Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Luongo wants 8 mil per year!!!

Despite being one year away from unrestricted free agency, reports are saying that goalie Roberto Luongo is discussing a contract extension with the Vancouver Canucks.

CKNW Radio in Vancouver is speculating that Luongo and his agent, Gilles Lupien, are asking for a long-term deal that would be at least five years in length, and worth a minimum of $8 million per season.

Luongo is scheduled to earn $7.5 million next season, with the Canucks taking a cap hit of $6.75 million in the final year of his current deal.

The report says that Luongo wishes to be among the highest paid goalies in the league, but he also does not want to handicap Vancouver's payroll and might be willing to take less money to make the team more competitive.

"The way Roberto wants to go, he doesn't want to hit the jackpot, he wants to have a good team," Lupien told CKNW. "And by doing that, you have to work with the team. We're looking for a bit more money, but nothing that would strangle the team. I think we're going forward to have a deal done in the future."

CKNW also speculates that with Luongo in talks to stay with the Canucks long-term, back-up goalie Cory Schneider may get moved this weekend at the NHL Entry Draft in Montreal. Schneider was the Canucks first round draft pick, 26th overall, in the 2004 Draft.
    TSN

ok, this is a reliable source...
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Luongo's worth it, I say sign him for $8 million a year. I also find the Schneider rumour intriguing. Any speculation what we might get in return?

vCash
    a lot. I'm not totally sure, but a prospect like him will definitely get us some good value in return.

I think there was a rumor about trading him for the rights of bouwmeester, but i can't remmeber if that was another bogus eklund report or an actual realistic report.
    2014 Indianapolis Colts: Let's Hunt

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    If the salary cap is going down then the average contract will go down also.

The highest paid goalie in the league right now is 27 year old Henrik Lundqvist who is making 6.875. Luongo is making 6.750. So it Luongo worth that much more then the highest paid goalie? Marty only makes 5.2 is Luongo worth 2.8 million more then Marty?

I mean he's already the second highest paid goalie in the league.

vCash
    i say we do it luongo's a reliable goalie for 5 years hopefully its a declining contract like 8 mill first year 7.5 next or something, we could get good vaule for schineder who hasn't proved himself in the nhl but we need some more cap space
    Cause Day N Nite...

vCash
    well i guess it needs to happen now since he's announcing your picks...
    he's worth it anyways. Remember how much you gave Mats?