Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Thumbs up Strongest Arms in NFL History

I wanted to see which QB's you think have the best arms as QB's in NFL history. Lets not throw in accomplishments or records, we are talking about the physical body of work of how effortlessly or powerfully the QB can sling the ball downfield.

Top-5 or (add on as you wish) Not in any order (particularly)

1. Bert Jones (The Ruston "Rifle")- he was the Elway before Elway, had one of the most powerful arms to ever grace the field. Shoulder injury derailed what might have been a HoF career

From wikipedia:

He (Jones) possessed one of the strongest arms ever to play in the NFL. Many observers believe that only John Elway, Brett Favre and Doug Williams have had similar arm strength. Bert was reportedly able to throw the ball nearly 100 yards in the air in his prime. The widely respected scout Ernie Accorsi is quoted as saying that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins has been quoted as saying Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. On the eve of Super Bowl XLII New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, in discussing his choices for the greatest quarterbacks of all time, described Jones as the best "pure passer" he ever saw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8t9TiRdgtw- Watch the video before they take it down (NFL film classic)

2. Jamarcus Russell- one of the strongest arms to ever, can sling the ball 80+yds down the field effortlessly. Although the talent has yet to translate on the field.

3. John Elway- huger arm, can throw across his body like no other, Passes sometimes clocked at over 80+mph. Cetainly breaking some fingers.

4. Jeff George- an idiot, but even at the age of 40 he can sling it with the best in the league.

5. Randall Cunningham- one of the most gifted athletes to ever grace the field, can run and gun the ball anywhere on the field
    6. Brett Favre
    7. Doug Williams
    8. Terry Bradshaw
    9. Daunte Culpepper
    10. Dan Marino (IMO more release than "arm strength)
    Last edited by J-E-T-S; 05-07-2009 at 05:16 PM.

vCash
    I heard a rumor saying Bert Jones could have possibly thrown 100yds??? Anyone hear this before.

NVM I should have read the caption under your post man that is amazing if it is true.

vCash
    elway and culpper come to mind first, never heard of the first guy, but im gonna look him up.

vCash
    josh f'n freeman
    and with the 12th pick, The New York Football Giants select ......Odell Beckham Jr, Wide Reciever from Louisana State University

vCash
    randall by far had the strongest arm in nfl history.

vCash
    Donovan McNabb has a cannon also

PSD Patriots Forum Hall Of Fame Class Of 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by griff141 View Post
    Donovan McNabb has a cannon also
    I always remembered hearing how strong Favre's arm was and then when the Eagles signed Antonio Freeman I remember him complaining about how hard McNabb threw the ball saying that his hands hurt after practice.

Drew Beldsoe and Warren Moon should at least be considered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by badboyhoward View Post
    randall by far had the strongest arm in nfl history.
    By far? I'm not sure how far you think Randall could throw the ball but it wouldn't be much further than all the other guys mentioned, if in fact he did have the strongest arm.

vCash
    Jamarcus Russell. Granted he never knew WHERE the hell he was throwing the ball...

vCash
    When the fins had David Woodley he could really fling the ball.(couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but could really heave it (usually to the wrong team))
    http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31248&dateline=121890  7451

vCash
    ^^ very true. mcnabb and cunigham are alike in so many ways.

Introducing the Eagles O-Line

vCash
    i just wanted to bring up Bert Jones. Who seems to have disappeared out of NFL lore, sucks he injured his shoulder.

My main gripe is how many 1st overall QB's will Indy get, they always get good 1st overrall QB's: Manning, George, Elway(before trade), Jones

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-T-S View Post
    i just wanted to bring up Bert Jones. Who seems to have disappeared out of NFL lore, sucks he injured his shoulder.

My main gripe is how many 1st overall QB's will Indy get, they always get good 1st overrall QB's: Manning, George, Elway(before trade), Jones
    They just got another one this year in Andrew Luck.. What is going on?

vCash
    Who was the QB that could sling it 60 yard sitting down? Was that Michael Vick?

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    Who was the QB that could sling it 60 yard sitting down? Was that Michael Vick?
    No that was Joe.

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast