Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Canucks Select Jordan Schroeder 22nd overall

Jordan Schroeder
    Ht/Wt: 5.08/168 lbs
    Position: RW
    Drafted From: USA U-18 NTDP

A product of the USNTDP, Jordan Schroeder has excelled in his first year with the Minnesota Golden Gophers. He consistently was one of the team's scoring leaders, playing on a line with recent Avalanche signee Ryan Stoa and Jay Barriball. He finished second in scoring on the team with 45 points through 35 games, while Stoa lead the team with 46 points. More of a playmaker than a goal scorer, Schroeder danced around NCAA defenders all season, leading the Gophers with 32 assists along with his 13 goals. A true freshman, Schroeder has been twice selected to the US U20 World Junior team, leading the team this past year in Ottawa with 8 assists and 11 points through 6 games.

Some have been critical of Schroeder because of his size, but he would be a useful asset to any team in terms of his skill alone. Schroeder is a wizard with the puck, consistently findings ways to penetrate defenses with his deft stickhandling or speed. Schroeder does need to bulk up some to play professionally, but his skill level is already near-NHL caliber. Don't be surprised to see Schroeder as a first or second-line center in the near future.
    Submitted by: John Vaughan

Jordan Schroeder has excelled with the Minnesota Golden Gophers as a star center. He possesses the skills do distribute the puck effectively every night. Jordan has a rare play-making ability similar to that of Daniel Briere. His passing is excellent but needs to shoot more often. He lacks NHL size, but makes up for it with deft skating and streamlined stick-handling. Look for Schroeder’s name to be called early in the first round this year in Montreal. He will likely be a top-flight talent in the NHL for years to come.
    Submitted by: Zach Ranallo

Code:
                                                   GP       G       A       P
    2006-07  	U.S. National Under-18    	31  	12  	11  	23  	 	 	 	 	 	
    2008-09 	U. of Minnesota 	NCAA 	35 	13 	32 	45

vCash
    Great pick!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Great pick!
    I like it too.

What they're saying: (click the link for more info)

NHL.com:

Represented Team USA for the second time at the 2009 World Junior Championships leading the team in scoring with 11 points and tied for second in the tournament with eight assists in six games -- he scored points in each of the six games and became Team USA's all-time World Junior assists leader with 15, surpassing the record of 14 previously held by NY Islanders forward Doug Weight.

Hockey's Future:

At 5'9/180, Schroeder isnt' the biggest freshman in stature, but he may be the most complete. Schroeder is a highly intelligent player that thinks and understands the game exceedingly well. He possesses excellent vision, awareness, and knows where plays will end up. He is instinctive and creative. Schroeder has the ability to make players around him better and his infectious enthusiasm and passion for the game is difficult to miss.

While some may feel that Schroeder's lack of size could hinder his chances of being a top ten selection at the upcoming NHL Entry Draft, he has proven time and again that he is more than capable of competing against bigger and stronger players. Schroeder is remarkably strong on his skates and while he is still growing into his body, the strength that he now has he uses to great advantage. This can be seen in areas such as protecting the puck and his play along the boards. Schroeder has also demonstrated that he can handle the physically punishing aspects of the game as well.

My NHL Draft:

A product of the USNTDP, Jordan Schroeder has excelled in his first year with the Minnesota Golden Gophers. He consistently was one of the team's scoring leaders, playing on a line with recent Avalanche signee Ryan Stoa and Jay Barriball. He finished second in scoring on the team with 45 points through 35 games, while Stoa lead the team with 46 points. More of a playmaker than a goal scorer, Schroeder danced around NCAA defenders all season, leading the Gophers with 32 assists along with his 13 goals. A true freshman, Schroeder has been twice selected to the US U20 World Junior team, leading the team this past year in Ottawa with 8 assists and 11 points through 6 games.
    Check out his profile video on this site

vCash
    I can't believe the hysteria in here about the pick!! lol.

You guys are going nuts.

-----

Seriously I think we are so ****ing lucky that this guy dropped so far in the draft. Gillis says they would have picked him with a top 10 pick and they were shocked that he was around at 22.

vCash
    I saw him at 12 on some mock drafts, most had him going to the Wild at 16 if he lasted until then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    I saw him at 12 on some mock drafts, most had him going to the Wild at 16 if he lasted until then.
    didn't the Wild swap 16 with the Islanders? That may be why he fell off the radar until 22.

vCash
    ^^ The Wild took undersized Mr. Hockey Nicholas Leddy a puck moving defensemen from Minnesota. This was a great draft. It's a good day when you look ahead and make a contingency again if the Sedins go. He might be a few years away but he's got a nice wrister. I love his skating as well. Good fit. Hodgson and Schroeder back to back years is DYNO MITE!

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    The comparisons come naturally. Given his size and quickness and smarts, Schroeder often is likened to Tampa star Martin St. Louis, as well as Patrick Kane, who just completed his rookie season with Chicago.

"The way the game's going, those names, there's a lot out there now, like Patrick Kane. I definitely look up to those guys and they're definitely a good influence," he said.

As far as making an immediate splash, like Kane did with the Blackhawks, Schroeder is unlikely to do so.

It's expected he'll head back to the University of Minnesota in the fall.

"I'm not thinking too much about (making the NHL next season) ... hopefully my name gets called in the first round, and it'd be an honour to go in the first round, we'll see what happens. But at this point, I'm most likely going back to Minnesota."

JORDAN SCHROEDER

Born: Sept. 29, 1990, Burnsville, Minn.

Height: 5-8.

Weight: 175 pounds.

2008-09 stats: 35 GP, 13 G, 32 A, 45 Pts.

CS's take: "He's a dynamic player, a leader and a type of player that has developed into a complete offensive and defensive threat every time he is on the ice. He has a rocket of a wrist shot and he can beat you by putting the puck in the net, going around a defender, or freezing the goaltender and passing it off to one of his wingers. The concern is going to be his overall size, like there was with Scott Gomez, with Brian Gionta and with Patrick Kane, but at the same age he is probably a little thicker and a little bit more compact than they were. He's a great hockey player."
    Vancouver Sun

vCash
    sounds like the canucks got a steal.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Good job Gillis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulliwali View Post
    Good job Gillis
    Welcome to the forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    thx..hope it will be a good time here

vCash
    yes, welcome. Post often

also, be sure to check this out: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums...d.php?t=135966
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    About the draft ... the only reservation I have is that a lot of these guys are small. I'll go along with it and hope that we can compete with an army of Kariya-size players. lol.

Seriously, if the NHL has changed enough that we don't need Eric Lindros-sized players anymore I'm great with that. I just hope it works out.

Otherwise, I really like the talent Gillis picked up. Especially Schroeder.