Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    For those that dont know DER is basically the opposite of BABIP.
    Free CSSTL

I was wondering what kind of affect does the Green Monster has on UZR, if any at all?

Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    I was wondering what kind of affect does the Green Monster has on UZR, if any at all?
    MGL adjusts for it, since UZR is park-adjusted, but MGL himself has stated the adjustment isn't very good.

I know I could probably find this pretty easily, but what's considered a good woba? .340+?

Quote Originally Posted by Zep View Post
    wOBA's actual formula looks like this in case you're ever bored and want to calculate for yourself:

That is, (.72 x Non-Intentional Bases on balls + .75 x Hit-by-Pitch + .90 x Singles + .92 x Reached Base on Error + 1.24 x Doubles + 1.56 x Triples + 1.95 x Home Runs)/Total Plate appearances.

wOBA (from my understanding) is basically OBP, but each specific event that leads to a batter reaching base is given a specific value, or weight (a triple is worth more than a double, a double is worth more than a walk, etc.).
    I don't like the fact that reaching base by an error is factored into wOBA. Sure it correlates to run production, but it isn't a result of a person's skill. Why should someone get credit for reaching base on a ****** ground ball that goes through someone's legs?

Quote Originally Posted by hoggin88 View Post
    I don't like the fact that reaching base by an error is factored into wOBA. Sure it correlates to run production, but it isn't a result of a person's skill. Why should someone get credit for reaching base on a ****** ground ball that goes through someone's legs?
    That's not true. There's actually been correlation between RBOE and player type. I can't find it, but guys like Ichiro force many more errors than guys like Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    I know I could probably find this pretty easily, but what's considered a good woba? .340+?
    wOBA is designed to roughly be on the same scale as OBP. So .340 would be average, .360 would be pretty good, anything above .400 is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantes4Life View Post
    That's not true. There's actually been correlation between RBOE and player type. I can't find it, but guys like Ichiro force many more errors than guys like Dunn.
    A nice, simple explanation can be found here. The original (and lengthy) article by Tom Ruane is here.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuckus View Post
    wOBA is designed to roughly be on the same scale as OBP. So .340 would be average, .360 would be pretty good, anything above .400 is awesome.
    Alright thanks.

Does WAR factor in # of games played? For example, would a player who misses a month due to injury have a lower WAR than if he'd played the entire season putting up the same averages? Or would 2 guys platooning at a position be hurting each other's WAR since they are splitting time?

Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Does WAR factor in # of games played? For example, would a player who misses a month due to injury have a lower WAR than if he'd played the entire season putting up the same averages? Or would 2 guys platooning at a position be hurting each other's WAR since they are splitting time?
    WAR is based on playing time. The "replacement" adjustment is based on 20 runs per 600 plate appearances and the "positional" adjustment is based on how many defensive games are played per 150 games.
    My blog- analysis of the San Francisco Giants, Baseball, and Sabermetrics.

Is WPA for pitchers any good? Like for comparing.

Do you guys put any stock into ERA+ and OPS+?

How about UZR and UZR/150 and +/-?

Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    I would look at a multitude of stats to determine a players value. The best available offensive stat in my opinion is wOBA with UZR being the best available defensive metric. For pitching I like to look at FIP, BABIP and their K/BB.

VORP tries to determine a players value to a team but it does not take into account defense.

There is also WAR which weights wOBA and UZR in a formula to calculate how many wins a position player adds to a team. There is also a formula to calculate WAR for pitchers. I am not too familiar with this stat though
    I agree with you to a certain degree but I think +/- is a bit better of a defensive stat than UZR and I would never use FIP it's too defense reliant to use it to compare pitchers.

VORP has it's flaws.

I'm losing confidence in WAR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bosox3431 View Post
    Is WPA for pitchers any good? Like for comparing.
    Personally I love WPA. WPA might be my favorite stat out there, but it can be very defense reliant for a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by ReyBrutal View Post
    I agree with you to a certain degree but I think +/- is a bit better of a defensive stat than UZR and I would never use FIP it's too defense reliant to use it to compare pitchers.

VORP has it's flaws.

I'm losing confidence in WAR as well.
    How is FIP defense reliant?

What dont you like about WAR?
    Free CSSTL

Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast