Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Kobe as "main guy" vs TD as "main guy"

ok, 1st off this is in no way trying to bait or whatever BUT, how was kobes title as the "main guy" any differint than duncans several titles as the "main guy" and dont even say parker was the finals mvp bc while he was, duncan was CLEARLY the biggest key to the spurs title runs, i mean come on, people are ranking this guy top 5-7 players ever? is this a joke? so anyways, i was just curious why kobe gets 10000 times more credit than timmy.d, and this is in no way an attempt to disscredit kobe bc i hate the guy but hes deff top 3 players RIGHT NOW, but im just curious what the huge differince in kobe winning and getting so much more credit than when duncan won...

vCash
    Man you guys just dont stop HA im loving it i dont know about any other laker fans but im LOVING IT!!

vCash
    Just wanted to get a post in before the **** hits the fan and the thread is closed.
    /Users/thomasshonk/Desktop/1ywmz4.jpg.png

Thanks for the userbar sfgiants5518

vCash
    Even as a Laker fan these Kobe threads are starting to get boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by i.got.the.nutz View Post
    Even as a Laker fan these Kobe threads are starting to get boring.
    Ah let it be i like the Lakers being the center of attention.........oh wait they always are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsoxin2009 View Post
    ok, 1st off this is in no way trying to bait or whatever BUT, how was kobes title as the "main guy" any differint than duncans several titles as the "main guy" and dont even say parker was the finals mvp bc while he was, duncan was CLEARLY the biggest key to the spurs title runs, i mean come on, people are ranking this guy top 5-7 players ever? is this a joke? so anyways, i was just curious why kobe gets 10000 times more credit than timmy.d, and this is in no way an attempt to disscredit kobe bc i hate the guy but hes deff top 3 players RIGHT NOW, but im just curious what the huge differince in kobe winning and getting so much more credit than when duncan won...

lol, GTFO and start worrying about "trying" to make it to back the finals to face us next season so we can get redemption for last yr foo!

vCash
    Hating , loving Kobe gets it all....

Props to Vinny642

vCash
    who doesn't give Duncan credit? Duncan was the man on those spurs teams, no doubt. still is. But Parker out performed him in the finals. That simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

vCash
    He's not overrated. He probably is the best player in the game today. LeBron is right there, or maybe a year or two away. I don't know where you'd rank Kobe on an all-time list and don't really care. The guy is good. Scary good. The MJ comparisons are all stale and need to stop. He's the closest thing we've seen to MJ but he doesn't need to be Mike. Just being close to Jordan is an accomplishment. At the end of his career, with a title or two and some more accolades (MVPs, Finals MVP, various records etc) he'll be in the conversation as best of all time. As will LeBron, Wilt, Duncan, Magic, Bird etc. At the end of the day though, Jordan will still be regarded as the best in most peoples minds, and deservingly so.

I think Kobe is ranked right around where he should right now. There's still some debate on who's a better player between Bron and Kobe and it's been widely accepted he's a top 10-15 player of all time. I think he's top 10

vCash
    Kobe was the man and equally valuable to his team as Duncan was to his title teams
    El Presidente

vCash
    I think the guy was trying to say something like, since Kobe just won, all we've heard is how he is now with the all-time greats. I've even heard that he might be top 5 ever. And yet Duncan doesn't get nearly the attention that Kobe gets. Maybe it's something like that?

Either way I think Duncan doesn't get enough credit for what he does, considering he was the man for more titles than Kobe. But whatever.

vCash
    Both guys have won as the best guy on the team, Duncan has just done so more times at this point. The difference is Duncan stats are not mind boggling overall. However, in 2 of this finals they are considered top 15 all time.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Look guys, can we stop comparing GREAT players. They are both great, and why can't that be enough? This year, Kobe was better, a few years ago, Duncan was better. I've seen Kobe vs Duncan, Kobe vs Magic, Kobe vs Jordan, Kobe vs Bird, Kobe vs Lebron.

They're all great players in their own respects. Why compare and constrast how great they actually are. It is what it is. Duncan a four time championships and Kobe has four as well. If that's how you're going to compare someone, than Bill Russell is the best all time and Sam Jones is second...

They are both great in their own ways, can we please stop making these comparisons.

Props to Vinny642

vCash
    The difference is that Duncan has had a team built around him for 12 years.
    Kobe has had a team built around him for 5 years. And in those 5 years, he has won 2 scoring titles. 5 all star games winning All star MVP twice, 4 All NBA first teams selections, 4 All NBA Defensive First team selections, One MVP. And was top 3 in MVP voting 3 times. Been to the finals twice and won one championship while being the finals MVP.

All that accomplished after starting from scratch in 04-05. If we Put Tim Duncan on Shaqs team for the first 8 years of his career, and we disregarded what ever he accomplished while playing with Shaq because "he was not the number one option" I doubt he could accomplish what Bryant has over the past 5 years.

Kobe has done all these things while putting up some great numbers as well. Over the last 5 years without Shaq, he is averaging 29.98 points per game, 5.70 rebounds 5.2 assist. at a respectable 46% shooting. Keep in mind, he is putting up these numbers while not being in his most athletic years. In those years, he was playing in an offense that did not revolve around him. Even though he was capable of putting up monster numbers, he down played his game for the sake of the team and winning. But people like you and many others will say "his stats aren't as great as so and so" and you will also say "he never won a ring as the number one player"

Which biased point of view would you like to keep? Because you cant have both. Either you acknowledge Kobe could have put up some insane stats, had he been given the keys to a bottom feeding team like a lot of superstars have at the begging of their career. Or you can acknowledge that he is a worthy of being a number one player that can have a team built around him to win a championship. And the only reason he barely won a ring "as the main man" is because he played with a top 10 NBA player in his prime. Pretty much any all time great player would look like they coat tailed Shaq to a ring. Other than the very best top 5 players, everyone would have the distinction of being a secondary player to Shaq in his prime.

But I believe over the past 5 years, Kobe has shown to be one of the very best NBA players in History. No player in NBA history has played 8 seasons in his career, accomplished as much as he did, and has had his career looked upon like it was irrelevant and as if it never happened. No other great player in NBA history has had a team built around him for the first time at age 26, won a championship, and been to the finals twice in 5 years.

Should Tim Duncan be up there, absolutely. He should be right up there right in front of, or right behind Kobe Bryant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEric View Post
    Look guys, can we stop comparing GREAT players. They are both great, and why can't that be enough? This year, Kobe was better, a few years ago, Duncan was better. I've seen Kobe vs Duncan, Kobe vs Magic, Kobe vs Jordan, Kobe vs Bird, Kobe vs Lebron.

They're all great players in their own respects. Why compare and constrast how great they actually are. It is what it is. Duncan a four time championships and Kobe has four as well. If that's how you're going to compare someone, than Bill Russell is the best all time and Sam Jones is second...

They are both great in their own ways, can we please stop making these comparisons.
    Well said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast