Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wellwood elects for Salary Arbitration

Wingers Nikolai Zherdev and Ryan Callahan of the New York Rangers were among 20 players who elected to take their teams to salary arbitration, the NHL Players' Association said Sunday.

The only other club to have two players go that route were the Phoenix Coyotes, who are set to have hearings with forwards Nigel Dawes and Daniel Winnik.

Joining them were defenceman James Wisniewski of the Anaheim Ducks; Thrashers winger Colby Armstrong; forward Matt Hunwick of the Boston Bruins; Buffalo left winger Clarke MacArthur; Carolina Hurricanes forward Tuomo Ruutu; defenceman Aaron Johnson of the Chicago Blackhawks; Columbus defenceman Marc Methot; Detroit winger Jiri Hudler; blue liner Denis Grebeshkov of the Edmonton Oilers; Minnesota center Kyle Brodziak; Montreal centre Tomas Plekanec; New Jersey Devils forward Travis Zajac; Islanders winger Nate Thompson; Lightning defenceman Matt Smaby; Canucks forward Kyle Wellwood; and Washington Capitals defenceman Milan Jurcina.

The deadline for teams to decide to take players to salary arbitration is Monday at 5pm et. Hearings will be held in Toronto from July 20 to August 4.
    TSN
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    I'm on the fence with Wellwood. He's a good player but only really good to us because we haven't developed our own talent yet. Kind of an in-between player to fill the gap until some of our draft picks mature. He isn't a top 6 forward, and we still need to pick one up. I hope he doesn't price himself out of a roster spot altogether with us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I'm on the fence with Wellwood. He's a good player but only really good to us because we haven't developed our own talent yet. Kind of an in-between player to fill the gap until some of our draft picks mature. He isn't a top 6 forward, and we still need to pick one up. I hope he doesn't price himself out of a roster spot altogether with us.
    i'm not too pleased with him doing this to Gillis and the Canucks. I honestly hope we don't sign him now. He is replaceable.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    i'm not too pleased with him doing this to Gillis and the Canucks. I honestly hope we don't sign him now. He is replaceable.
    If the Canucks decline the salary arbitration he's a UFA right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    If the Canucks decline the salary arbitration he's a UFA right?
    yep.. IMO, he's as good as gone.

<3

vCash
    IMO, Wellwood's career in hockey was all but over, he was over-weight, out of shape, and had no discipline. Not many clubs looking for players like that. But the Canucks stepped up and believed in him, took the time and guided him in the right direction, he began feeling better about himself and producing a few points, his play also improved and he was given many opportunities on the PP, etc. Other teams would've given up on Wellwood. And this is how he shows his appreciation to the club?

vCash
    ^ 100% agree. I realize he wants to be compensated for his ability, but he benefitted big time from their program and their belief in him. A real shame that he and his agent couldn't find some middle ground with Gillis.