Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tigers Owner Mike Illitch Passes Away

I believe his children are running the show.

Not unexpected given how sick he has been, but definitely still a punch to the gut. As a fan he did exactly what you wanted; he would spend and spend until he put a winner on the field. Unfortunately the Tigers could never deliver a World Series for him, but at least the Red Wings gave him 4 championships. He was very influential in Detroit sports and the cities as a whole, with that said we might never see an owner like him in the motor city. R.I.P Mr. I and thanks for all the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Not unexpected given how sick he has been, but definitely still a punch to the gut. As a fan he did exactly what you wanted; he would spend and spend until he put a winner on the field. Unfortunately the Tigers could never deliver a World Series for him, but at least the Red Wings gave him 4 championships. He was very influential in Detroit sports and the cities as a whole, with that said we might never see an owner like him in the motor city. R.I.P Mr. I and thanks for all the memories.
    This times 100, the tigers might finally be able to focus on the rebuild, because as I understand it, that's the direction the kids wanted to go in, but Mike was still running the show and wanted to see them compete one last time.

Baseball is losing one terrible owner (Loria) while also losing a great one in Ilitch. He wanted a winner, and spent money to try and get a winner, and loved his home city of Detroit. His kids are in charge of the holding company that operates his businesses, so there shouldn't be any issues surrounding either the Tigers, Red Wings or Little Caesars.

I definitely see a rebuild coming for the Tigers and the Red Wings, though. His wish was to get another championship- including the illusive World Series he wanted- but it is about that time to consider getting younger and preparing the team for the future.

Very sad news. In a lot of ways he was kind of the only guy bringing hope to Detroit over the past 30 years.

This is pretty cool.

^ that's awesome

Never seriously considered the Cochrane Plan

Yes its a sad day for sports.
    If he had passed away two years ago the Tigers would not have been buried in high contracts. He was willing to spend. The kids won't be. I think you will see the sell off start shortly after the Tigers start falling behind . Wouldn't surprise me if they fire AA first and M. Cabrera is traded for a boat load of future players.
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

^ except Miggy is owed a ton

Yeah, as much as I love Miggy, I'd love to see them receive a haul for him. But that isn't likely. Although you never know.

We WILL know unless nothing happens then we will NEVER know
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    We WILL know unless nothing happens then we will NEVER know
    We can reasonably speculate that there is almost no surplus value in that contract.

He is guaranteed 220 million over the next 7 seasons (another 52 million for the next two years as options).

Full no trade protection

He is entering his age 34 season. These seven seasons take him through the age of 40.

He is currently a 4 WAR player. Assume 0.5 WAR regression and an average aggregate value of 9 Mil per WAR.

That's
    2017 - 4.0
    2018 - 3.5
    2019 - 3.0
    2020 - 2.5
    2021 - 2.0
    2022 - 1.5
    2023 - 1.0

That's a total value of 17.5 WAR over 7 seasons, or 157.5 million in total value, while being paid 220 million.

I don't see them getting a haul. They will probably have to chip in a good amount of money to unload him for anything reasonable.

I honestly wonder if he would clear waivers with this contract.

It's one of the ugliest in baseball. I don't know that many teams will want it, even if he is one of the games 5 best hitters. He is about to become an exclusive DH.

I can see Miggy (with a move to full-time DH) aging well and continue a 140ish wRC+ onslaught into his upper 30's. But 30 million for a DH only player is hardly something teams are chomping at the bit for.

I agree with what you said. But teams like the Yankees and Dodgers that are willing to spend. And have prospects to move. He would help draw fans and in NY continue to pad his HOF numbers. I just don't see Cabrera finishing his career in Detroit. The Tigers will be stuck with Upton. He would be a fool to opt out . Sanchez and Verlander aren't going anywhere and neither in V. Martinez. Was only recently the Tigers finished paying off contracts to Damion Easly and Gary Sheffield. I still see Avila getting let go but not until the Tigers start falling back in the central.

Considering you're as old as dinosaur dung, I'm pretty sure you know the phrase "you never know"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast