Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    He makes 6.750 now and brings in a lot of revenue, which to us doesn't matter, but to the front office does.

Also if ticket and merchandise sales go up next year the salary cap will also, which will make the deal look better also.

vCash
    I agree that $8M a season for one player is absurd, but then again, I feel that every NHL player's salary is absurd. No one should be making more than $1M per season in addition to performance bonuses - but that's just my opinion. For Luongo, give the man what he wants, he's one of the best in the world and our Captain. I'd like Luongo to finish his career as a Canuck, so I hope they lock him in long-term. Being extremely over-paid is Sundin signing for $10M prorated last year. That was crazy.

vCash
    $8 Million is a lot, even for Luongo. I would think that the Canucks would want to frontload a long term contract with Luongo to get their cap hit down and keep him as their mainstay between the pipes.

Quick question here...is everyone here happy with Luongo as your "captain"? I might be a little old school with the captain issue and I realize that he can be a leader in the locker room and even on the ice in some spots, but I just really would hate having a captain between the pipes. I feel you need a forward/defenseman who will hold himself accountable and everyone on the bench accountable. It isn't like Luongo can talk it over and let people know what they need to do on the bench while he waits for his next shift. Just wanted to get the thought from Canucks fans as I am still not keen on the idea at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    $8 Million is a lot, even for Luongo. I would think that the Canucks would want to frontload a long term contract with Luongo to get their cap hit down and keep him as their mainstay between the pipes.

Quick question here...is everyone here happy with Luongo as your "captain"? I might be a little old school with the captain issue and I realize that he can be a leader in the locker room and even on the ice in some spots, but I just really would hate having a captain between the pipes. I feel you need a forward/defenseman who will hold himself accountable and everyone on the bench accountable. It isn't like Luongo can talk it over and let people know what they need to do on the bench while he waits for his next shift. Just wanted to get the thought from Canucks fans as I am still not keen on the idea at all.
    For the moment he's the captain to me. Kesler will take it in a year or so. I see him as the long term solution. Kesler is right there and is going to be a dynamic player now that Sundin is probably gone on. Kesler stays in the top 6 forwards and has no competition.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    That's a tough one, I'm not sure what the reasoning behnd making Luongo Captain was: publicity? a way of convincing Bobby Luu to stay in Vancouver? I find it hard to believe it was based on his leadership alone. But apparently, Gillis and his staff rated the players in several areas, like work ethic and leadership, etc - and Luongo came out on top. I don't necessarily agree with a goalie being Captain though. You'd think you'd want your Captain to be in on faceoffs, or on the bench encouraging the boys to step it up or whatever, and have easy access to the refs covering the entire ice surface. Luongo's stuck between the pipes, talking to himself. But I guess that's what Mitchell and Kesler are for.

vCash
    Luongo IS the Canucks right now. Say what you want but without him we suck, and on top of that he is apparently very dedicated and a great locker room guy. I think he deserves to be captain

vCash
    But we have Raycroft (hehe - just kidding) Luongo is the man, and if the Canucks have any chance of winning the Cup, Luongo will be the goalie. How cool would that be to see them win the Cup and have captain Luongo be the first to hoist the holy grail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    For the moment he's the captain to me. Kesler will take it in a year or so. I see him as the long term solution. Kesler is right there and is going to be a dynamic player now that Sundin is probably gone on. Kesler stays in the top 6 forwards and has no competition.
    i agree. I really don't mind Luongo as the current captain but I think Kesler ultimately will get the C.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    i agree. I really don't mind Luongo as the current captain but I think Kesler ultimately will get the C.
    I don't know about that, of course he deserves it, but what, they strip Luongo of his "C" and give it to Kesler?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    I don't know about that, of course he deserves it, but what, they strip Luongo of his "C" and give it to Kesler?
    yeah, that probably won't happen. I guess the new contract will have have a clause aoubt Luongo having the 'C' while he remains a Canuck. But, kesler will get it one day.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Bobby Lou is our Captain and I love it. He is the face of our franchise and city. Cmon Lou, bring us to the promise land!
    Greatness is a Virtue

vCash
    Hurry up and sign the god damn contract extension!!!!!!!!!!!

it's so boring waiting for something to happen.

#3in5

<3

vCash
    Remember way back when, over a month ago, they were saying Luongo should be signing his new contract within the week? Ahhh, those were good times. Now, here we are a month from pre-season and still no Luongo signing. They keep saying their very close, so what's the hold-up? I realize there are more terms to a contract besides the term and salary, but come on. Get 'er done Gillis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12