Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 436

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500

    The Simple Questions Thread

    Have any questions that aren't relevant in any future/present thread? Then ask them here. Someone will either answer them, or better yet, link you somewhere where your question will be answered.

    Oh, and there's already a good mailbag here:

    http://www.tangotiger.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mailbags

    Though, this is more advanced stuff.
    Last edited by Seamhead; 06-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,033
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, we're going to make this the simple question thread. What's OPS? What is UZR? Quick and easy stuff go in here, harder stuff can get it's own topic.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    39,140
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilly Bohnson View Post
    Yeah, we're going to make this the simple question thread. What's OPS? What is UZR? Quick and easy stuff go in here, harder stuff can get it's own topic.
    Maybe a stickied thread of a glossary of terms would be helpful?

    EDIT: Nevermind you guys are way ahead of me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Agreed. Feel free to change the title to "Simple Questions Thread".

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,684
    vCash
    1500
    Woba please. I consider myself fairly smart, but I can't wrap my head around it as described in The Book or by Rob Neyer, so in simple terms please.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Mom's Basement
    Posts
    28,033
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    Woba please. I consider myself fairly smart, but I can't wrap my head around it as described in The Book or by Rob Neyer, so in simple terms please.
    Okay, so basically it goes like this. You know how stuff like a single, a double, a walk, and a homerun, etc. each have a run expectancy attached to them? That is, for example, a single is worth let's say half a run, meaning for every single that is hit it generally leads to half a run scored on average. Well what wOBA does, is it takes all of what a player did, all their singles, doubles, homers, etc., attaches their run expectancy for each of those events, and then multiplies them by certain mulitpliers that make wOBA on the same scale as OBP to make it easier to understand. So for example about .335 would be average, .350 would be pretty good, and .400 would f'ing awesome.


  7. #7
    Zep's Avatar
    Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    1500
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:

    wOBA = (0.72xNIBB + 0.75xHBP + 0.90x1B + 0.92xRBOE + 1.24x2B + 1.56x3B +1.95xHR) / PA
    That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

    wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    Last edited by Zep; 06-22-2009 at 02:42 PM.


    Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

    A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Great Northeast
    Posts
    29,218
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:



    That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

    wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    Is that the fangraph formula or the SC one?

    Actually, I'll expand. Fangraphs uses a different wOBA formula than Statcorner. Which one is the better one in people's opinions? And why? Perhaps this isn't a simple question and warrants it's own thread.

    It does bring up the issue with Saber stuff. .BA is, well .BA. Everyone computes it the same way. The fact that wOBA fluctuates in the way it's acquired probably turns some people off to the concept.
    Last edited by Rylinkus; 06-22-2009 at 04:27 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,991
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by poodski View Post
    I will start it off.

    How is UZR/150 figured?

    Because it sure as hell isnt current UZR figured over 150 games. At least not on fangraphs it isnt.

    For example. Last year the Royals had a positive UZR, but a negative UZR/150. Or like this year Nick Swisher has a -.3 UZR in RF, but a 2.6 UZR/150.
    It is UZR over 150 games. But it's 150 defensive games. It's based upon the expected chances at their relative position. Meaning if a 2B plays 9 innings but gets no balls hit to him, he really didn't even play a defensive game.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...on=OF#fielding

    Right at the beginning of the right columns, it says "DG," that of course stands for Defensive Games.

    The reason the UZR/150 can come out so weird like that is because they simply don't extrapolate UZR. They extrapolate errors, range, arm, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Ok Sabermetrics + me dont click.. except for the simple things... heres a question i want to know... what sabermetric stat is best to determine a players overall value and skill to a team?
    Lavigne pretty much had it.

    WAR is the best stat in measuring a player's overall value to his team at the moment. Of course, you need to use the best stats in order to measure it correctly.

    A combination of UZR and +/- (you must pay for this though) for defense (some use the Fans' Scouting Report, probably go over this later).

    wOBA is the way to go for offense.

    And FIP or tRA for pitchers. Some like to use ERA with FIP, but tRA is probably the way to go as well.

    The whole concept of WAR takes a while to explain, and honestly probably deserves its own thread. I believe seamhead made a post about it in the MLB forum, maybe he could repost it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Is that the fangraph formula or the SC one?

    Actually, I'll expand. Fangraphs uses a different wOBA formula than Statcorner. Which one is the better one in people's opinions? And why? Perhaps this isn't a simple question and warrants it's own thread.

    It does bring up the issue with Saber stuff. .BA is, well .BA. Everyone computes it the same way. The fact that wOBA fluctuates in the way it's acquired probably turns some people off to the concept.
    I believe the major difference is that fangraphs incorporates stolen bases into its equation. Everything else is just alterations of the historical data. In the longrun, the difference shouldn't be large. I prefer SC simply because of wOBA*.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,590
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Is that the fangraph formula or the SC one?

    Actually, I'll expand. Fangraphs uses a different wOBA formula than Statcorner. Which one is the better one in people's opinions? And why? Perhaps this isn't a simple question and warrants it's own thread.
    Because Fangraphs incorporates SBs and CSs, and does not incorporate NIBB and ROE (or one of the two; I forgot). SC does not incorporate baserunning, and does incorporate NIBB and ROE.

    Basically, SC sticks with the original wOBA formula. The NIBB and ROE part is really not too much of a problem, though; it's the base-stealing. I don't feel it has a place in a hitting metric.

    Plus, Fangraphs doesn't park-adjust wOBA. It parks adjust wRAA, which is the counting metric based off of wOBA. SC does have a park-adjusted version of wOBA, and a counting version.

    It does bring up the issue with Saber stuff. .BA is, well .BA. Everyone computes it the same way. The fact that wOBA fluctuates in the way it's acquired probably turns some people off to the concept.
    Yeah, I agree. I meant to post this at The Book Blog, but I forgot to.
    Last edited by Seamhead; 06-22-2009 at 05:04 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Actually, I'll expand. Fangraphs uses a different wOBA formula than Statcorner. Which one is the better one in people's opinions? And why? Perhaps this isn't a simple question and warrants it's own thread.
    Fangraphs' is better, IMO. Statcorner doesn't include SB and CS, but incorporates ROE. And I honestly don't know if they use the correct RV scale, because it changes from year to year. I know Fangraphs does.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    6,620
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:



    That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

    wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    why doesn't wOBA take into account Intentional Base on balls... there's got to be a run probablity associate with it to.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,069
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    why doesn't wOBA take into account Intentional Base on balls... there's got to be a run probablity associate with it to.
    The run value of an intentional walk is usually worth about 0.18 runs. Not very high at all.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    6,534
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:



    That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

    wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    I don't like the fact that reaching base by an error is factored into wOBA. Sure it correlates to run production, but it isn't a result of a person's skill. Why should someone get credit for reaching base on a ****** ground ball that goes through someone's legs?
    In case you weren't aware, there is now a Religion Forum here. All high-quality discussion welcome!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    69,991
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hoggin88 View Post
    I don't like the fact that reaching base by an error is factored into wOBA. Sure it correlates to run production, but it isn't a result of a person's skill. Why should someone get credit for reaching base on a ****** ground ball that goes through someone's legs?
    That's not true. There's actually been correlation between RBOE and player type. I can't find it, but guys like Ichiro force many more errors than guys like Dunn.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •