Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    According to B-R, Mariano Rivera has a career 53.4 WAR. Where does this rank in terms of all relievers?
    I just used FanGraphs, since it's easier and he has the highest overall WAR with 36.5.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...on1=1871&ind=0

vCash
    I've got a question about FIP. Currently on Fangraphs Matt Garza has an ERA 4.17, but his FIP is 1.62. Why is there such a big gap? Is it solely because of his high strikeout totals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB mwat15 View Post
    I've got a question about FIP. Currently on Fangraphs Matt Garza has an ERA 4.17, but his FIP is 1.62. Why is there such a big gap? Is it solely because of his high strikeout totals?
    That, and the Cubs defense is terrible. He has a .382 BABIP (when he was on the Rays it was about .270 year-to-year) and an insanley high amount of infield hits are getting on base (16.7%).

The amazing thing is all his peripherals point to him getting better as the year goes on; with the only thing that will most likely starting going up and hurting him being home runs. A big part of it is his increased GB%. Combine every other hit being a groundball with 1 of every 3 batters getting struck out and you have a formula for success.
    Last edited by OneTuzSea; 05-12-2011 at 02:45 PM.

vCash
    I also have a question, too. Is there any particular reason SwngStr% correlates to K/9? Does it just kind of happen or is there something to it? I've always wondered about this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTuzSea View Post
    I also have a question, too. Is there any particular reason SwngStr% correlates to K/9? Does it just kind of happen or is there something to it? I've always wondered about this.
    Well it only makes sense that if people swing and miss at your stuff more often then you are more likely to strike out more people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    Well it only makes sense that if people swing and miss at your stuff more often then you are more likely to strike out more people.
    It's just weird to me that, chance are, if you have a 11% SwStr%, you're probably going to have around a 11 K/9.

vCash
    what are the best stats for determining a player's performance (ie wOBA, WAR, etc)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by xnickx5757 View Post
    what are the best stats for determining a player's performance (ie wOBA, WAR, etc)
    I like wOBA and wRC+ for in season. wOBA is basically a better OPS, and wRC+ is a good overview on an easy-to-understand scale (100 is average, anything above is good, below is bad). I think the league average wOBA is usually somewhere around .333 but not totally sure.

WAR is good for comparing multiple seasons and long term success, but I don't like using it in season much.

vCash
    I like wOBA and wRC+ for in season. wOBA is basically a better OPS, and wRC+ is a good overview on an easy-to-understand scale (100 is average, anything above is good, below is bad). I think the league average wOBA is usually somewhere around .333 but not totally sure.

WAR is good for comparing multiple seasons and long term success, but I don't like using it in season much.
    thanks

EDIT: What are the best books that deal with sabermetrics?
    Last edited by xnick5757; 06-21-2011 at 11:31 PM.

vCash
    Is there a baserunning statistic? Like in the sense of getting thrown out? Maybe moreso a coaches stat but I don't think they keep those.

I only ask because Brian Butterfield seems to have a lot of guys thrown out at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    Is there a baserunning statistic? Like in the sense of getting thrown out? Maybe moreso a coaches stat but I don't think they keep those.

I only ask because Brian Butterfield seems to have a lot of guys thrown out at home.
    Fangraphs just instituted a stat called Bsr. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but there isn't much on baserunning.

vCash
    That, and the Cubs defense is terrible. He has a .382 BABIP (when he was on the Rays it was about .270 year-to-year) and an insanley high amount of infield hits are getting on base (16.7%).

The amazing thing is all his peripherals point to him getting better as the year goes on; with the only thing that will most likely starting going up and hurting him being home runs. A big part of it is his increased GB%. Combine every other hit being a groundball with 1 of every 3 batters getting struck out and you have a formula for success.

Since coming to the Cubs and playing in a different park he knew he would have to start not only striking out more players but, inducing more GBs so he did pick up throwing a **** ton more breaking pitches compared to his FB. Honestly it has actually lead to him having one of his best seasons aside from the results not showing.

Fangraphs did an article about it actually.

Question: When people use stats like UZR is it stupid to ever compare a OF's UZR to a IF's UZR? I mean especially when one position might be harder then the other same goes for measuring a RF to a CF? Basically if you were to compare a CF UZR obviously you would only compare him to other CF's right?

Man I am glad for this thread cause some of these questions are hard to ask cause you feel dumb as **** compared to some of these guys lol.
    Last edited by northsider; 07-06-2011 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    Also when they say the league WAR avg. for a full time fielder is 2 they mean for a full season?

vCash
    i got a question, someone once told me this

hr: influenced by the park he plays in and the lineup around him
    rbi: influenced by having a great lineup around him where guys are always on base
    runs: influenced by having guys behind him to drive him in

basically these stats are more team driven and/or influenced by the environment the hitter plays in

So how do you rate a batter if its not threw these stats

vCash
    This might seem like the stupidest question in the world, but I've never really been into this whole Sabermetrics thing, but what on earth is WAR... i hear it everywhere on these forums but I've never heard of it on TV/radio or w.e

GO JAYS GO!!

Follow me @3mikee_

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast