanbase. No offense but its pathetic.

Nationals- THis is a team that if fans stick with them, and dont let them become the pirates of the NL, will be contenders. They are obviously far off now but if strasburg does well and they draft Bryce Harper and still manage to keep their young starting pitchers and Ryan Zimmerman, they should be O.K

Prediction- Phillies will acquire a pitcher at the trade deadline, and will win the NL East. No one else in the East will make the playoffs. Mets will come close but the chemistry just isnt there. You can point out im being a bit biased becuase Im a phillies fan, thats fine. Feel free to comment- and dont be hard on me too much ahaha im just a kid.

vCash
    I think the Braves are going to win it, I maybe thinking this b/c I'm a Braves fan but I think the move of Prado to start at 2B and bat 2nd and moving Escobar to the 5th spot has sparked their offense. I also think the Braves are in the best shape to make a move. The Mets and Phillies both need to add pitching while the Braves need hitting. If the Braves add one hitter it will have a bigger impact than one starting pitcher or reliever. If the Braves get one more bat i think they should be the run away favorite.

vCash
    I think the Mets won't make any big move b/c they believe they will get healthy and then win but I just think the Mets lack a winning attitude. I think you are right that the Phillies will add a starter but I don't see any top notch starters out there. Adding one starting pitcher will give the Phillies two reliable starters while the Braves have four or five already and then have Hudson coming back. I think the Braves will also make a move for a RFer and that will put them over the edge.

vCash
    I respect your opinion, but I really dislike this whole "chemistry" argument people like to pull out when they talk about the Mets.

And it's easy to have a "winning attitude" when the team is winning, but when they aren't people like to say they lack "grit" and "heart". I always found that funny. It's not just in here, by the way. The media loves to throw around those words. When a team loses a few games they lack "heart, grit and fire", but when they battle back in a couple of games to win they're such a "gritty" team. It's so ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as players that don't show "leadership skills".

My take on the NL East is it is really weak right now. No team has run away with it and it's pretty much a 4 team race at the moment. It should make things pretty interesting.
    Last edited by ritz; 07-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    I think the Braves are going to win it, I maybe thinking this b/c I'm a Braves fan but I think the move of Prado to start at 2B and bat 2nd and moving Escobar to the 5th spot has sparked their offense. I also think the Braves are in the best shape to make a move. The Mets and Phillies both need to add pitching while the Braves need hitting. If the Braves add one hitter it will have a bigger impact than one starting pitcher or reliever. If the Braves get one more bat i think they should be the run away favorite.
    well if that logic makes sense then the mets will trade nothing for reyes, beltran, delgado, putz and maine, and perez, in the next month and a half. You think the braves will win it if they add one hitter, but the mets, who will definitely get 3 hitters, arent going to win it? They will also get a great reliever, and 2 good starters back. IMO its the mets or the phillies. Im not gonna pick a division winner but i think that the phillies will be kicking themselves in september when they realize that the mets could have been 10 games back or more in july, if only the phillies could win

vCash
    Phillies- As a Phillies fan, I know they need a starting pitcher at the trade deadline if they want ANY shot of winning the World Series again. They are getting back a few players off the DL soon which will keep our Championship dreams alive. Another bat coming off the bench would be nice, but that is not my main concern.
    I think the phillies are the best competition for the Marlins becuase they have the least amount of injures. If they pick up a pitcher I still dont think it will increase there chances significantly unless it is a true top pitcher.

Mets- A team that has been burdened by injuries to star players, they cant seem to get it done on the field. The bats will come alive as Beltran, Reyes (who i cant stand), and others return. Putz will be a factor in their playoff dreams. As usual, the Mets will give the Phils a run for their money right to the bitter end.
    I think there about done, injures are a huge part, but they just seem to not have chemistry, and what did they except with a player like Delgado? he is old...therefore he has a higher chance of getting hurt, and jerry manuel needs to be fired.

Braves-A team with a bright future, they have great pitching but come up short in the bullpen. Tommy Hanson, Jair Jurrjens are soon to be all stars, along with sinker baller Derek Lowe. They might need a bit of an overhaul in the field, but could sneak up to the #2 spot in the East.
    Very good team, and intimidating because there are rumors that they are still looking for another bat, to go along with there great staff. (which is young depends on Tommy Hanson)

Marlins-Hot, then cold, now hot again. They are a very young team that in the future contend with the phils and mets. Im not completely sold on their team, yet I envy their starting pitching. I dont think they will be able to keep Hanley Ramirez. He is the best young hitter in baseball, and IMO will sign with the Red Sox after his contract is up. Especially with their fanbase. No offense but its pathetic.
    Once again just more Marlin hate, the words i bolded, what do they have to do with anything about the marlins competing in the division? Your just knocking them for the fanbase. First i will talk fanbase...The marlins have had 3 or 4 rain delays in the past week? Would you want to buy tickets to a game when it has a 90% chance of rain?...surely not. Please wait until the new stadium comes so we can fill out our stadium because when there are 25,000 fans there as there were today it looks like 5,000 because Landshark holds 65,000..... Also I understand you guys want Hanley Ramirez to stop destroying your teams, but he is a Marlin for life. Now back to why the Marlins will be competing till the end...because they will make a move before the deadline just like they always do(Urbina in 03', An attempt for Manny last year but we didnt want to trade our future stud Michael Stanton.) We will be there till the end Phillies fans.

Nationals- THis is a team that if fans stick with them, and dont let them become the pirates of the NL, will be contenders. They are obviously far off now but if strasburg does well and they draft Bryce Harper and still manage to keep their young starting pitchers and Ryan Zimmerman, they should be O.K
    The Nationals are the Detroit Lions of Baseball.

Prediction- Marlins win division.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavell12 View Post
    I think the Mets won't make any big move b/c they believe they will get healthy and then win but I just think the Mets lack a winning attitude. I think you are right that the Phillies will add a starter but I don't see any top notch starters out there. Adding one starting pitcher will give the Phillies two reliable starters while the Braves have four or five already and then have Hudson coming back. I think the Braves will also make a move for a RFer and that will put them over the edge.
    IMO moyer, blanton, and happ, are more reliable than vazquez, hanson, and kawakami. Btw im a diehard mets fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Star View Post
    ...what did they except with a player like Delgado? he is old...therefore he has a higher chance of getting hurt, and jerry manuel needs to be fired.
    I'll give you the old part, but since his first full season he's averaged 148 games per season, played in 159 last year and his line was: .271/.353/.518/.871 with 38HRs and 115RBI. He did his job pretty well and I think the Mets made a pretty good decision picking up his club option. Just my .02
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    Haha phillies rotation more dependable than the braves, what consistently bad? Look the Phils are a great team but you can't even suggest their pitching comes close to matching the braves. That'd be like if i said i'd take the braves lineup over the phillies

vCash
    you also conveniently left out lowe and jurrjens

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    well if that logic makes sense then the mets will trade nothing for reyes, beltran, delgado, putz and maine, and perez, in the next month and a half. You think the braves will win it if they add one hitter, but the mets, who will definitely get 3 hitters, arent going to win it? They will also get a great reliever, and 2 good starters back. IMO its the mets or the phillies. Im not gonna pick a division winner but i think that the phillies will be kicking themselves in september when they realize that the mets could have been 10 games back or more in july, if only the phillies could win
    you can't just expect those guys to comeback and be great. Reyes in my opinion is in a downward spiral. Maine and Perez have never been that good to start with and having Perez back is probably a bad thing for the Mets. Delgado is aging and his injury seems to be the most serious. These aren't minor injuries so I wouldn't count on them being fully healthy soon.

vCash
    How is Reyes in a downward spiral?
    Props to MetsLegacy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kmo429 View Post
    IMO moyer, blanton, and happ, are more reliable than vazquez, hanson, and kawakami. Btw im a diehard mets fan
    your allowed to have that opinion that said it is an insane opinion. I wouldn't put any pitcher outside of Hammels over those three Braves you mentioned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ritz View Post
    How is Reyes in a downward spiral?
    I just think he hit his peake as a player. All i see him do is try to hit HRs and pop up and fly out.

vCash
    Really? At 26 years old I think he's far from his peak. I do agree that he was trying to hit HRs too much, but that doesn't mean he's done. Not to me, at least.
    Props to MetsLegacy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast