Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 437
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    I agree. I think it's crazier that Strasburg is where he is at on the list, though.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,625
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_Wr3aker View Post
    I have a lot of reading up to do myself....I can honestly say that I did not understand much of your explanation on wRAA and I still don't see how PA's alone make the value rise.
    But I'll check it out tommorow when my mind is fresh

    Thank you and Good Night
    You have to think of wRAA as a counting stat (that can diminish).

    Player A has a wOBA of .365 and has 100 PA.

    Player B has a wOBA of .363 and has 500 PA.

    If the average wOBA is .335, wouldnt you say that player B has created more runs above average than player A?

    Per PA yes player A has been better, but player B has more PA, and therefore has created more runs. Make sense? I know G4L said something, but I thought I would try to help explain as well.
    Free Doug

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Riverton,il
    Posts
    15,565
    vCash
    1500
    Is either UZR or UZR/150 a better stat then the other. Or are they both about equal?

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,978
    vCash
    1500
    UZR/150 is UZR extrapolated for a full season.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Is either UZR or UZR/150 a better stat then the other. Or are they both about equal?
    Just stick with UZR. UZR/150 is an estimate of a player's performance over a season; UZR by itself is a measurement of the player's actual performance.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    30,602
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    You have to think of wRAA as a counting stat (that can diminish).

    Player A has a wOBA of .365 and has 100 PA.

    Player B has a wOBA of .363 and has 500 PA.

    If the average wOBA is .335, wouldnt you say that player B has created more runs above average than player A?

    Per PA yes player A has been better, but player B has more PA, and therefore has created more runs. Make sense? I know G4L said something, but I thought I would try to help explain as well.

    Ah this explanation I understand clearly thanks to both of you G4L and yourself


    This one might be a simpler question and even border on stupid : where does the Positional value come from to calculate RAR?
    Last edited by Havoc Wreaker; 07-22-2009 at 12:07 AM.

    Props.LgnD.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,978
    vCash
    1500
    The positional adjustments are:
    +1.0 wins C
    +0.5 SS/CF
    +0.0 2B/3B
    -0.5 LF/RF/PH
    -1.0 1B
    -1.5 DH

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    30,602
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    The positional adjustments are:
    +1.0 wins C
    +0.5 SS/CF
    +0.0 2B/3B
    -0.5 LF/RF/PH
    -1.0 1B
    -1.5 DH
    Fangraphs says:

    Positional Adjustment set at
    +12.5 for C,
    +7.5 for SS,
    +2.5 for 2B/3B/CF,
    -7.5 for RF/LF,
    -12.5 for 1B,
    -17.5 for DH

    And after that...how do you get to the values the players have...for example Pujols has a -7.3 Positional Value

    Props.LgnD.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    It's prorated.

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,978
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_Wr3aker View Post
    Fangraphs says:

    Positional Adjustment set at
    +12.5 for C,
    +7.5 for SS,
    +2.5 for 2B/3B/CF,
    -7.5 for RF/LF,
    -12.5 for 1B,
    -17.5 for DH

    And after that...how do you get to the values the players have...for example Pujols has a -7.3 Positional Value
    Yeah those are in runs. I think FanGraphs expresses it in expected playing time, while The Book has it expressed in the situation that they play all the time.

    And for the 2nd question, what he said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    It's prorated.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,033
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_Wr3aker View Post
    Fangraphs says:

    Positional Adjustment set at
    +12.5 for C,
    +7.5 for SS,
    +2.5 for 2B/3B/CF,
    -7.5 for RF/LF,
    -12.5 for 1B,
    -17.5 for DH

    And after that...how do you get to the values the players have...for example Pujols has a -7.3 Positional Value
    They really ought to change that. 3b should not be lumped in with 2b and CF.


  12. #177
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,978
    vCash
    1500
    2B and 3B are the same, I have no idea why CF is with them.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,033
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    2B and 3B are the same, I have no idea why CF is with them.
    2b and CF are fairly similar offensively, 3b is a lot closer to LF/RF though. The past three years(2006-2008), the average major league 2b has hit:

    2006 - .275/.333/.409
    2007 - .277/.339/.417
    2008 - .275/.338/.409

    For CF:

    2006 - .269/.334/.426
    2007 - .272/.337/.420
    2008 - .268/.333/.419

    For 3b:

    2006 - .276/.346/.458
    2007 - .273/.341/.442
    2008 - .265/.335/.435

    3b has been kind of a cut above those other two in the recent past, although this year 3b has been right in line with 2b and CF offensively. Still though, I think 3b should probably be set in between 2b/CF and LF/RF.


  14. #179
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    2b and CF are fairly similar offensively, 3b is a lot closer to LF/RF though. The past three years(2006-2008), the average major league 2b has hit:

    2006 - .275/.333/.409
    2007 - .277/.339/.417
    2008 - .275/.338/.409

    For CF:

    2006 - .269/.334/.426
    2007 - .272/.337/.420
    2008 - .268/.333/.419

    For 3b:

    2006 - .276/.346/.458
    2007 - .273/.341/.442
    2008 - .265/.335/.435

    3b has been kind of a cut above those other two in the recent past, although this year 3b has been right in line with 2b and CF offensively. Still though, I think 3b should probably be set in between 2b/CF and LF/RF.
    Except that positional adjustments aren't based on hitting averages. They are based on UZR defensive studies.

    As for positional adjustments, if you don't agree with them, then you should come up with some statistical and strong anecdotal evidence that rivals them.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,033
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    Except that positional adjustments aren't based on hitting averages. They are based on UZR defensive studies.

    As for positional adjustments, if you don't agree with them, then you should come up with some statistical and strong anecdotal evidence that rivals them.
    How is a positional adjustment not based on hitting averages? Isn't the whole point of having a positional adjustment because offense is harder to find at some spots more than others?
    Last edited by Jilly Bohnson; 07-23-2009 at 04:52 PM.


Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •