Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
    Alright I have multiple questions, of course one relating too tRA which was asked before but not really answered because the thread died.

Alright so you now how it shows a pitcher's "true talent level". Well my questions are why does that true talent level change every year, or if in fact it takes a career to figure out the pitchers "true talent level" then would the stat not be as useful if it is after the fact? Again i just have a problem with the phrase true talent level. I think it should be like tru production level for a season.
    You're somewhat nitpicking, but the truth is a player's talent level is ALWAYS changing.

tRA doesn't necessarily show true talent level. As the primer explains, the rates can regress a lot so tRA* is the best measurement of true talent level (of a season).

tRA* is not a measurement of a pitcher's results per se, but should be seen as the system's best estimate of a pitcher's true talent level based on his stats in any given year at any given level. tRA* does not consider a pitcher's statistics from other years and leagues.
    And another is why does it seem like VORP is used so rarely? I really like the stat but it seems like its just never used.
    It's flawed. It also only considers offense for position players.

and this is just something i kind of came up with and it may sound stupid.

But is there anyway to figure out how man runs a pitcher is expected to give up with specific defenses? like to actual team defenses?

Like this pitcher should give up this many runs with the Red Sox defense, and this is what he would give up with the yankees defense? So you could figure out if a pitcher would be more valuable to one team as opposed to another?

And dont worry about saying its a stupid question because i feel there is a good chance it is.
    Well say you're using a projection system. Perhaps ZiPS and FIP. Since FIP is defense independent, you can use fielding projections to add or subtract to the runs. Say a guy's FIP is 3.00 and he pitches 180 innings (60 runs allowed). You could see the fielder's projected +/- runs in 180 innings and then add or subtract it from 60. Obviously there's more to it since some pitchers get more groundballs, etc. so you'd have to look into it to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-the-great View Post
    i haven't looked through this thread to see if this has been asked/answered...

i am wondering how a ball is deemed to be a line drive?
    MLB.com?

Whoever is watching the game data really. Not sure though.

vCash
    Regarding why players have big swings in performance from season to season - 700PA nad 200IP are really small samples when it comes to statistical analysis...just calculate for yourself what the difference for a hitter is if he has 10more singles fall in, or 10doubles, or if he flies out to warning track instead of hitting it out 5times....

That's the biggest problem and reason why looking at stuff like LD%, hit ball speed, plate discipline is important...because if you are unlucky, you will have bad numbers over 700PA even if you are Albert Pujols

vCash
    I saw IsoP mentioned in the formula's thread. Can someone give me a quick description of what it measures and what it tells us?

vCash
    IsoP is the same thing as ISO as far as I know, and stands for Isolated Power. It measures raw power, and is the difference between SLG and BA.

Some variations account triples as the same as doubles (crediting them to speed more than power) making the calculation (2B+3B+3(HR))/AB

vCash
    the other day i asked how a ball is deemed to be a line drive?

i am wondering if that is determined by some program/site that measures height, distance, and trajectory of each batted ball? and thereby classifies balls as line drives or not....

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    I was trying to read up on tRA, and found this, which was extremely helpful, however I also found this regarding FIP. Which metric do you all feel is better for determining a pitcher's value, and why?

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

vCash
    Definitely tRA, as it considers all part of a pitcher's game. FIP is limited, while tRA accounts for everything.

vCash
    i just don't like tRA according to it Lester is having a "better" year than Beckett, but that isnt the case at all, and I wouldn't have to look at any stats to know that.

yea maybe lester's K rates are better but he hasn't been unlucky he has just been god awful up until the start of june.
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    Sure, believe what you want. But Lester's .340 BABIP suggests that his BAA is too high, and he K's 9/9 IP, and only walks 3. He also has a very high GB rate, which is always a plus. Beckett's numbers are basically identical though, he just hasn't been lucky nor unlucky. And you're nitpicking, the difference between their tRA is .03.

vCash
    ok? but beckett has done better.....

maybe tRA says lester is supposed to be better but he hasn't been

vCash
    That's your opinion.

Lester K's more and gives up fewer line drives. Doesn't sound like Beckett is that much better.

vCash
    ok? but beckett has done better.....

maybe tRA says lester is supposed to be better but he hasn't been
    This is one of those instances where you're supposed to support your claims with evidence.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

vCash
    my evidence is their ERAs, and ERA+

Beckett give up fewer hits and homeruns per nine innings, their walk rates are the same. The only thing lester has is more Ks per nine innings.

Okay so tRA is saying that lester should be better than beckett right now... well he isn't.

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    Maybe I'm just an idiot or maybe I'm just blind, but where can I find home road splits for any given player? I'm looking at fangraphs and I must be just missing it.

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    Maybe I'm just an idiot or maybe I'm just blind, but where can I find home road splits for any given player? I'm looking at fangraphs and I must be just missing it.
    baseball-reference has it for general stats

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast