Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Sign J Bay.....NOW!!!!

What does this guy have to do to get a contract? Isn't this the type of guy Theo and company want...a "professional". This guy comes to work, plays hard and actually wants to be here so what is taking so long?

If the Sox let him get to FA, you know he'll be in pinstripes next year and we'll be stuck getting pounded by Boras for Matt Holiday.

SIGN BAY ALREADY!!!!

vCash
    All in good time. I'd say there's about a 99% chance he'll be in a Red Sox uniform for the next few years. He's comfortable in Boston, not to mention they were his favorite team growing up.

vCash
    It'd be a shame to see him walk. The only suitable replacement this offseason is Holliday, and as a Boras client, will want silly money. We can get Bay for far cheaper.

Hopefully they can work something out, and it would be a great thing if they can.

vCash
    2 words- contract year

We remember...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcabrera10 View Post
    2 words- contract year
    So, you might need to look at his baseball-reference page.

....And then remember that all of those stats were done 50% in a park where, down the left field wall (where he likes to hit it - It's called pulling the ball), it's 370 feet. Yeah, he's now got 60 feet less to work with here.

vCash
    We Love Jason!!!! I am looking forward to seeing him in a sox uniform the next 5 years

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotcabrera10 View Post
    2 words- contract year
    So we shouldn't give him a new one?

We're not saying give him 10 years, 200 million.....we're saying lock him up for 3-5 now, before he hits the open market. Although I'm not necessarily saying that...I just wanted to put it in perspective.
    Last edited by gcoll; 05-05-2009 at 11:24 AM.

vCash
    Yes Not to mention Holliday having a real hard time hitting in Oakland away from Coors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    It'd be a shame to see him walk. The only suitable replacement this offseason is Holliday, and as a Boras client, will want silly money. We can get Bay for far cheaper.

Hopefully they can work something out, and it would be a great thing if they can.
    Bay is a red ale, and Holliday is a Corona with a lime in the neck... ugh.

Bay is .280/.380/.520/132 OPS+ - home or away

Holliday is .280/.345/.452 away from Coors (double ugh, and he sucks in Oakland - triple ugh!!!)

Holliday is a fast base runner and fine fielder. Bay is not so fast on the bases, or so great with the glove.

Bay can play in Boston, Holliday could could a good $3-5M more per season they Bay, and here, for the Sox, be worth .50 on the dollar compared to Bay.

HELL YES! sign Bay - 4 years $65M & throw him a bonus to make this year catch up to those 4.

vCash
    Two problems with all this:

Jason Bay is not going to give the Red Sox a huge discount. It's great that he likes it here, it's great that he's having a good season. He's one of two decent corner outfielders to hit the FA pool this year, He's a consistent 30-100 guy in a good offense. This is his one chance to get that fat contract.

If he'll accept a 3 year deal, great. Anything longer I think would be a mistake. He's already had a major knee injury, and reports say his defense has slowed down along with his speed on the bases. That does not bode well going forward. I think he's likely to continue this production for at least 4 years or so, depending on his health, but if he has another major knee injury, we're looking at going through a very painful couple of years that we may be looking at with Ortiz.

The thing is, if any team can find a decent outfielder for cheap, it's the Red Sox. They've got plenty of extremely talented kids coming through the pipeline like Reddick (who is off to a great start), Place, Lin, Kalish (same as Reddick), even Anderson is supposed to play some left once he gets to Pawtucket. They don't need to offer up these huge contracts. When they signed Drew they really didn't have an outfielder who looked like a sure-fire impact outfielder in the minors. Now they do, so the pressure to get that guy with a huge contract is gone.

If Bay will sign a team friendly deal of, say, 3 years-$42 mil, maybe a team option for the 4th year great, sign me up. He'd still be young enough to get another decent deal elsewhere, like Lowe did, and would have a great chance to add some championships to his belt while making good money.

vCash
    im gonna hop on this wagon right away

we need to resign him before he hits FA..he's a huge piece to our line up and frankly

Bay>Holliday
    Limitations are for people that have them, and excuses are for people that need them.

vCash
    i love everything jason bay brings to the table.

vCash
    Let the yanks throw 200 mill at Holliday

We can sign Bay 6 years 80 million.
    YES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox12 View Post
    Let the yanks throw 200 mill at Holliday

We can sign Bay 6 years 80 million.
    I'd puke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeIfBaerga View Post
    Two problems with all this:

Jason Bay is not going to give the Red Sox a huge discount. It's great that he likes it here, it's great that he's having a good season. He's one of two decent corner outfielders to hit the FA pool this year, He's a consistent 30-100 guy in a good offense. This is his one chance to get that fat contract.

If he'll accept a 3 year deal, great. Anything longer I think would be a mistake. He's already had a major knee injury, and reports say his defense has slowed down along with his speed on the bases. That does not bode well going forward. I think he's likely to continue this production for at least 4 years or so, depending on his health, but if he has another major knee injury, we're looking at going through a very painful couple of years that we may be looking at with Ortiz.

The thing is, if any team can find a decent outfielder for cheap, it's the Red Sox. They've got plenty of extremely talented kids coming through the pipeline like Reddick (who is off to a great start), Place, Lin, Kalish (same as Reddick), even Anderson is supposed to play some left once he gets to Pawtucket. They don't need to offer up these huge contracts. When they signed Drew they really didn't have an outfielder who looked like a sure-fire impact outfielder in the minors. Now they do, so the pressure to get that guy with a huge contract is gone.

If Bay will sign a team friendly deal of, say, 3 years-$42 mil, maybe a team option for the 4th year great, sign me up. He'd still be young enough to get another decent deal elsewhere, like Lowe did, and would have a great chance to add some championships to his belt while making good money.
    Bay's having spent his entire career before Boston playing for a loser in Pittsburgh certainly helps our case though. I'm certain that he'd consider taking a few less dollars to continue winning. Not nearly saying we ought to lowball him or anything, but I don't think it's out of the question that we could get him a bit below open market value, especially with the economy as is.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast