Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think baseball people have way too much time on their hands with all these statistics that are meaningless. At the end of the day, wins and losses are the only stats that mean much of anything!
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I think baseball people have way too much time on their hands with all these statistics that are meaningless. At the end of the day, wins and losses are the only stats that mean much of anything!
    Yes, wins and losses are what matter, but the best way to find the highest probability of these wins are through these stats.

vCash
    I think you have too much time on your hands if you managed to come up with such a stupid post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLER71 View Post
    I'm an epic n00b, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

How do you know if a pitcher is "lucky"?
    If their BABIP is significantly lower than their norm then they are lucky because balls are being hit towards fielders at an unusual rate. Over the long run their BABIP will rise to its normal rate which will lead to the pitcher performing to his true abilities. A good example of a pitcher who was "lucky" was Justin Duchscherer last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    I think you have too much time on your hands if you managed to come up with such a stupid post.
    How is it stupid? Do you think it is stupid because I am 100% truthful? Ask the Phillies if they cared about all these Sabermetrics stats when they were winning the World Series last year?

Ask the Washington Nationals if they cared about all these Sabermetrics stats when they finished with the worst record in baseball?

Do they figure in Sabermetrics in determining who wins the World Series?

No. It is done by who wins 4 games first in a 7 game World Series.
    PSD's Muhammad Wilkerson!!!

vCash
    How is it stupid? Do you think it is stupid because I am 100% truthful? Ask the Phillies if they cared about all these Sabermetrics stats when they were winning the World Series last year?

Ask the Washington Nationals if they cared about all these Sabermetrics stats when they finished with the worst record in baseball?

You seem to be missing the point, of course in the end all that matters are the wins, but Sabermetrics are used to help determine the best way to win the most games in the future.

vCash
    I want to bang my head against a wall.

But if you really believe that, then fine. Just know that type of "logic" also means that ANY type of player evaluation method, such as good ol' scouting, is useless. It doesn't matter, right? All that mattes is winning f'ing 4 out of 7! Hell, let's throw out a team of chimps out there, maybe they can 4 out of 7!

Did the Phillies give a **** about their director of scouting when they won the WS? Hell no. **** him.

Honestly, I want to be banned for having to read that.
    Last edited by Seamhead; 07-07-2009 at 04:49 PM.

vCash

When evaluating a player, you look at stats.

vCash
    Sure at the end of the day the only thing that matters is winning and losing.

And in order to win those games you want to score the most amount of runs, and give up the least.

And a good way to do that is to put out the best lineup and the best team to fit those needs.

And the best way to do that is using Sabermetrics.

So yes the only thing that matters is wins and losses, and the best way to achieve that is using sabermetrics and stats.

The Phillies had the third best wOBA in the NL last year, the best UZR in the NL. Yeah they dont care about the stats, they just care that those stats showed that they deserved to be where they were.
    Free Doug

vCash

To go along with Poodski's post, do you know how they figure out what players to put on the team to win the world series? They don't use Tarot cards, and they don't draw names from a hat, they use a scouting, financial analysis, and statistical analysis, and Sabermetrics is the name used to refer to the statistical analysis of baseball.

vCash
    I like that. Teams use tarot cards to field a lineup.

vCash

Something tells me you don't know much about Baseball.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    Question:

You know how the general offensive stat listed around here for offense is OPS? How come the main stat to evaluate a pitcher isn't "OPS against" or something like that. It seems like looking at their opposing OPS would be a lot better than ERA or WHIP or K:BB.Thoughts?
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

vCash
    I'm no expert, but my guess would be that it's because a pitcher doesn't have all that much control over whether a given hit is a single, double or triple.

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about that since I'm only sort of guessing here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_rock923 View Post
    I'm no expert, but my guess would be that it's because a pitcher doesn't have all that much control over whether a given hit is a single, double or triple.

Someone please tell me if I'm wrong about that since I'm only sort of guessing here.
    But using that logic then wouldn't that mean that OPS isn't a good stat for batter's either? If it's good enough to evaluate batter it seems like it should be good enough to evaluate a pitcher. The same thing goes for if you bring up BABIP wouldn't it? If a pitcher doesn't have much control over it then it must mean a batter doesn't have much control over it either.
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast