Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Murphy, Reed at First?

News: Murphy and Reed at First Base
    By Matthew Cerrone - May 5, 2009 3:31 pm

In a post to his Twitter page, Newsday’s David Lennon mentions Daniel Murphy and Jeremy Reed are both taking ground balls at first base, prior to today’s game in Atlanta.

According to Lennon, ‘Murphy looks 100 percent more comfortable at first than in left field.’

Like I have been saying, as well as so many others, I believe the Mets see Murphy as a their first baseman of the future.

So, with Carlos Delgado recent hip issues, which will require rest on and off all season, it looks like the Mets are slowly looking at their future now.
    metsblog

Interesting! Hopefully this isn't a precursor that Delgado's hip injury is more serious than it seems.

TRIPOD!

It would make sense that Murph is our first basemen of the future.. so this is good. Hope Delgados ok though
    Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote Originally Posted by HOJO View Post
    metsblog

Interesting! Hopefully this isn't a precursor that Delgado's hip injury is more serious than it seems.
    I had a sore hip. Damn thing was very annoying and long lasting. It faded away once I stopped playing.

I'd love Murphy to be the 1B of the future.

I just don't want him to be the 1B of the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Drucifer View Post
    I had a sore hip. Damn thing was very annoying and long lasting. It faded away once I stopped playing.
    Yeah, I know the feeling actually. When I was 22, I was a little tipsy at my buddy's graduation party and I picked a chick up in the air and started spinning her around. She ended up falling on top of me and I dislocated my hip. The doctor's said I was the youngest person they'd ever seen dislocate a hip.

It doesn't bother me all the time, but now and again it will start acting up. It's a real *****.

TRIPOD!

I have always said that a Murphy/Evans platoon at 1B would not be a bad thing.

Reed at first? Weeeeeellllllll, I don't know about that. I know he is Murphy's glove in left field, but he is too good defensively in the OF to screw around at first.

Especially if Sheffield is going to be getting more playing time in the field, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bbsmets View Post
    I have always said that a Murphy/Evans platoon at 1B would not be a bad thing.

Reed at first? Weeeeeellllllll, I don't know about that. I know he is Murphy's glove in left field, but he is too good defensively in the OF to screw around at first.

Especially if Sheffield is going to be getting more playing time in the field, as well.
    Yeah that seems a bit strange. Maybe they are just looking to get him some more playing time. But if that's the case, why not just put Murph at first and put Reed out in left?

Either way doesn't hurt anything having him learn the position, just weird.

TRIPOD!

I don't think it's a huge surprise to hear Murphy as our future 1B. The free agents next year are much better in corner OF than at 1B.

This might mean Delgado is headed to the DL though. Hopefully this injury won't sideline him long. We need his power.

I am surprised to hear Reed's name in 1B talk however. I'd think Tatis/Murphy would be fine and have Reed as the primary backup OF due to his defense.
    Fan of the "next year"

Yeah, I know the feeling actually. When I was 22, I was a little tipsy at my buddy's graduation party and I picked a chick up in the air and started spinning her around. She ended up falling on top of me and I dislocated my hip. The doctor's said I was the youngest person they'd ever seen dislocate a hip.

It doesn't bother me all the time, but now and again it will start acting up. It's a real *****.
    Not to make fun of the situation, but that will teach you to not spin chicks in the air anymore.

You couldnt find anything else to spin her on?

Quote Originally Posted by DREW View Post
    Not to make fun of the situation, but that will teach you to not spin chicks in the air anymore.

You couldnt find anything else to spin her on?
    Haha, yeah I know man. I must admit, I was a little more than just tipsy. Down right hammered. I'll be regretting that day for the rest of my crippled hip life. Please feel free to make fun of the situation. It was my own stupidity.

TRIPOD!

Haha, yeah I know man. I must admit, I was a little more than just tipsy. Down right hammered. I'll be regretting that day for the rest of my crippled hip life. Please feel free to make fun of the situation. It was my own stupidity.
    I could not make fun of the situation because you did get hurt and you will probably feel it for some time to come.

But once again, learn how to spin chicks using your HOWARD JOHNSON.

I have no problem whatsoever with this, but I just hope they keep a close eye on Delgado. We can't afford to lose him for an extended period of time. We all love Murphy, but he doesn't come close to Delgado's production.
    Props to MetsLegacy

Quote Originally Posted by ritz View Post
    I have no problem whatsoever with this, but I just hope they keep a close eye on Delgado. We can't afford to lose him for an extended period of time. We all love Murphy, but he doesn't come close to Delgado's production.
    Ive said this before the season even started and I'll say it again, if Delgado does not have a Delgado like season, this team is in trouble.

Which is why the very beginning of May is the perfect time for him to have an injury if we have to deal with one at all. Obviously I'd rather him not be hurt, but it is what it is and all I can say is I'm glad it's not August or September.
    Props to MetsLegacy

Quote Originally Posted by ritz View Post
    Which is why the very beginning of May is the perfect time for him to have an injury if we have to deal with one at all. Obviously I'd rather him not be hurt, but it is what it is and all I can say is I'm glad it's not August or September.
    Well, yes and no. having this type of injury may effect him the entire year.

Whereas on the other end of it, if he had a monster year and got us into the playoffs, maybe we could do without him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast