Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Miami Dolphins OTA's thread

As hard as this regime has worked to rebuild the Miami Dolphins' offensive line it appears injuries keep getting in the way of the Dolphins putting together a forceful offensive line.

While starting left guard Justin Smiley is back to work earlier than expected, it appears Donald Thomas is battling a serious pectoral injury.

I'm not a doctor (I only play one inside the newspaper), but the last I knew pectoral injuries take months to heal, and usually saps a player's strength because he can't lift weights.

Thomas stretched with the team at the beginning of Tuesday's OTA session then immediately walked off when the action got started. Brandon Frye, not Ikechuku Ndukwe, worked with the starting line in Thomas' place.

Joe Berger was the second team center because Andy Alleman also didn't practice.

Despite the absence of Thomas, the offensive line was opening up some nice holes. A couple of the running backs made nice runs during the OTA, which don't feature any tackling.

After a certain period we have to shut down all the electronic equipment, so I'll finish off my observations on this blog entry.

WR Greg Camarillo participated in all of the individual work, but was shelved when it came time to do the team drills. However, he did get a few runs in during one team session. As I reported on my tweets, Davone Bess is the receiver who continues to accompany Ted Ginn Jr. working with the first team.

Speaking of Ginn, he caught a beautiful touchdown pass from Chad Penningtonduring the 7-on-7 portion practice. It was a perfect over the shoulder throw into the corner of the end zone. Ginn beat Eric Greenon the play. Pennington showed off his fresh arm to zip the pass in while Green was chasing Ginn. Beautiful throw, and great catch from Ginn, who coach Tony Sparano said is "night and day" ahead of where he was at this point last season.

Channing Crowder is still wearing a compression sleeve on his right leg, which means there might still be issues with his right knee.

Rookie receiver Brennan Marionsat out a portion of team practice because of the torn ACL that was rebuilt in November. Sparano said Marion is a little bit behind Camarillo.

Phillip Merlingreplaced Vonnie Holliday as the Dolphins' starting right end, and Randy Starks worked as the backup left end. Lionel Dotson and Tony McDanielsplit time as Merling's backup on the right side.

Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams spent a 15 minute portion of practices throwing 15 yards passes to one another and catching them along the sidelines. What's really interesting about that drill was Bill Parcells sat right in front of it watching. Both were really working on their throwing mechanics.

Parcells spent a lot of his time watching the quarterbacks throw to the receivers. Rookie Pat White overthrew his targets A LOT during a tough day . But he did connect on a touchdown pass to Todd Lowber, who beat Scorpio Babers (this guy again) on a 9-route. The pass was good for 40-yards and would have been a touchdown.

White also had one nice scramble during the team portion of the practice, and boy can he move. Forget his 4.50 40-time. White's got that I'm as fast as I need to be speed.

Tight end David Martin didn't practice because of a sports hernia that has been repaired, and his absence allowed Joey Haynosto shine. Haynos, who was claimed off Green Bay's practice last season, caught a number of nice passes. The other tight ends struggled catching the ball consistently. Truthfully speaking, I'm gaining a new found respect for Haynos. But it was just one session.

Australian punter Jy Bond is still punting knuckle balls, but every sixth or so kick is a whopper. But Brandon Fields looks like an All-Pro by comparison.

Every cornerback wants to be Will Allen'sbuddy. Whenever Allen came off the field all the young defensive backs were in his grill, possibly looking for a little veteran leadership and guidance from the proven and polished vet.

First-round draft pick Vontae Davis was a borderline Will Allen stalker, but Sean Smith, and even veteran Eric Green wasn't far behind.

Rookie Chris Clemons is a lot bigger than I initially thought, and he moves extremely well for a guy his size. I'm guessing he's presently the team's biggest safety. He was paired with Tyrone Culver as the second-team safeties.

I know this is just OTAs, and the second practice of it, but by my estimation Jason Taylor is the fourth best outside linebacker if you go by the present depth chart. The Dolphins had him working as the second-team strong side linebacker, playing behind Matt Roth, who I think even Taylor would admit is better against the run than him.

But I left Tuesday's session scratching my head that Charlie Anderson, and not JT was the second-team weakside linebacker.

Maybe that's because Anderson knows the scheme, which Taylor says is very similar to what a former head coach now at Alabama ran. Or maybe the Dolphins think Anderson adds more to the mix right now than Taylor, the NFL' active sacks leader.

No matter where the Dolphins line him up, or how they use Taylor, I suspect he'll be the last person to complain. At least that's the impression he's giving in this story. He also downplays the alleged beef with Parcells and said the two have been on the golf course together since the end of last season.

As for the former CFL standouts, Cameron Wake and Tearrius George spent most of Tuesday's OTA session as the third team outside linebackers. Both worked on both sides....

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/

vCash
    Good stuff. Saw OTA video and the camara was concentrated mostly on JT.....

vCash
    My thoughts on this story...

-**** Yeah! Brandon Fields!
    -Will Allen must be a sexy man
    -LB core is going to be a cluster****

vCash
    stoaked to hear ginn is improving heaps!
    Beast from South Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfreak View Post
    Mark my words! Sanchez will win MVP and there is nothing Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or any other QB can do about it!
    Nfl-Dolphins, Nba-Hornets, Nhl-Devils, Mlb-Cardinals

vCash
    We're just going to make this an all purpose OTA thread. Big news can go in the forum.

OTA's are on May 18-19, May 21, May 26, May 28-29, June 1-2, June 4, June 8-9, June 16-18.
    Last edited by yboord028; 05-19-2009 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    LB core is gonna be a battle

wake
    taylor
    porter
    anderson
    walden
    geroge
    roth
    crowder
    aydole
    folsom

10 lbs?

New sig needed!!!!

NFL-Miami Dolphins
    CFL-BC lions
    NCAA- OSU/Florida/UM
    Soccer- Arsenal
    UFC- GSP

vCash
    ^ ill tell you right now that crowder, taylor, and porter are starting as long as there healthy

vCash
    Tedd Ginns gonna be a monster this year

vCash
    Ted Ginn gonna do some things this year. He showed a little of his own swagger and confidence at the end of last year. Confidence has ALOT to do with how you perform. Im expecting big things from Ginn.

And Ronnie and Ricky throwing? Haha I cant wait to see what the Trifecta has up their sleeve in terms of the Wildcat.

Good to see the young CB's seeking out Will Allen's guidance, they want to learn, great, great news.

vCash
    Ginn is gonna be huge this year! mark my words
    Beast from South Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfreak View Post
    Mark my words! Sanchez will win MVP and there is nothing Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or any other QB can do about it!
    Nfl-Dolphins, Nba-Hornets, Nhl-Devils, Mlb-Cardinals

vCash
    I'm with everyone else who thinks Ginn is going to have a break out year, but Chris Clemons
    the safety is the one who got my attention. There was talk after the draft that he may be just a practice squad player, which really confused me. I would love to see his speed as a gunner on special teams.

vCash
    this is good news all around a lot of stuff i want to hear but the channing with a compression wrap on his leg is kinda bad news got me worried a little bit over hear

vCash
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...,6206921.story

Miami Dolphins OTAs only voluntary in theory
    Both Miami Dolphins veterans and rookies feel the need to attend the team's voluntary workouts
    Omar Kelly | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    4:50 PM EDT, May 27, 2009
    Dolphins newcomer Eric Green is no stranger to lifting weights, but in his first week of workouts with his new teammates the cornerback admits he threw up after every session.

"The way we work, I've never trained that hard ever a day in my life," said Green, who spent his first four season playing for the Cardinals.

As a result of all the hard work, Green said he's put on about 10 pounds of muscle, and believes it should benefit him on the football field.

Those types of results are exactly why the Clewiston product, and the rest of his teammates, religiously train together in the Dolphins' offseason program.

While the NFL's sanctioned organized training activities are "voluntary" for all players, the atmosphere the Dolphins' regime, and many other teams, have created puts pressure on these athletes to attend each and every weightlifting, conditioning and practice sessions.

Not only is participation encouraged, but it's often rewarded considering most of the contracts this regime has authored features workout clauses that are tied to bonuses.

"It's a show of the commitment the players have to what we're trying to do, what we're trying to accomplish this season," said inside linebacker Akin Ayodele. "Everybody is here for the workouts, and everybody is here for the OTAs, and it is voluntary. The attention to detail guys are spending watching film, staying after work, it's like training camp all over, just without the pads."

Miss out and you might get left behind.

Even accomplished 11-year veterans like linebacker Joey Porter have discovered they personally get sustenance out of these glorified conditioning sessions.

"I'm sharpening up my tools and at the same time trying to help the young guys learn the defense," Porter said. "With so many guys out there you're going to be limited in your reps, so me being a veteran on this defense I have to try to teach the young guys and tell them where they need to be, and how to play the position."

Rookie cornerback Vontae Davis may be paid to track receivers, but at this point of his fledgling career he spent most of his first OTA session last week stalking veteran cornerback Will Allen.

Allen is extremely popular with Davis, and the rest of the team's newcomers in the secondary, because he's teaching them the nuances of their position, along with the team's defensive schemes and calls.

"He's very smart," said Davis, the Dolphins first-round pick (25th). "He knows the game. He's been in the league [nine] years so that speaks louder than words."

As should be expected, the rookies have much further to go than the rest of the team.

The playbook is new and unfamiliar to them. The drills are typically foreign, and the tempo is usually exhausting. But the team's goal is for each rookie to pick up something new every day, which should get them prepared for training camp, opening at the end of July.

"You can see their eyes are extremely big. They have a sheepish look on their face," said quarterback Chad Pennington. "A lot of information is being thrown at them, but they are working extremely hard."

As is the entire team, and they happen to be on one accord.

Staff Writer Harvey Fialkov contributed to this report.

Omar Kelly can be reached at okelly@sunsentinel.com.

vCash
    Alright look at the OTA video at about :55

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...&mediaid=42782

It looks like a fake run into a fake WR reverse into a pass by Ginn. That looks hella interesting, and ginn made a pretty good pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yboord028 View Post
    Alright look at the OTA video at about :55

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite...&mediaid=42782

It looks like a fake run into a fake WR reverse into a pass by Ginn. That looks hella interesting, and ginn made a pretty good pass.
    yea i saw that, its the play we were hearing about last season in training camp, hopefully we use it this year.

Is it just me, or does a lot of our guys look alot bigger than they did last year? Especially Bess, he looks like he put on 10 pounds.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast