Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    vCash
    is there a stat that puts unearned runs into ERA?

vCash
    I don't get it. Add unearned runs to the total yourself? Not sure what that accomplishes.

vCash
    Why is a walk weighted less than a HBP in wOBA?

vCash
    This is likely because there are some walks that do not result in runs. For instance, 8th place hitters in the NL get pitched around at times and the pitcher subsequently will more than likely not get the runner in.

Most HBP are usually by accident, and can come at bad times.

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    How is "***" determined? I ask because I was looking through Brett Gardner's stats on fangraphs, and noticed that his *** over the course of his career (including minors) are: 8.2, 8.5, 8.2, 8.9, 8.1, 8.9, and 8.6. His ZiPS (RoS) is 8.2 and his ZiPS (Update) is 8.7.

My question is...how does this result in a career *** of 9.1?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=OF#advanced

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool View Post
    is there a stat that puts unearned runs into ERA?
    RA9 is all runs allowed per nine innings.

I know firstinning has it, but its fairly easy to calculate yourself.

R/IP*9
    Free Doug

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    How is "***" determined? I ask because I was looking through Brett Gardner's stats on fangraphs, and noticed that his *** over the course of his career (including minors) are: 8.2, 8.5, 8.2, 8.9, 8.1, 8.9, and 8.6. His ZiPS (RoS) is 8.2 and his ZiPS (Update) is 8.7.

My question is...how does this result in a career *** of 9.1?

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=OF#advanced
    This is the definition:

Speed Score (***) is one of five primary production metrics used by PECOTA in identifying a hitter's comparables. It is based in principle on the Bill James speed score and includes five components: Stolen base percentage, stolen base attempts as a percentage of opportunities, triples, double plays grounded into as a percentage of opportunities, and runs scored as a percentage of times on base.
    Beginning in 2006, BP has developed a proprietary version of Speed Score that takes better advantage of play-by-play data and ensures that equal weight is given to the five components. In the BP formulation of Speed Score, an average rating is exactly 5.0. The highest and lowest possible scores are 10.0 and 0.0, respectively, but in practice most players fall within the boundary between 7.0 (very fast) and 3.0 (very slow).
    Well thats the PECOTA version.

And I dont see *** on the PECOTA cards on BP.
    Free Doug

vCash
    To continue with speed score here a few nice articles

One by MGL http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...d-and-defense/

This shows a calculation but not sure if its the one used by fangraphs. http://strikeoutbaseball.com/speedscore.htm

Hope that helps a little more.
    Free Doug

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    To continue with speed score here a few nice articles

One by MGL http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...d-and-defense/

This shows a calculation but not sure if its the one used by fangraphs. http://strikeoutbaseball.com/speedscore.htm

Hope that helps a little more.
    Thanks, it does, I'll definitely check those out. I guess what I was wondering was how do several years of *** numbers being 8.x end up giving him a career *** number of 9.1?

It just left me scratching my head to be honest.

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

vCash
    Not a question but I wanted to give a big ol' to Dave Cameron for having Matt Wieters at #5 on his top 50 MLB trade value list thingy.

vCash
    Could you expand? I didn't read any of the rankings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamhead View Post
    Could you expand? I didn't read any of the rankings.
    Do you know Bill Simmons, from ESPN.com? Well every summer he does a top 50 guys in the NBA in terms of trade value. Takes into account everything, production, upside, salary, etc. Well Dave Cameron on Fangraphs decided to do one too, except obviously with MLB. Here it is:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...de-value-recap

And I'm not a huge fan of the list, but Matt Wieters at number 5 is the one that just makes me facepalm like crazy.

vCash
    I have a couple questions, sorry if they have been posted, but 10 pages is alot to go through. I usually use fangraphs or stat corner to find stats, but I still dont understand them real well yet.

for instance, I know higher a players woba the better. But what is considered average? Same with tRA. Also on stat corner if you look at a teams page, so hitters will be red and some green, im assuming that red for bad and green for good. but what about players whos stats are in bold, I thought that was maybe team leader but sometimes multiple players stats are bold.
    For woba is thereposition averages? Like for SS's you would expect a lower woba then your more offensive positions. Like say wouldnt a .365 woba be more valuble from a SS then a 1B. I hope someone understans what im trying to say.

is 0.0 average for UZR and UZR/150?
    Is there any good defensive stats for cathchers?

Im trying to learn more about WAR. What would be below avg, avg, and above average?

Sorry if thats alot of questions or if I was confusing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Do you know Bill Simmons, from ESPN.com? Well every summer he does a top 50 guys in the NBA in terms of trade value. Takes into account everything, production, upside, salary, etc. Well Dave Cameron on Fangraphs decided to do one too, except obviously with MLB. Here it is:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...de-value-recap

And I'm not a huge fan of the list, but Matt Wieters at number 5 is the one that just makes me facepalm like crazy.
    That list does look bad. Other then Weiters, how is Troy Tul ahead of Mauer. Why is Strasburg and Buchholz on the list. I mean Buchholz has pitched very good in the minors, but that just the minors, and Strasburg hasnt even signed yet I believe. I dont know alot about Saber stats yet, so maybe im worng

vCash
    Also what is average for tRA+?

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast