Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A deal will be made today according to Kenny.

vCash
    Yeah, we're looking for post-Olympics here. There is no doubt in my mind that we aren't going to go after anyone of substance. Kozlov sounds okay but he's fairly expensive on a team that had to clear room for Franzen by getting Tollefsen in return; whose salary would Atlanta be willing to take? Likely no one.

Tollefsen will be lucky to ever see the ice with a Wings jersey on. Leino is a 26-year-old rookie. That only works once in a while (say, a guy named Pavel Datsyuk, haha). And it works with goaltending more often (Howard) because goalies take longer to develop.

I'm new to the forum but a huge Wings fan from north of the 49th parallel. Maybe Howard can work on shootouts during the break? Six OT/SO losses since Jan. 16. Yikes, boys, yikes. Those six points would put us in a tie for 7th.

vCash
    Brad May heading to the waivers. Another player, not named, is rumoured to be going onto the long-term IR to make room for Lilja. Talk about cap issues. Anyways, this was tweeted by Bob McKenzie, who I find to be one of the best rumour reporters in the league and is with TSN in Canada. Follow him on Twitter, will find out deals quicker than most websites, including the one he works for!

vCash
    Twitter is where its at for fast hockey news right now.

vCash
    Who is going on long term IR? Holmstrom has a bad knee bruise, but is it worthy of going on long term IR?

EDIT: Also, is it IS Holmstrom is going on long term IR, this might spell the end of him as a Wing. He just can't stay healthy, so why bother spending $3M on him?

And maybe Holland is playing Lilja for a game (maybe 2 or 3 after the break) to entice some team into taking him. Holland and Babcock have a huge man crush on him and that's why he plays when he's healthy, but Wings have too many young defensemen to keep Lilja around for too long. Some team will take him like a San Jose or an Eastern Conference team who is looking to add some grit for the playoff run.

I'm probably wrong, but just a thought.
    Last edited by Spartan2587; 02-12-2010 at 03:50 PM.

vCash
    ESPN insider said we are expected to waive Brad May.

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash

Red Wings' Kirk Maltby might need shoulder surgery, which would clear cap for Lilja

"DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings forward Kirk Maltby is contemplating shoulder surgery, general manager Ken Holland said.

If Maltby opts to have surgery, he would be placed on long-term injured reserve and the Red Wings would not need to make any more moves to clear salary-cap space for the return of defenseman Andreas Lilja. If Maltby decides not to have surgery and Lilja is cleared to play by Wings' doctors, Holland said he would need to clear about $700,000 in salary, which he would do by waiving a player during the Olympic break, since there is a trade freeze in effect.

"Kirk Maltby has been playing with a chronic shoulder (issue) since last June and it’s been progressively getting worse,'' Holland said. "Maybe should have had an operation earlier in the year, but given all the injuries that hit us we were in no position to do it.''

Maltby is talking to doctors and his agent to determine what he should do. If he has the surgery, Holland indicated he would be out for two months, the rest of the regular season.

"He’s been playing through it,'' Holland said. "The doctors have told him he definitely needs shoulder surgery in the off-season at the latest, if not before.''

Holland said he did not attempt to trade anybody before today's 3 p.m. trading freeze for the Olympic break went into effect. That is no longer an option.

Also, the club is bringing Lilja back to Detroit tonight, cutting his long-term conditioning stint one game short. Holland didn't rule out the possibility of Lilja playing Saturday night against Ottawa. But the only way that could happen is if Maltby decided by tomorrow morning to have surgery, in which case he would be placed on long-term IR, and Lilja is cleared by team doctors.

“I would anticipate he’s not playing, but given the news we heard on (the team’s various nagging injuries) we thought let’s get him up to Detroit,'' Holland said. "We don’t know where we’re at, we don’t know who’s healthy and who’s not healthy.

“We don’t even know if the doctors are going to clear Lilja. We’re dealing with a whole bunch of uncertainties.’’

Holland said he told Brad May to take 10 days to decide on his future, assuming he clears waivers. He can then report to Grand Rapids or he can retire."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...._might_ne.html

"Last year, we earned respect, but this year we want fear. We want quarterbacks to fear us, and we want offensive lines to fear us." --Ndamokung Suh

vCash
    Ahh... there we go.

vCash
    Wow, this has to be tough on Malts. I feel sorry for him, he can either take the surgery miss the rest of this season and allow the Wings to keep their younger players, or make Kenny waive some one.

I hope he takes one for the team.

I hope May clears waivers and gets to play with Abdelkader more, May was teaching Abs how to fight when they were playing together. Abs has gotten better at fighting, and will be like a D-Mac for the wings in the future.

vCash
    So was Homer put on LTIR or Maltby?
    Was a move made?
    Sometimes The Path Of Least Resistance Just Makes The Road Longer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NiTEFuRY View Post
    So was Homer put on LTIR or Maltby?
    Was a move made?
    no move has officially been made. It is in fact Maltby that would go on the LTIR. If kenny plans on having lilja play tonight he would need a decision from Maltby today. Tough spot for Maltby to be in.

vCash
    Who on the roster right now do you think will retire/be gone/be resigned this coming offseason?

Our Unrestricted Free Agents:

C Jason Williams, 28
    LW Tomas Holmstrom, 36
    LW Kirk Maltby, 36
    RW Todd Bertuzzi, 34
    D Nicklas Lidstrom 39
    D Andreas Lilja 33
    D Brett Lebda 27

Other Possible Retirees

C Kris Draper 38
    G Chris Osgood 37

Im really going to hate to see some of these guys go. I would actually like to see most of them retire. I know that's being selfish, but I don't care. LOL.

Just curious on what you fellow Wings fans' think......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebus82 View Post
    Who on the roster right now do you think will retire/be gone/be resigned this coming offseason?

Our Unrestricted Free Agents:

C Jason Williams, 28
    LW Tomas Holmstrom, 36
    LW Kirk Maltby, 36
    RW Todd Bertuzzi, 34
    D Nicklas Lidstrom 39
    D Andreas Lilja 33
    D Brett Lebda 27

Other Possible Retirees

C Kris Draper 38
    G Chris Osgood 37

Im really going to hate to see some of these guys go. I would actually like to see most of them retire. I know that's being selfish, but I don't care. LOL.

Just curious on what you fellow Wings fans' think......
    From your list I would like to see these players get the AXE!:

Maltby -- hasnt produced...ever
    Lebda -- makes too many mistakes for my liking
    Draper -- not producing and has one good year
    Osgood -- not the future and wouldnt like him as a backup

vCash
    Kris Newbury to New York Rangers for Jordan Owens. Minor league deal.

vCash
    more info:

The Red Wings today acquired forward Jordan Owens from the New York Rangers in exchange for forward Kris Newbury.

Owens, 23, was signed by the New York Rangers as a free agent on June 12, 2007. In 50 games with the Hartford Wolfpack of the American Hockey League this season, he has 19 points (6-13-19) and 53 PIM.

Newbury, 28, was originally a fifth round draft pick (139th overall) of the San Jose Sharks in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. The Brampton, Ontario native, appeared in four games for Detroit this season, registering one goal (1-0-1) and 4 PIM. In 52 games with the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL), Newbury collected 33 points (11-22-33) and 144 PIM.
    Pavel Datsyuk could stickhandle in a phone booth! Johan Franzen could knock over the phone booth!

LGRW!

Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast