Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 436
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500

    The Simple Questions Thread

    Have any questions that aren't relevant in any future/present thread? Then ask them here. Someone will either answer them, or better yet, link you somewhere where your question will be answered.

    Oh, and there's already a good mailbag here:

    http://www.tangotiger.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mailbags

    Though, this is more advanced stuff.
    Last edited by Seamhead; 06-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,031
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, we're going to make this the simple question thread. What's OPS? What is UZR? Quick and easy stuff go in here, harder stuff can get it's own topic.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Agreed. Feel free to change the title to "Simple Questions Thread".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,684
    vCash
    1500
    Woba please. I consider myself fairly smart, but I can't wrap my head around it as described in The Book or by Rob Neyer, so in simple terms please.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    28,064
    vCash
    1500
    I will start it off.

    How is UZR/150 figured?

    Because it sure as hell isnt current UZR figured over 150 games. At least not on fangraphs it isnt.

    For example. Last year the Royals had a positive UZR, but a negative UZR/150. Or like this year Nick Swisher has a -.3 UZR in RF, but a 2.6 UZR/150.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,031
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    Woba please. I consider myself fairly smart, but I can't wrap my head around it as described in The Book or by Rob Neyer, so in simple terms please.
    Okay, so basically it goes like this. You know how stuff like a single, a double, a walk, and a homerun, etc. each have a run expectancy attached to them? That is, for example, a single is worth let's say half a run, meaning for every single that is hit it generally leads to half a run scored on average. Well what wOBA does, is it takes all of what a player did, all their singles, doubles, homers, etc., attaches their run expectancy for each of those events, and then multiplies them by certain mulitpliers that make wOBA on the same scale as OBP to make it easier to understand. So for example about .335 would be average, .350 would be pretty good, and .400 would f'ing awesome.


  7. #7
    Zep's Avatar
    Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    1500
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:

    wOBA = (0.72xNIBB + 0.75xHBP + 0.90x1B + 0.92xRBOE + 1.24x2B + 1.56x3B +1.95xHR) / PA
    That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

    wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    Last edited by Zep; 06-22-2009 at 02:42 PM.


    Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

    A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,031
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    I will start it off.

    How is UZR/150 figured?

    Because it sure as hell isnt current UZR figured over 150 games. At least not on fangraphs it isnt.

    For example. Last year the Royals had a positive UZR, but a negative UZR/150. Or like this year Nick Swisher has a -.3 UZR in RF, but a 2.6 UZR/150.
    That's a really good question. I'm not sure, the only thing I'm thinking is maybe it is influenced by what they have done in the past? So Nick's got a -.3, but in the past he's done quite well in RF, a 9.3 in his career. So perhaps for partial seasons, a player's UZR/150 has a component of what would be expected given their previous performance?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,684
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Okay, so basically it goes like this. You know how stuff like a single, a double, a walk, and a homerun, etc. each have a run expectancy attached to them? That is, for example, a single is worth let's say half a run, meaning for every single that is hit it generally leads to half a run scored on average. Well what wOBA does, is it takes all of what a player did, all their singles, doubles, homers, etc., attaches their run expectancy for each of those events, and then multiplies them by certain mulitpliers that make wOBA on the same scale as OBP to make it easier to understand. So for example about .335 would be average, .350 would be pretty good, and .400 would f'ing awesome.
    ahhhh....got it. Thanks!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,693
    vCash
    1500
    Ok Sabermetrics + me dont click.. except for the simple things... heres a question i want to know... what sabermetric stat is best to determine a players overall value and skill to a team?


    lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    34,674
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Ok Sabermetrics + me dont click.. except for the simple things... heres a question i want to know... what sabermetric stat is best to determine a players overall value and skill to a team?
    I would look at a multitude of stats to determine a players value. The best available offensive stat in my opinion is wOBA with UZR being the best available defensive metric. For pitching I like to look at FIP, BABIP and their K/BB.

    VORP tries to determine a players value to a team but it does not take into account defense.

    There is also WAR which weights wOBA and UZR in a formula to calculate how many wins a position player adds to a team. There is also a formula to calculate WAR for pitchers. I am not too familiar with this stat though

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    39,141
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Yeah, we're going to make this the simple question thread. What's OPS? What is UZR? Quick and easy stuff go in here, harder stuff can get it's own topic.
    Maybe a stickied thread of a glossary of terms would be helpful?

    EDIT: Nevermind you guys are way ahead of me.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Great Northeast
    Posts
    28,972
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:



    That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

    wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    Is that the fangraph formula or the SC one?

    Actually, I'll expand. Fangraphs uses a different wOBA formula than Statcorner. Which one is the better one in people's opinions? And why? Perhaps this isn't a simple question and warrants it's own thread.

    It does bring up the issue with Saber stuff. .BA is, well .BA. Everyone computes it the same way. The fact that wOBA fluctuates in the way it's acquired probably turns some people off to the concept.
    Last edited by Rylinkus; 06-22-2009 at 04:27 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,993
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    I will start it off.

    How is UZR/150 figured?

    Because it sure as hell isnt current UZR figured over 150 games. At least not on fangraphs it isnt.

    For example. Last year the Royals had a positive UZR, but a negative UZR/150. Or like this year Nick Swisher has a -.3 UZR in RF, but a 2.6 UZR/150.
    It is UZR over 150 games. But it's 150 defensive games. It's based upon the expected chances at their relative position. Meaning if a 2B plays 9 innings but gets no balls hit to him, he really didn't even play a defensive game.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=OF#fielding

    Right at the beginning of the right columns, it says "DG," that of course stands for Defensive Games.

    The reason the UZR/150 can come out so weird like that is because they simply don't extrapolate UZR. They extrapolate errors, range, arm, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Ok Sabermetrics + me dont click.. except for the simple things... heres a question i want to know... what sabermetric stat is best to determine a players overall value and skill to a team?
    Lavigne pretty much had it.

    WAR is the best stat in measuring a player's overall value to his team at the moment. Of course, you need to use the best stats in order to measure it correctly.

    A combination of UZR and +/- (you must pay for this though) for defense (some use the Fans' Scouting Report, probably go over this later).

    wOBA is the way to go for offense.

    And FIP or tRA for pitchers. Some like to use ERA with FIP, but tRA is probably the way to go as well.

    The whole concept of WAR takes a while to explain, and honestly probably deserves its own thread. I believe seamhead made a post about it in the MLB forum, maybe he could repost it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Is that the fangraph formula or the SC one?

    Actually, I'll expand. Fangraphs uses a different wOBA formula than Statcorner. Which one is the better one in people's opinions? And why? Perhaps this isn't a simple question and warrants it's own thread.

    It does bring up the issue with Saber stuff. .BA is, well .BA. Everyone computes it the same way. The fact that wOBA fluctuates in the way it's acquired probably turns some people off to the concept.
    I believe the major difference is that fangraphs incorporates stolen bases into its equation. Everything else is just alterations of the historical data. In the longrun, the difference shouldn't be large. I prefer SC simply because of wOBA*.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Okay, so basically it goes like this. You know how stuff like a single, a double, a walk, and a homerun, etc. each have a run expectancy attached to them? That is, for example, a single is worth let's say half a run, meaning for every single that is hit it generally leads to half a run scored on average. Well what wOBA does, is it takes all of what a player did, all their singles, doubles, homers, etc., attaches their run expectancy for each of those events, and then multiplies them by certain mulitpliers that make wOBA on the same scale as OBP to make it easier to understand. So for example about .335 would be average, .350 would be pretty good, and .400 would f'ing awesome.
    And run expectancy = move over value (slugging in a way) + get on-base value (OBP).

    It's context-neutral, meaning it doesn't take into account any type of situation. It's just the marginal value of the event given a neutral environment.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •