Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_Wr3aker View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before or if it's too stupid but I was thinking about this last night

Does Uzr take into consideration if the ball in play is a LD FB or GB?

The GB part for Infielders

Yes batted ball type is accounted for

vCash
    now that i see tons of questions on UZR, i have one of my own.

does it take into account at all that another fielder might come into your zone and "steal" your outs?
    for example couldnt an overzealous or speedy CF'er or SS could cross over infront of you in your zone, and make you look like a worse fielder than you are?

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:

That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    why doesn't wOBA take into account Intentional Base on balls... there's got to be a run probablity associate with it to.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    why doesn't wOBA take into account Intentional Base on balls... there's got to be a run probablity associate with it to.
    The run value of an intentional walk is usually worth about 0.18 runs. Not very high at all.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    .18 runs is more than half of a non-intentional walk and roughly the same as a stolen base, so it's not entirely inconsequential.

However, Tango's position is that the win value of the intentional walk is essentially neutral compared to the win value of the given batter's normal plate appearance. Therefore, from a win perspective, you can throw IW out and just give the batter credit for the plate appearance, at the same value as his typical plate appearance. There is a discussion of his argument here.

vCash
    Some sites do include IBB though.

vCash
    What's the best way to look at Team Defense?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    You can look at team UZR.

Another good way personally would be. FIP-ERA. If its positive your defense has saved X earned runs per 9 innings. If its negative your defense has cost you X earned runs per 9 innings. Theoretically.
    Free Doug

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    You can look at team UZR.

Another good way personally would be. FIP-ERA. If its positive your defense has saved X earned runs per 9 innings. If its negative your defense has cost you X earned runs per 9 innings. Theoretically.
    Thank You

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Donnie View Post
    Team UZR was already mentioned, but DER (Defensive Efficiency Ratio) is pretty damn effective as well.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    For those that dont know DER is basically the opposite of BABIP.
    Free Doug

vCash
    I was wondering what kind of affect does the Green Monster has on UZR, if any at all?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    I was wondering what kind of affect does the Green Monster has on UZR, if any at all?
    MGL adjusts for it, since UZR is park-adjusted, but MGL himself has stated the adjustment isn't very good.

vCash
    I know I could probably find this pretty easily, but what's considered a good woba? .340+?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:

That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    I don't like the fact that reaching base by an error is factored into wOBA. Sure it correlates to run production, but it isn't a result of a person's skill. Why should someone get credit for reaching base on a ****** ground ball that goes through someone's legs?
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast