Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Out of the "big 3" sports, I know much much much less about baseball than football and basketball. I feel like I can't really post in the MLB or Cubs forums because I'd basically just make myself look like...a Fool (lol). So I want to read up and familiarize myself with sabermetrics. So I looked at the two threads in this forum about books that you should read about sabermetrics and I complied a list:

Beyond Batting Average by Lee Panas
    The Hidden Game of Baseball by John Thorn
    The Fielding Bible -- Volume II by John Dewan
    The Diamond Appraised by Craig R. Wright
    Curve Ball by Jim Albert
    The Numbers Game by Alan Schwartz
    Baseball Between the Numbers by Jonah Keri
    The Book by Tom Tango

are there any more that I should check out? Are there some that I should read first? What are some good sites that I can use to begin to understand sabermetrics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    Out of the "big 3" sports, I know much much much less about baseball than football and basketball. I feel like I can't really post in the MLB or Cubs forums because I'd basically just make myself look like...a Fool (lol). So I want to read up and familiarize myself with sabermetrics. So I looked at the two threads in this forum about books that you should read about sabermetrics and I complied a list:

Curve Ball by Jim Albert
    The Book by Tom Tango

are there any more that I should check out? Are there some that I should read first? What are some good sites that I can use to begin to understand sabermetrics?
    It's not exactly saber, but Moneyball is worth reading. Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus are good sites to check out. You shouldn't be afraid to post in the forums just because you don't know much about sabermetrics. Most people won't make fun for you not knowing. Some will, but most people will lead you in the right direction.

vCash

Curve Ball by Jim Albert
    The Book by Tom Tango

If you're just starting, read Moneyball by Michael Lewis(wrote the Blindside as well). It's a story that's easy to follow and a great place to start. A movie is being made with Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill so that's something you can check out.

After that, I would go on to The Book. After that, I would just delve into the rest of the books if you've liked what you've read. Good luck!

vCash

Curve Ball by Jim Albert
    The Book by Tom Tango

I'd recommend starting with Panas' book first. It's not perfect, of course, but it's a fantastic stepping-stool. After that, I'd recommend "Baseball Between the Numbers" to get a look at some of the numbers applied (granted, they're outdated).

"The Book" is amazing but is probably well above most peoples' heads. It's a GREAT book, but it's a bit of a dry read. It does a wonderful job at challenging traditional thought.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    I can't remember what is the number of team wins a replacement level team would likely get in a season? Isn't it like 49 or something?
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoggin88 View Post
    I can't remember what is the number of team wins a replacement level team would likely get in a season? Isn't it like 49 or something?
    I think it depends on the source, but between 45-50. The one I've generally seen is 48 though.

vCash
    Are SIERA numbers widely available anywhere or do I have to calculate them myself?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan227 View Post
    Are SIERA numbers widely available anywhere or do I have to calculate them myself?
    Baseball Prospectus has them on their site.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=111056

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post
    Baseball Prospectus has them on their site.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=111056
    Thanks!

vCash
    Question: 0.1 UZR 3.8 UzR
    im new on this UZR thing........... i know probably a dumb question but 3.8 better 0.1 right?

vCash
    Yes.

vCash
    Anyone hear one of the sportscenter anchors the other morning use ISO in a joke when talking about Sam Fuld go to second when he could have had the cycle if he had stayed at first?

It was actually reasonably funny and used correctly.

vCash
    As of 4/15/11

Question about wOBA

Tulo has a higher ISO, SLG, higher BB rates, lower K-rates and a slightly lower OBP that A-Rod. Why is is that A-Rod has a higher wOBA and wRC+? Just wondering.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    As of 4/15/11

Question about wOBA

Tulo has a higher ISO, SLG, higher BB rates, lower K-rates and a slightly lower OBP that A-Rod. Why is is that A-Rod has a higher wOBA and wRC+? Just wondering.
    wOBA is league adjusted and wRC+ is league and park adjusted.

I'm not too fond of how much playing in the AL helps a player's adjusted stats but I think it's obvious that the AL is the superior league and adjustments are necessary.

vCash
    According to B-R, Mariano Rivera has a career 53.4 WAR. Where does this rank in terms of all relievers?
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast