Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: MJ and Pippen or Kobe and Shaq?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • MJ and Pippen

19 55.88%
  • Kobe and Shaq

15 44.12%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Prime MJ and Pippen or Prime Kobe and Shaq?

Who would you rather build around, a prime MJ and Pippen or a prime Kobe and Shaq. Now, don't immediately just go bananas over MJ's name being mentioned. Yes, he is probably the greatest basketball player to ever play the game, but Kobe has built his own legacy as well. And Shaq is one of the most dominant big men in NBA history. Although Scottie Pippen was great as well and has always been very underrated due to the fact he had to play "side-kick" to Jordan.

So, who you got?
    YOU TRIED HARD MIAMI

vCash
    Gimme Kobe & Shaq... Shaq was a beast and the way Kobe's playing right now, shooot.. I'll take 'em

vCash
    Assuming they both put their egos aside? I'll take Kobe and Shaq all day and then some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VCaintdead17 View Post
    Who would you rather build around, a prime MJ and Pippen or a prime Kobe and Shaq. Now, don't immediately just go bananas over MJ's name being mentioned. Yes, he is probably the greatest basketball player to ever play the game, but Kobe has built his own legacy as well. And Shaq is one of the most dominant big men in NBA history. Although Scottie Pippen was great as well and has always been very underrated due to the fact he had to play "side-kick" to Jordan.

So, who you got?
    If we are talking actual prime and peak than Shaq and Kobe would be the way to go. The only problem is they never played at their peak together. They had problems even when both weren't at their peak, so I'm not sure how well they function at there peaks.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    If we are talking actual prime and peak than Shaq and Kobe would be the way to go. The only problem is they never played at their peak together. They had problems even when both weren't at their peak, so I'm not sure how well they function at there peaks.
    /thread

vCash
    MJ and Pippen played in the 90s...an era of many great big men. Some of the best big men in league history played in the NBA during that time and I'm sure there were several pretty good SG/big men combo during the 90s. If none of those great big men could unseat Jordan/Pippen...what makes Kobe and Shaq so special?

before anyone rant on how great Kobe and Shaq is...they're great but they're not THAT great.

Shaq is not the best center in league history...one of the best but not the best. he had the luxury of hitting his prime during a time when there was no other good centers in the league to challenge him. During his earlier years, Hakeem routinely school him. During his later years, he couldn't dominate Yao.

Kobe? Kobe's great too but he's not on MJ's level...not anywhere close. MJ is considert the GOAT because he wasn't the UNDISPUTED best player in the league during the 90s. Some of the best players (i.e. Stockton, Malone, Hakeem) in league history couldn't challenge his status as the undisputed best player in the league...his status as the best is STILL undisputed right now. As for Kobe...yea he's good but he was never the undisputed best player in the league. In his early years...he had to compete with Tmac. In his later years...he has to compete with Wade and Lebron.

So yeea...Jordan/Pippen all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post
    1. Thunder
    2. Warriors
    3. Clippers
    4. Blazers
    5. Grizzlies
    Quote Originally Posted by lol, please View Post

I already have that scrizzguap on the Dubs winning a 'ship.
    Sincerely,
    delusional Warriors fan

Quote Originally Posted by COOLbeans View Post
    What do you do for a living because I guarantee it's not in academics or psychology?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k08E24MVP View Post
    Gimme Kobe & Shaq... Shaq was a beast and the way Kobe's playing right now, shooot.. I'll take 'em
    110% agreed
    this guy knows his stuff!
    but yeah kobe & shaq!
    they played better people like LJ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FOBolous View Post
    MJ and Pippen played in the 90s...an era of many great big men. Some of the best big men in league history played in the NBA during that time and I'm sure there were several pretty good SG/big men combo during the 90s. If none of those great big men could unseat Jordan/Pippen...what makes Kobe and Shaq so special?

before anyone rant on how great Kobe and Shaq is...they're great but they're not THAT great.

Shaq is not the best center in league history...one of the best but not the best. he had the luxury of hitting his prime during a time when there was no other good centers in the league to challenge him. During his earlier years, Hakeem routinely school him. During his later years, he couldn't dominate Yao.

Kobe? Kobe's great too but he's not on MJ's level...not anywhere close. MJ is considert the GOAT because he wasn't the UNDISPUTED best player in the league during the 90s. Some of the best players (i.e. Stockton, Malone, Hakeem) in league history couldn't challenge his status as the undisputed best player in the league...his status as the best is STILL undisputed right now. As for Kobe...yea he's good but he was never the undisputed best player in the league. In his early years...he had to compete with Tmac. In his later years...he has to compete with Wade and Lebron.

So yeea...Jordan/Pippen all the way.
    Using that argument against Shaq, you have to go both ways. Jordan didn't play with the best competition in the 90's amongst wing players. Kobe had to deal with Mcgrady (in his prime), Wade, Lebron, Carter, Pierce, etc. Who did Jordan have to go up against? Drexler? He was the closest one to Jordan. So Kobe faced much stiffer competition regarding the 2-guard spot and still came out with four rings to his credit.

I'm not dismissing the fact that Jordan is the GOAT. We all know that he is. But for Kobe to dominate the league for so long with the stiffer competition he faced is quite an accomplishment.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dre1990 View Post
    6 rings > 3 rings

I see we were in a coma two wks ago????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ko8e24 View Post
    I see we were in a coma two wks ago????
    When two weeks ago did Kobe and Shaq win a ring?

vCash
    I hate questions like this because obviously you would go with the pair that won 6 rings, but there are so many factors, if Kobe & Shaq were still on the same team, different eras, who are the role players, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by i.got.the.nutz View Post
    Using that argument against Shaq, you have to go both ways. Jordan didn't play with the best competition in the 90's amongst wing players. Kobe had to deal with Mcgrady (in his prime), Wade, Lebron, Carter, Pierce, etc. Who did Jordan have to go up against? Drexler? He was the closest one to Jordan. So Kobe faced much stiffer competition regarding the 2-guard spot and still came out with four rings to his credit.

I'm not dismissing the fact that Jordan is the GOAT. We all know that he is. But for Kobe to dominate the league for so long with the stiffer competition he faced is quite an accomplishment.
    One problem with using that argument and that's the fact that Jordan had to attack far tougher defenses than Kobe. I'm sure Jordan would much rather play against a tough perimeter player than a big man who is guarding the lane from Jordan. Perimeter defense is far weaker than post defense. So truth be told, Jordan had is much tougher going against big man than other great wing players.
    Truth be told I hate Shaq's game. If he played like he used in today's game, most of his moves would be charges as they should be. Shaq simply dominated cause he was a giant among men. Unlike Duncan or Kareem who used skill and ability to be great, Shaq simply walked over them. Sure people may argue he used his advantage that way, I simply never was impressed with the way he played. Doesn't take any special ability, simply being gifted by being very strong and big. It's like watching a HS player vs junior high kids. Maybe it's just me though...

vCash
    Kobe and Shaq no doubt..... Kobe and Shaq are both unquestioned top 10... MJ may be number one (or at least top 3 depending on who your asking) and Pip is a top 50 player...probably somewhere in the 40s... There is a gap between Kobe and MJ albeit smaller than alot of people think... the gap between shaq and pip is absolutely huge

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LakeShow11 View Post
    Kobe and Shaq no doubt..... Kobe and Shaq are both unquestioned top 10... MJ may be number one (or at least top 3 depending on who your asking) and Pip is a top 50 player...probably somewhere in the 40s... There is a gap between Kobe and MJ albeit smaller than alot of people think... the gap between shaq and pip is absolutely huge
    Biased much?
    I can easily name 10 players who can be considered better than kobe, and Pippen is definitely AT LEAST in the 30s.
    And here's the 10 I think that are better all time than kobe- magic, mj, russell, wilt, kareem, shaq, duncan, hakeem, oscar, bird, and west. That's 11 right there actually.
    And kobe certainly wasn't nearly as good as he was today when he played with Shaq.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast