Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast
    vCash
    I know this is probably going to be an unpopular question, especially in here, but for the past couple of years I have been in a pool where homeruns are the only thing that matters. Its a little more complicated then just drafting guys and going down the line, especially when you get towards the end. And you really have to get good value.

I havent fully embraced advanced stats though Im definitely not opposed to them. Just wondering if theres any stats or links that could be helpful other then simply HRs.

vCash

What is the frequency of the following?

Which is the order of rarest/hardest to hit in a 1 game by 1 player? 5 singles, 4 doubles, 3 home runs, 2 triples?

vCash
    If I had to guess...

4 Doubles
    5 Singles
    2 Triples
    3 Home Runs

vCash
    Any data looking at the value of green lighting 3-0 counts. Seems like its a straight fastball down the middle to go 3-1, then the batter fouls off a pitch because he's watched 4 pitches 3 of them out of the zone and is late and maybe swinging at questionable pitches.

How often do 3-0 pitch counts become 3-2? Even a green light with a smaller strike zone should keep the pitcher from getting a free strike.

vCash
    Just read Jim Caple's article on WAR- likes and dislikes.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...placement-stat

I really hate how sportswriters keep saying pro-saber uses WAR as the end-all stat. I haven't seen one person that uses WAR as the only stat to judge a player.

This excerpt really made me

And just in case you're thinking FanGraphs must feature the more reliable WAR, bear in mind that Ricky Nolasco was 13-9 with a 5.06 ERA in 2009 while pitching just 185 innings, but FanGraphs had his WAR at 4.3 that season.
    2009 Ricky Nolasco

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...830&position=P

2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

vCash
    Ignorance is bliss i guess...

It's very easy to bad mouth the information when a guy like Jim has no idea what it means in it's totality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post

I really hate how sportswriters keep saying pro-saber uses WAR as the end-all stat. I haven't seen one person that uses WAR as the only stat to judge a player.

2009 Ricky Nolasco

They are ignorant. How can someone write about the problems with WAR, then use a guys W-L and ERA as a reason why WAR is wrong. What an idiot.

He linked to Bleacher report also...

vCash
    What would an average HR/FB ratio be, and what would be considered lucky/unlucky or high/low?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBDOM4life View Post
    What would an average HR/FB ratio be, and what would be considered lucky/unlucky or high/low?
    http://www.fangraphs.com/library/ind.../pitching/hrs/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post

2009 Ricky Nolasco

I too hate it when my starting pitcher of 185 innings carries a 4.43 K/BB

What a bum :shame:

vCash
    So my question is on the term "peripherals" when discussing the sustainability of certain stats. I actually have two questions related to this:

1. What constitutes a "peripheral"? (I believe stats like GB%, LD%, etc. are considered this)
    2. How do you determine, when looking at the peripherals of a pitcher for example, what is sustainable in his stats and what is not?

Any links to some reading on this subject would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIlladelph16 View Post
    So my question is on the term "peripherals" when discussing the sustainability of certain stats. I actually have two questions related to this:

1. What constitutes a "peripheral"? (I believe stats like GB%, LD%, etc. are considered this)
    Exactly.

Things like FIP, etc are not peripherals, but their 'exaggerated' statistics qualify instead.

2. How do you determine, when looking at the peripherals of a pitcher for example, what is sustainable in his stats and what is not?

Every stat has a different time frame before it starts to sustain.

For example, if you are a pitcher, your K/BB and K/9 and BB/9 all start to sustain around 30-50 innings. So basically, at this point this season, most of pitchers K and BB rates (as well hitters) are getting close to what they should be all season long, barring a major change from the hitter. This is also the same for kids in the minors (at least hitters). Your plate discipline can sustain rather quickly.

Things like GB rate, FB rate etc start to sustain close to 50 innings as well, but they are usually really good once you reach 100 innings (as a pitcher).

And then things like your LOB%, babip and things like that start to sustain much later, like 300ish innings.

but you can usually predict a pitchers babip within reason once their GB rate etc starts to sustain.

Everything has a sustainability level where they begin to become consistent, but they are all different.

vCash
    Hey guys, if a player has the worst WAR in the MLB at the end of the season, does that make him the worst player? Or is there a way around WAR? It seems like such an important stat. Newb to saber stats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SACNYY View Post
    Hey guys, if a player has the worst WAR in the MLB at the end of the season, does that make him the worst player? Or is there a way around WAR? It seems like such an important stat. Newb to saber stats.
    Have to look at stats as a whole. Having the worst WAR would insinuate he is obviously among the worst players in baseball that season. Kind of like Ike Davis is this year

Look at WPA (win probability added)

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/wpa/

But again it's a process in totality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SACNYY View Post
    Not a be all end all. It is good, but not perfect. Important, but you cant just look at WAR and make 100% definite conclusions.

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast