I wanted to see which QB's you think have the best arms as QB's in NFL history. Lets not throw in accomplishments or records, we are talking about the physical body of work of how effortlessly or powerfully the QB can sling the ball downfield.
Top-5 or (add on as you wish) Not in any order (particularly)
1. Bert Jones (The Ruston "Rifle")- he was the Elway before Elway, had one of the most powerful arms to ever grace the field. Shoulder injury derailed what might have been a HoF career
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8t9TiRdgtw- Watch the video before they take it down (NFL film classic)From wikipedia:
He (Jones) possessed one of the strongest arms ever to play in the NFL. Many observers believe that only John Elway, Brett Favre and Doug Williams have had similar arm strength. Bert was reportedly able to throw the ball nearly 100 yards in the air in his prime. The widely respected scout Ernie Accorsi is quoted as saying that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins has been quoted as saying Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. On the eve of Super Bowl XLII New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, in discussing his choices for the greatest quarterbacks of all time, described Jones as the best "pure passer" he ever saw.
2. Jamarcus Russell- one of the strongest arms to ever, can sling the ball 80+yds down the field effortlessly. Although the talent has yet to translate on the field.
3. John Elway- huger arm, can throw across his body like no other, Passes sometimes clocked at over 80+mph. Cetainly breaking some fingers.
4. Jeff George- an idiot, but even at the age of 40 he can sling it with the best in the league.
5. Randall Cunningham- one of the most gifted athletes to ever grace the field, can run and gun the ball anywhere on the field
6. Brett Favre
7. Doug Williams
8. Terry Bradshaw
9. Daunte Culpepper
10. Dan Marino (IMO more release than "arm strength)