Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver2491 View Post
    How many times does someone have to explain this concept for you to comprehend this? BB data is based off events of actual baseball games in real life....it isn't some made up statistic that just pulls numbers out of mid air.
    I didnt say it was....

i used to think that but not anymore
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C1Bman88 View Post
    For all the times we've tried to explain DIPS to him, he can't seem to wrap his head around it. It's one thing to dislike DIPS, but it's another thing entirely to dismiss it simply because one can't understand it.
    how am i dismissing it?

Im saying I don't think it is too great of a stat to use within specific seasons. As in Ill tak a lucky beckett for the season if is ERA is going to be 3 and Lester's is going to be 5. Lucky or not I rather have the 3.00 ERA. I think it is great when you are trading for pitchers, and see where the pitcher's production level should be out, and you can see if the pitcher should regress or improve. And I also think it is great for signing pitchers for the reason I just posted.

And Yes I completely understand it, its not hard to understand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    how am i dismissing it?

Im saying I don't think it is too great of a stat to use within specific seasons. As in Ill tak a lucky beckett for the season if is ERA is going to be 3 and Lester's is going to be 5. Lucky or not I rather have the 3.00 ERA. I think it is great when you are trading for pitchers, and see where the pitcher's production level should be out, and you can see if the pitcher should regress or improve. And I also think it is great for signing pitchers for the reason I just posted.

And Yes I completely understand it, its not hard to understand.
    OK, but the point is that Lester has pitched better, not that he's had better results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    OK, but the point is that Lester has pitched better, not that he's had better results.
    Which would meaning going forward he's more likely to have equal or better success than Beckett.

vCash
    Assuming they both pitch the same, yes. Using the regressed form of tRA is probably better for that.

vCash
    Alright it seems that Ks have a lot of influence on tRA. When looking at beckett his k/9 innings is right in line with his career average. While Lester's is way higher than it has ever been. Would it be unreasonable to assume that Lester's k rates will come back down to earth some, meaning that his tRA will also decrease?

vCash
    It would be reasonable to assume his tRA would go down if his K's decreased. But it's not reasonable to assume that Lester's K rate will go down. He's young and it's not out of reason for him to improve.

vCash
    yeah he should improve but that drastically? obviously i like the guy but from 6.5 ks/9 to 10.3 Ks/9 is a big swing upward.

vCash
    Well it's too early to assume anything.

vCash
    I read an article or articles on Umpires a while ago. It had ratings and talked about their efficiency to call strikes that were strikes and balls that were balls etc... I cant find it now. Does anyone have any idea of what im talking about.

Sig Provided by LeoGetz25

vCash
    Simple question: Why the hell I had not heard about this forum being created?????

I have homework to do and a lot of stuff to learn. God I love Baseball.

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Alright it seems that Ks have a lot of influence on tRA. When looking at beckett his k/9 innings is right in line with his career average. While Lester's is way higher than it has ever been. Would it be unreasonable to assume that Lester's k rates will come back down to earth some, meaning that his tRA will also decrease?
    No, because unlike stats like ERA, K's have nothing to do with luck. K's are a direct result of the kid of stuff/control you have, meaning Lester probably made some kind of adjustment allowing him to strike out more hitters.

vCash
    Based on sabermetrics, who is better:
    Mark Teixiera or Kevin Youkilis
    ARod or David Wright

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    I would take A-Rod and Tex over Youk and Wright.

Its pretty close though.

vCash
    I'm an epic n00b, so sorry if this is a stupid question.

How do you know if a pitcher is "lucky"?
    DUKE.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast