Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    I have a couple questions, sorry if they have been posted, but 10 pages is alot to go through. I usually use fangraphs or stat corner to find stats, but I still dont understand them real well yet.

for instance, I know higher a players woba the better. But what is considered average?Same with tRA.
    wOBA: around .340. It'll be damn close to league average OBP.

tRA:

http://statcorner.com/pitcherSP.php?...=2009&leag=A_L

Right next to tRA, there is a column called "lgtRA". That is the average tRA for each particular season. As you can see, it hovers around 4.85 to 4.90.

Also on stat corner if you look at a teams page, so hitters will be red and some green, im assuming that red for bad and green for good. but what about players whos stats are in bold, I thought that was maybe team leader but sometimes multiple players stats are bold.
    I have no idea. Not really that important.

For woba is thereposition averages? Like for SS's you would expect a lower woba then your more offensive positions. Like say wouldnt a .365 woba be more valuble from a SS then a 1B. I hope someone understans what im trying to say.
    I understand, but I don't really know.

is 0.0 average for UZR and UZR/150?
    Yes. Relative to each position.

Is there any good defensive stats for cathchers?
    Not really. THT has some which are a bit useful.

Im trying to learn more about WAR. What would be below avg, avg, and above average
    ?

2 is average. 4 is good. 5 is great. Anything around and above 7 is all-star, Albert Pujols like.

Sorry if thats alot of questions or if I was confusing[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Do you know Bill Simmons, from ESPN.com? Well every summer he does a top 50 guys in the NBA in terms of trade value. Takes into account everything, production, upside, salary, etc. Well Dave Cameron on Fangraphs decided to do one too, except obviously with MLB. Here it is:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...de-value-recap

And I'm not a huge fan of the list, but Matt Wieters at number 5 is the one that just makes me facepalm like crazy.
    No, I'm familiar with what he's doing, since I read the series when he did it last season. What I'm asking is why you disagree. To expand on that.

vCash
    For woba is thereposition averages? Like for SS's you would expect a lower woba then your more offensive positions. Like say wouldnt a .365 woba be more valuble from a SS then a 1B. I hope someone understans what im trying to say.
    I would think the positional adjustment for WAR answers this question. A .365 wOBA would certainly be more valuable from a SS than from a 1B- I think that's pretty intuitive- but that's why you have the positional adjustment.

vCash
    Ok...I got into an argument with a friend about Justin Morneau so I went to fangraphs and confirmed that there were

10 or so better 1B on defense according to UZR and that there are 10 better on offense according to wOBA (which I dont fully understand) and according to OPS too.

Then I went to the VALUE part and found that Morneau has a higher WAR than most of the 1B who were above him on UZR, wOBA and OPS

Can anyone explain

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    That were above him in both UZR and wOBA, or just one of the two? If it's just one, then there is your answer. If both, then it could be that he has a lot more PAs than those 1B. Since wOBA isn't in its park-adjusted form at wOBA, but park-adjusted when converted to runs, it could be that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    That were above him in both UZR and wOBA, or just one of the two? If it's just one, then there is your answer. If both, then it could be that he has a lot more PAs than those 1B. Since wOBA isn't in its park-adjusted form at wOBA, but park-adjusted when converted to runs, it could be that.
    9 or 10 were ahead in both UZR and wOBA

And can you explain the bolded part any further?
    Last edited by Havoc Wreaker; 07-21-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_Wr3aker View Post
    9 or 10 were ahead in both UZR and wOBA

And can you explain the bolded part any further?
    Well, the 1B could have a higher wOBA than him, but if he has more PAs, he could end up with a higher amount of runs above average.

And wOBA at fangraphs isn't park-adjusted. Instead, it is park-adjusted when converted to runs above average. Just as above, in that process, he could end up with a higher amount of runs above average due to park factors.

Nah I mean?

vCash
    Well, the 1B could have a higher wOBA than him, but if he has more PAs, he could end up with a higher amount of runs above average.

And wOBA at fangraphs isn't park-adjusted. Instead, it is park-adjusted when converted to runs above average. Just as above, in that process, he could end up with a higher amount of runs above average due to park factors.

Nah I mean?
    yes....but why does wRAA (if thats runs above average) depends on PAs? I mean why would a player have a higer wRAA just because he has more PAs

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    yes....but why does wRAA (if thats runs above average) depends on PAs? I mean why would a player have a higer wRAA just because he has more PAs
    Because it's a counting stat. It measures how many runs above the average player that player would have in the same amount of PA as the average player.

wRAA=PA*RV/PA

RV/PA is the constant I think you're looking for. It's also, "above average". How many more runs the batter produces in his PA than the average player.

I've never said average so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    Because it's a counting stat. It measures how many runs above the average player that player would have in the same amount of PA as the average player.

wRAA=PA*RV/PA

RV/PA is the constant I think you're looking for. It's also, "above average". How many more runs the batter produces in his PA than the average player.

I've never said average so much.
    That.

vCash
    I have some work to do with this stuff haha and I might as well tell him he won the argument...cause there is no way in HELL he will understand or let me explain all of this hahahaha

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    I have a couple questions, sorry if they have been posted, but 10 pages is alot to go through. I usually use fangraphs or stat corner to find stats, but I still dont understand them real well yet.

for instance, I know higher a players woba the better. But what is considered average? Same with tRA.
    Average wOBA is basically the OBP for that league.

Also on stat corner if you look at a teams page, so hitters will be red and some green, im assuming that red for bad and green for good. but what about players whos stats are in bold, I thought that was maybe team leader but sometimes multiple players stats are bold.

I believe it breaks it up into percentiles. The elite hitters will be bold, as well as the god awful ones.

More specifically, green is above average, red is below.

Just use the difference in wins. Since a SS is worth 1.5 more wins than the 1B, assuming they're both the same defensively relative to their position, then they're only equal if the 1B is better offensively by 1.5 wins (15.75 runs). So you could probably calculate this in reverse. But it's not really worth it.

is 0.0 average for UZR and UZR/150?
    Is there any good defensive stats for cathchers?

Im trying to learn more about WAR. What would be below avg, avg, and above average?

Sorry if thats alot of questions or if I was confusing
    Seamhead answered all this. But to add, above 10 WAR is Bonds-like

vCash
    I have some work to do with this stuff haha and I might as well tell him he won the argument...cause there is no way in HELL he will understand or let me explain all of this hahahaha
    Just tell him your understanding is way above his and that if you tried to explain it to him, his mind would explode. And make it longer, so it takes like 20 seconds to explain. Works all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    Just tell him your understanding is way above his and that if you tried to explain it to him, his mind would explode. And make it longer, so it takes like 20 seconds to explain. Works all the time.
    I have a lot of reading up to do myself....I can honestly say that I did not understand much of your explanation on wRAA and I still don't see how PA's alone make the value rise.
    But I'll check it out tommorow when my mind is fresh

Thank you and Good Night

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    I have a lot of reading up to do myself....I can honestly say that I did not understand much of your explanation on wRAA and I still don't see how PA's alone make the value rise.
    But I'll check it out tommorow when my mind is fresh

Thank you and Good Night
    Well I'll explain it this way:

You understand the concept of Runs Created right? PA*OPS basically, and it's a way of measuring run production.

Well wRC (weighted Runs Created) is basically wRAA without the above average part. It calculates the expected runs created based on wOBA.

wRAA is runs created, relative to the average player.

vCash
    wOBA: around .340. It'll be damn close to league average OBP.

tRA:

http://statcorner.com/pitcherSP.php?...=2009&leag=A_L

Right next to tRA, there is a column called "lgtRA". That is the average tRA for each particular season. As you can see, it hovers around 4.85 to 4.90.

I have no idea. Not really that important.

I understand, but I don't really know.

Yes. Relative to each position.

Not really. THT has some which are a bit useful.

?

2 is average. 4 is good. 5 is great. Anything around and above 7 is all-star, Albert Pujols like.

Sorry if thats alot of questions or if I was confusing

No, I'm familiar with what he's doing, since I read the series when he did it last season. What I'm asking is why you disagree. To expand on that.[/QUOTE]

Matt Wieters is crazy overrated if you ask me. I think people confused a high amount of polish with some outrageous Mike Piazza's bat with Pudge Rodriguez's glove type of upside. Also, I don't see how anything he did last year should have changed his scouting reports so drastically from when he was drafted. He should be a good player, very good even, but something in the .280/.380/.480 range rather than some of the more hardcore expectations thrown his way. He should definitely be on the list, but at #5 that's just a joke IMO. When your'e THAT high on the list, you need to have shown something in the majors. He shouldn't be top 15, much less top 5.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast