Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Nyjer Morgan = Adam Dunn

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/morgan-dunn

When the Nationals signed Adam Dunn over the winter to a 2 year, $20 million contract, the reaction from the sabermetric community was almost unanimously positive towards the move for Washington. For a fraction of his original asking price, they got the guy who had become something of a poster boy for the kind of player that statistical analysts have been claiming is undervalued for years. The walks and power skillset produces a lot of runs, and Dunn has a masterís degree in the walks and power skillset.

When the Nationals acquired Nyjer Morgan yesterday, the reaction from the sabermetric community was almost unanimously negative towards the move for Washington. He was routinely called a no-power fourth outfielder, easily replaceable, and a 29-year-old with no upside. The Nationals were destroyed for giving up on a ďtalentĒ like Lastings Milledge to acquire Morgan. Analysts I have quite a bit of respect for, like Keith Law, Dan Szymborski, and our own R.J. Anderson, hailed this as an easy win for the Pirates, as none of them see much value in Morgan.

Hereís the problem. Nyjer Morgan and Adam Dunn are nearly equals in value, and the polar reactions from the sabermetric crowd puts the blindspots that have been developed over the last 10-15 years on full display.

Letís just break down the differences by role.

Hitting: Dunn has a massive advantage here, obviously. ZIPS projects a .394 wOBA going forward, which would allow him to finish the season as 37 runs better than a league average hitter. Thatís really good. ZIPS projects Morgan for a .307 wOBA, which would lead him to finish the season as eight runs below average with the bat. Dunn is 40 to 45 runs better with the bat than Morgan is. Itís a big difference.

Baserunning: Despite comparing a beefy slugger to one of the fastest guys in baseball, the gap here is actually fairly small. By Dan Foxís EQBRR, Dunn averages about -2 runs per year on the basepaths, while Morgan has totaled +2 runs in his one seasonís worth of playing time. For all his speed, he hasnít figured out how to steal bases effectively yet, so he hasnít been able to maximize the value of his feet. Thereís still a difference here, though, of about 4 runs per season in Morganís favor.

Defense: On Dunn, there really isnít much of an argument. Heís legitimately the worst defensive player in baseball that is still allowed to wear a glove regularly. Since 2005, his UZR totals have been -18.8, -14.9, -18.8, -28.0, and -14.1 (in half a season!). That spans three teams and four ballparks, so itís not like the context is causing Dunn to look bad in the field. Morgan, on the other hand, runs like he stole something, and covers all kinds of ground in the prcoess. His +15.4 UZR in LF/RF and +11.9 UZR in CF in partial seasons of playing time are amazingly awesome.

We have to use a fairly heavy regression for Morganís defensive projection, however, given that we only have one seasonís worth of data. Giving 1/3 weighting to his current numbers and 2/3 weighting to a regression back to league average, we end up with Morgan as a +10 defender in CF. This is probably too strong a regression, but Iím trying to err on the side of caution with defensive data.

If Dunn is a -20 LF, and Morgan is a +10 CF, then the defensive difference between the two is 30 runs plus a five run positional adjustment, for a total of 35 runs. And honestly, Iím being kind to Dunn and harsh to Morgan - the reality could easily be -25 for Dunn and +15 for Morgan. But, weíll go conservative for now.

Hitting: Dunn, +45
    Baserunning, Morgan, +4
    Defense, Morgan, +35

Total: Dunn, +6

The gap between Dunn and Morgan, going forward, is expected to be about half a win per season if you use conservative estimates of their respective defensive value.

Iím sorry, but thereís no way that the response from the sabermetric community around these two moves matches that reality. If paying Adam Dunn $10 million per season to be a +2.5 win player is a good idea, then paying Nyjer Morgan $400,000 to be a +2 win player is a great idea. There is no world in which Dunnís production and salary is more valuable than Morganís production and salary. You could acquire 100 Lastings Milledgeís for the amount of money that Dunn is getting to be the big, power hitting equal of Morgan.

Thereís just no way around the real conclusion - the sabermetric community, for the most part, has a blindspot when it comes to players with defensive skills at the extremes of the spectrum. Given the cost differences, Morgan is clearly a more valuable asset than Dunn, yet his acquisition is mocked while Dunnís is celebrated.

Baseball is not just about who can hit the ball further. Itís time we stopped evaluating players on their offensive worth alone.
    I think thats a damn good article on why being a one trick pony doesnt mean you are really that good of a player.

Dunn can hit the ball real far and take walks like nobodies business, but the fact that he cant field a position makes him worth much much less than what people percieve him to be worth.

Do you guy agree with this assessment or not?
    Free Doug

vCash
    Completely. Dunn's prowess at the plate is surpassed only by his complete and utter shittiness in the field. He is unbelievably, unconscionably awful. How the hell can you cost your team 2-3 wins a season defensively at first base? It boggles the mind.

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    Very good article, thanks for posting it.

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

vCash
    If Morgan's defense is as good as Dunn's offense, then it could be worth it.

vCash
    Of course I agree.

vCash
    Hehe, and you know the reactions of the majority of fans would be "that's complete ********."

vCash
    I obviously agree as well, but put Dunn in the AL and it won't matter anymore.

Why he didn't get any big offers from an AL team is beyond me.

vCash
    I never liked Dunn as a player. He really isnt that good...just powerful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    I obviously agree as well, but put Dunn in the AL and it won't matter anymore.

Why he didn't get any big offers from an AL team is beyond me.
    Yeah...you put Dunn at DH and he's automatically worth two more wins.

vCash
    Dunn is better than morgan, it is a fact

Chicago Bears: 0-0
    Chicago Bulls: 0-0
    Chicago White Sox: 64-67

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolution=FACT View Post
    Dunn is better than morgan, it is a fact
    Well I agree, but did you even read the article?

vCash
    Yeah, it's a great article. It's also something so super simple to neutralize that I can't believe some AL team didn't try to do.

vCash

vCash
    When I saw that this deal was being talked about, I started laughing at the Pirates ineptitude. Morgan is easily one of the 5 best defensive outfielders in baseball and making league minimum. He also has potential to become a very good stolen base threat with his speed, Milledge is a bust and I don't see him turning it around. Having Morgan in center negates some of Dunn's lack of range in left thereby improving his worth to the club. Very good move by Washington. An OF of Tabata, Morgan, and McCutcheon would have been the best defensive OF in the majors i believe if the pirates kept it intact and all three can get on base at a good clip, once again poor move by Pittsburgh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfan22193 View Post
    When I saw that this deal was being talked about, I started laughing at the Pirates ineptitude. Morgan is easily one of the 5 best defensive outfielders in baseball and making league minimum. He also has potential to become a very good stolen base threat with his speed, Milledge is a bust and I don't see him turning it around. Having Morgan in center negates some of Dunn's lack of range in left thereby improving his worth to the club. Very good move by Washington. An OF of Tabata, Morgan, and McCutcheon would have been the best defensive OF in the majors i believe if the pirates kept it intact and all three can get on base at a good clip, once again poor move by Pittsburgh
    Morgan is 29 years old and is in his prime. His best asset is his speed, and that'll diminish within a few years, leaving him to be a backup outfielder. Milledge is only 24 and still has a chance at turning his career around- his upside dwarfs that of Morgan.

Not a poor move at all.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast