Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YouksBeard View Post
    I most certainly agree that our rotation troubles are, at the very least, surprising. I think we all expected our pitching to be dominant this year, hence when four of our five starters have an ERA over 4 and a half, it's startling.

Yes, it's early May. Yes, we're still doing quite well. But we're doing well against a Rays team that (well, before 2 days ago) was playing terribly and a Yankees team with only one person hitting well. Regardless of how early it is, it would be nice to put some distance between ourselves and the Yanks/Rays.
    Aren't we two and four against TB. They out scored us 19-2 in the first two....I would not call that good. Then we give up 6 runs in the last game. TB is a home team too. They play much better at home.

We made garza look like pedro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lil'papi View Post
    Aren't we two and four against TB. They out scored us 19-2 in the first two....I would not call that good. Then we give up 6 runs in the last game. TB is a home team too. They play much better at home.

We made garza look like pedro.
    Right. That was worded poorly. I didn't mean that we were doing well against Tampa but rather, are doing well while Tampa is off to a slow start. But they are sure to heat up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccspence8 View Post
    Beckett is pitching like he did last year. Lester is pitching like when he was a rookie. Masterson was pitching well until tonight. Penny is about to see the boot. Wakefield has sadly been our ace.

You can't count on Smoltz especially with his setback. They should bring up Buchholz, we need him.
    Beckett has been pitching a lot better than his numbers indicate. He has had some control issues which has caused some trouble for him but he has been ridiculously unlucky. His BABIP is at .398 which is ridiculous and will obviously go down. Lester has also been pretty unlucky. He has a great K-BB ratio but he has given up a lot of home runs and also has a really high BABIP at .375. Both have been much better than they have appeared. Their numbers will go where they belong as their luck turns around

vCash
    The starting pitching has been really disappointing so far. Overall, our rotation has an ERA of 5.68! But what's it say about our team that our rotation has been almost as bad as it could possibly be and we're 15-9?

I'm not too worried about it. Lester will get better. Through his first 6 starts last year, he had a 5.40 ERA, the same exact ERA he has now. He then continued to get better and had a sub-3 ERA in the second half.

We've yet to have our number three starter be healthy.

Penny's only a temporary part of our rotation.

Beckett will most certainly improve on his ERA in the 7's.

vCash
    today is pick apart knarf day.....

So you are dismissing Toronto? I wouldn't , they could be TB of last year. They have four starters out and the ywill get a couple back and they hit and play good defense.

We need to play better defense than 9th in the league. I honestly believe we catch them by Mays end and start our ascent. We will get Rocco back and Dicek and Smoltz as long as we stay relatively healthy position wise , we win this thing by 5-8 games.
    We have injuries we stay in the mix as you mentioned.

NYY will make some sort of push....always do..
    Haha, I certainly overlooked Toronto. I do think they have some potential, but they've put up that record against some pretty weak teams too. They have yet to face the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, or Rays. They played the Royals (who are my pick for this year's suprise team) and lost 3 games to 1, giving up 27 runs.

So, they have potential for sure...but they've been minimally tested. For as many players as they have coming back to them, so do we.

We have some problems, certainly. I think we're in better shape than the Jays though...and I still think the AL East is going to be extremely close in the end.

vCash
    today is pick apart knarf day.....

So you are dismissing Toronto? I wouldn't , they could be TB of last year. They have four starters out and the ywill get a couple back and they hit and play good defense.

We need to play better defense than 9th in the league. I honestly believe we catch them by Mays end and start our ascent. We will get Rocco back and Dicek and Smoltz as long as we stay relatively healthy position wise , we win this thing by 5-8 games.
    We have injuries we stay in the mix as you mentioned.

NYY will make some sort of push....always do..
    There's plenty to suggest that they most certainly won't be the TB of last year.

They're hitting way above their heads right now - Adam Lind and Aaron Hill, for example aren't going to spend a year being as productive as they have been. Nor will Scutaro. Nor will Rolen. Nor will Barajas.

Their run differential, several games ago, was on a record setting pace - this won't continue.

And the only pitcher they have who will continue to perform the way he has through the first month is Halladay.

Warm up 4th place, the Jays will be settling in and getting comfortable in 3 weeks.

vCash
    Thank goodness front office folks don't have to make offseason decisions based on one month's worth of baseball. If that were the case I'd seriously think about not picking up Beckett's option for 2010 and making a very strong play for Roy Halliday.

Even if Beckett has a decent '09, I would still support that course of action were the Sox FO to pursue it.

vCash
    Wait...what? Yaz I have to disagree, man, I think Beckett's option is a lock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiagledknarf View Post
    Wait...what? Yaz I have to disagree, man, I think Beckett's option is a lock.
    I know. It's going completely against an established organizational philosophy to sign a pitcher of Halladay's age to the type of contract he would want.
    On the other hand, it's completely within their philosophy to keep an under-30 guy like Beckett who's relatively cost controlled for 1 more year.

The way I see our rotation unfolding in 2010 is that we'd have: Lester, Dice-K, Masterson and, god willing, Buchholz (provided he shows us something this year) and Beckett.

A nice rotation and all under 30. I'd love to see Halliday, his toughness, his approach, and his absolute lock of 220 innings and career history of no arm trouble, anchoring that rotation instead of Beckett.

Crazy?

Naw. It's still a very young rotation and the best pitcher in the game (for my money) who has pitched a career in the AL East, could be our one.
    This is my Red Sox fantasy and I suspect it's got a 2% chance of happening, but if people are suggesting Vladdy G., plays right field for us, dreaming is clearly acceptable.

vCash
    Haha! For what it's worth, I'd take Halladay over Beckett too...and I'm a huge Beckett fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Beckett has been pitching a lot better than his numbers indicate. He has had some control issues which has caused some trouble for him but he has been ridiculously unlucky. His BABIP is at .398 which is ridiculous and will obviously go down. Lester has also been pretty unlucky. He has a great K-BB ratio but he has given up a lot of home runs and also has a really high BABIP at .375. Both have been much better than they have appeared. Their numbers will go where they belong as their luck turns around
    Seriously? Luck? I haven't heard or read anything anywhere that suggests that Lester and/or Beckett were victims of bad luck. Beckett sure got lucky in his first outing against TB, then.

vCash
    not too worried yet. If it's been this bad so far and we have the record we do, imagine what we can do when the rotation comes around.

vCash
    If we stay in second place comfortably and we get Smoltz , then Beckett heats up and Lester is for sure going too. I like our chances , holes in our offense and all...

Glass is half full ..... Oh' one more tidbit that Japanese kid what's his name Dice? He might help a little too. (or kill our pen) Penny slips we have two killer B's ....(bowden-buchy) Paps slip up we gots the other killer B.

We are ok. Hopefully as the weather breaks our pitcher heat up at the same time. The defense needs to tighten up though to get us to the promised land.

vCash
    If we stay in second place comfortably and we get Smoltz , then Beckett heats up and Lester is for sure going too. I like our chances , holes in our offense and all...

Glass is half full ..... Oh' one more tidbit that Japanese kid what's his name Dice? He might help a little too. (or kill our pen) Penny slips we have two killer B's ....(bowden-buchy) Paps slip up we gots the other killer B.

We are ok. Hopefully as the weather breaks our pitcher heat up at the same time. The defense needs to tighten up though to get us to the promised land.
    Other than 3 bad pitches, Lester had a truly great night last night - the homeruns and the 0-2 hit he gave up to the number 8 hitter muddied up an otherwise gaudy stat line and a night on which he threw 70% of his pitches for strikes.

He's rounding into form.

Now Beckett needs to do the same.

And you're right, 'lil Papi, there's a significant sized cavalry on the horizion ready to help out if needed.

vCash
    ^^^ I've still got Theo's comments about the pitching market ("it's going to be tight... we intend to be sellers") ringing in my ears. I very much doubt that the current rotation stays in tact for the season. Some of those reserves will be in place soon enough.

lil'papis point is what I think most people are overlooking: the strength of the pitching is as much in its depth as in the individual strengths of its members. Can you seriously think of another rotation that dropped it's #2/3 start who went 18-3, 2.90 a year ago and actually improved?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast