Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
Alright I have multiple questions, of course one relating too tRA which was asked before but not really answered because the thread died.

Alright so you now how it shows a pitcher's "true talent level". Well my questions are why does that true talent level change every year, or if in fact it takes a career to figure out the pitchers "true talent level" then would the stat not be as useful if it is after the fact? Again i just have a problem with the phrase true talent level. I think it should be like tru production level for a season.
You're somewhat nitpicking, but the truth is a player's talent level is ALWAYS changing.

tRA doesn't necessarily show true talent level. As the primer explains, the rates can regress a lot so tRA* is the best measurement of true talent level (of a season).

tRA* is not a measurement of a pitcher's results per se, but should be seen as the system's best estimate of a pitcher's true talent level based on his stats in any given year at any given level. tRA* does not consider a pitcher's statistics from other years and leagues.
And another is why does it seem like VORP is used so rarely? I really like the stat but it seems like its just never used.
It's flawed. It also only considers offense for position players.

Quote Originally Posted by papipapsmanny View Post
and this is just something i kind of came up with and it may sound stupid.

But is there anyway to figure out how man runs a pitcher is expected to give up with specific defenses? like to actual team defenses?

Like this pitcher should give up this many runs with the Red Sox defense, and this is what he would give up with the yankees defense? So you could figure out if a pitcher would be more valuable to one team as opposed to another?

And dont worry about saying its a stupid question because i feel there is a good chance it is.
Well say you're using a projection system. Perhaps ZiPS and FIP. Since FIP is defense independent, you can use fielding projections to add or subtract to the runs. Say a guy's FIP is 3.00 and he pitches 180 innings (60 runs allowed). You could see the fielder's projected +/- runs in 180 innings and then add or subtract it from 60. Obviously there's more to it since some pitchers get more groundballs, etc. so you'd have to look into it to be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-the-great View Post
i haven't looked through this thread to see if this has been asked/answered...

i am wondering how a ball is deemed to be a line drive?
MLB.com?

Whoever is watching the game data really. Not sure though.