Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    vCash
    yes its early but beckett has only had 1 year where he actually had ace numbers and lester has only pitched one full year so really its not known whether they will bounce back but im just asking theoretically speaking if they dont bounce back would there be any ace caliber starters to be had at the deadline that would be worth getting?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ematz1423 View Post
    well lets say that beckett and lester dont rebound to become the aces this team needs for a long run into the playoffs, would there be anybody out on the market in term of a true ace of the staff that the sox could need.
    No...not really. And with the SP stacked the way it is, a lot of improbable stuff would have to happen for the Sox even to enter that mindset. Smoltz and Bucholz would have to suck, and probably two out of Beckett, Lester, and Dice-K would have to consistently put up ERA's in the 6.80 range to get pulled from the rotation.

In other words, things would have to get a LOT worse then they are now for the Sox to decide to look for an 'Ace'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    No...not really. And with the SP stacked the way it is, a lot of improbable stuff would have to happen for the Sox even to enter that mindset. Smoltz and Bucholz would have to suck, and probably two out of Beckett, Lester, and Dice-K would have to consistently put up ERA's in the 6.80 range to get pulled from the rotation.

In other words, things would have to get a LOT worse then they are now for the Sox to decide to look for an 'Ace'.
    I totally agree with this, but would also add that trading for an "ace" is an awfully expensive undertaking.

vCash
    I know that getting an ace from a trade would cost a lot but lets be honest without an ace of the staff this team will not make it far in the post season nor would any team. IMO Smoltz and Buchholz shouldnt be the answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ematz1423 View Post
    I know that getting an ace from a trade would cost a lot but lets be honest without an ace of the staff this team will not make it far in the post season nor would any team. IMO Smoltz and Buchholz shouldnt be the answer.
    Beckett is our ace. How many aces are there in the league. I'm talking about with great numbers every year. Let's see, Johan Santana and....that's about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sawxfan View Post
    Beckett is our ace. How many aces are there in the league. I'm talking about with great numbers every year. Let's see, Johan Santana and....that's about it.
    By that standard Beckett isn't an ace (he had bad '02, '06, and '08 and so far
    09).

But these guys are

Halladay
    Webb
    Sabathia (not so far this year, BUT before yes)
    Zambrano
    Lincecum
    Peavy
    Oswalt
    Kazmir

There are plenty of guys who toss consistently good years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    By that standard Beckett isn't an ace (he had bad '02, '06, and '08 and so far
    09).

But these guys are

Halladay
    Webb
    Sabathia (not so far this year, BUT before yes)
    Zambrano
    Lincecum
    Peavy
    Oswalt
    Kazmir

There are plenty of guys who toss consistently good years.
    Hallday, sure. Lincecum has pitched one full year. Scott Kazmir is not an ace. Sabathia is overpaid. Plenty of guys could put up good numbers pitching in the NL west, especially San Diego. What I was getting at is that we have two top tier pitchers in Lester and Beckett. Pitching in Boston is tough. We have two possible aces and maybe I would go after Halladay at some point.
    Last edited by sawxfan; 05-12-2009 at 04:53 PM.

vCash
    Three possible aces.

I think Dice-K still hasn't even primed yet.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567