Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Where in the world are the Sedins?

I've defended them their whole careers, but now that they are on a playoff team that really has/had some hope, they really need to rise to the occasion. Not only that, they're at a contract crossroads with the Canucks and their performance will go a long way to determining whether they get big FA paydays or whether we see them in Canucks uniforms at all next season. A lot will be determined in the next few days.

Where in the world are the Sedins?

Twins not factor they were in first round against Blues

BY JIM JAMIESON, THE PROVINCE
    MAY 10, 2009 9:04 AM

This was supposed to be the playoffs the Sedin brothers showed they can be difference-makers when it's all on the line.

They were just that in the Vancouver Canucks' opening round series against St. Louis, but in the current series with the Chicago Blackhawks, they haven't been the factor they need to be.

They've had plenty of company among the Canucks forward ranks, but an inability to score even-strength goals against the Blackhawks has Vancouver on the brink of elimination, as they dropped a 4-2 decision in Game 5 on Saturday night to go down 3-2 in the best of seven Western Conference semi-final.

The Sedins -- Daniel and Henrik -- combined for nine points (3-6) to sweep the Blues, but they've been stymied much of the last three games as the Hawks took control of the series.

It got to the point where head coach Alain Vigneault did some serious line juggling in the third period reuniting Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows and put Mats Sundin on the Sedins' right side.

While Henrik has three goals in the Hawks series, Daniel -- the usual goalscorer of the tandem -- has struggled mightily to find the net. He has no goals in series and none in the last six playoff games.

"I thought we did a better job tonight of getting pucks to the net," said Daniel, who had 31 goals in the regular season. "That's what we've got to keep doing. They're playing good team defence so we've got to just keep going. We got more offence today, but it's got to be better." Daniel had a team high five shots on goal, but couldn't break his spell of awful puck luck. It got so bad that he lost an edge on a rush and ended up taking a holding the stick penalty trying to impeded Hawks D-man Brent Seabrook.

"I think tonight I got a lot more shots," he said. "I've got to keep shooting and see what happens. You can't think too much about it. The next game is too important." Daniel said he felt the team could win again in Chicago to take the series to a seventh game in Vancouver on Thursday.

"We won in there once before so there's no reason why we can't again," he said. "We know it's going to be tough, it's going to be gritty, but we can get it done." Sundin broke out of a prolonged goalscoring funk but the timing was unfortunately too little, too late.

Sundin scored on a booming slapshot from the top of the left face-off circle at 11:16 of the second period to give the Canucks a 2-1 lead and provide some much-needed momentum for his team. He took a cross-ice pass from Henrik and blew the puck past Chicago goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, who saw the 40-foot shot all the way.

But the goal was just the third even-strength for Sundin in his last 36 games of playoff and regular season action, and just his fifth overall in that span.

Sundin nearly made it 3-1 late in the second, but couldn't handle Kesler's hard pass that would have given him an empty net to shoot at.
    Province

vCash
    I posted this in another thread...

The Sedin's and Burrows are running into the matchup of Joel Q. That matchup includes Keith/Seabrook who play against every single teams top line and are still extremely high +/- players. They also play against Bolland who is hands down one of the best third line centers in the league (He is a complete player who plays on the PK, Point on the PP, is great offensively and great defensively...this playoffs/this year has been his coming out party) and then Ladd/Havlat also play solid on the defensive side of the puck (Havlat never did before this year, but he has been great this year)

vCash
    I read someone saw them in Kazakhstan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    I posted this in another thread...

The Sedin's and Burrows are running into the matchup of Joel Q. That matchup includes Keith/Seabrook who play against every single teams top line and are still extremely high +/- players. They also play against Bolland who is hands down one of the best third line centers in the league (He is a complete player who plays on the PK, Point on the PP, is great offensively and great defensively...this playoffs/this year has been his coming out party) and then Ladd/Havlat also play solid on the defensive side of the puck (Havlat never did before this year, but he has been great this year)
    No doubt Keith/Seabrook are doing a great job. I think I posted that somewhere too. But a difference maker gets past that. The Sedins are very good, but they are not explosive players. They are control players and ultimately they need to do more than move the puck around the rink as virtuosos. The puck has to find the back of the net. That's the only thing they give out points for.

vCash
    if they don't show up on monday, we lose. It's as simple as that.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    It's kinda sad that Wellwood is outplaying BOTH of the Sedins(at least IMO)

vCash
    are the sedins RFAs or UFAs after this year

vCash
    Unrestricted
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    Unrestricted
    nothing wrong with getting 7+ million off the books next year to go to a free agent or trade!

vCash
    Well, I have no doubt that the Sedins showed up last night. Daniel was especially great.

I still think we're in a jam with those two though. They will want first line money when ideally you need to have one or two explosive players on that first line. They're tweeners on a championship level team IMO: somewhere in between first and second line players.

vCash
    I don't care what anyone says, but the Sedins have played unbelievable for us this season including the POSTseason. They have relatively played well and were shut down in the HAWKS series because of the elite defense of Seabrooke and there strong checking lines. They did rise to the occasion in CHicago for game 6 but our defense miserably failed. I would be extremely sad to see these guys go away because they guys are a point a type players, say the right things, and are true gentlemen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by _KB24_ View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, but the Sedins have played unbelievable for us this season including the POSTseason. They have relatively played well and were shut down in the HAWKS series because of the elite defense of Seabrooke and there strong checking lines. They did rise to the occasion in CHicago for game 6 but our defense miserably failed. I would be extremely sad to see these guys go away because they guys are a point a type players, say the right things, and are true gentlemen.
    I like them for all the reasons you mentioned, but I think it's like the Chris Bosh syndrome -- we need a number 1 option. I think each of these players suffers from not being quite dominant enough to be the "go to" players. I know that teamwork can beat that a lot of the time but when you watch the potent display of explosive talent the Hawks put out, you realize that those kind of players are indispensable.

But make no mistake about it, the Sedins are good players and I'd like to see them back. We just need to save enough money to buy ourselves a breakout player -- and I don't think it's Cody Hodgson either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    No doubt Keith/Seabrook are doing a great job. I think I posted that somewhere too. But a difference maker gets past that. The Sedins are very good, but they are not explosive players. They are control players and ultimately they need to do more than move the puck around the rink as virtuosos. The puck has to find the back of the net. That's the only thing they give out points for.
    Absolutely true, they've been in and out of games disappearing in the series. I definitely have to give the Chihawks credit, they shut down the potency of our offense. Although, Sundin did come out bigger than I expected. Next year the true first line phenom comes up. BRING ON HODGSON!

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.