Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Starting Pitching....

Has been awful. For this team to have an ERA over 5.00 is an absolute joke. If they can't pull it together they're going to ruin this bullpen that is probably the best in the league.

vCash
    It's one month in and despite that era, our record isn't terrible. Things have a way of working themselves out. We just recently won 11 games in a row..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSoxMaster View Post
    It's one month in and despite that era, our record isn't terrible. Things have a way of working themselves out. We just recently won 11 games in a row..
    True, but the trend is troubling. The starting rotation needs some quality starts from Beckett, Lester and whoever Boston calls up to replace Brad Penny (fingers crossed). Masterson and Wakefield are the only reliable starters right now. Boston's BP has been fantastic with the exception of Javy Lopez who should only be brought in after the 15th inning when everyone just wants to go home and doesn't mind losing. Francona has been leaving his starters in to prevent his BP from getting burned out come the post season (could also be because we're short on long relievers) which has put the Sox down early, often, and a lot. However, Boston cannot consistently rely on monster offensive comebacks to win games, which ended up being the case for much of the 11 game win streak, when Masterson and Wake weren't on the hill. Pitching and defense wins championships. Pitching and defense wins enough ball games to get there. I'd like to see Bard, Buchholz, and/or Bowden get A May call up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mig7 View Post
    True, but the trend is troubling. The starting rotation needs some quality starts from Beckett, Lester and whoever Boston calls up to replace Brad Penny (fingers crossed). Masterson and Wakefield are the only reliable starters right now. Boston's BP has been fantastic with the exception of Javy Lopez who should only be brought in after the 15th inning when everyone just wants to go home and doesn't mind losing. Francona has been leaving his starters in to prevent his BP from getting burned out come the post season (could also be because we're short on long relievers) which has put the Sox down early, often, and a lot. However, Boston cannot consistently rely on monster offensive comebacks to win games, which ended up being the case for much of the 11 game win streak, when Masterson and Wake weren't on the hill. Pitching and defense wins championships. Pitching and defense wins enough ball games to get there. I'd like to see Bard, Buchholz, and/or Bowden get A May call up.
    Of all our starters, who would have thought that Wakefield and Masterson would have the best start to the season. I hope they maintain and the others come around. If so, we will be dominant.

vCash
    Oh good! It's another "Let's point out the obvious thread"...

I'll add one: "We're losing when we're not winning!"
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sboyajian View Post
    Oh good! It's another "Let's point out the obvious thread"...

I'll add one: "We're losing when we're not winning!"
    You are a piece of work. Why not talk about the state of our starting pitching? What's up with Beckett getting shelled? It's an important topic because it also kills the bullpen over time. No need to rag on the thread. Just do not respond. We are losing when we are not winning would indeed be a stupid thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sawxfan View Post
    You are a piece of work. Why not talk about the state of our starting pitching? What's up with Beckett getting shelled? It's an important topic because it also kills the bullpen over time. No need to rag on the thread. Just do not respond. We are losing when we are not winning would indeed be a stupid thread.
    Because it's just another bridge jumper thread.

Let's talk about Lester having a bad game... or.. maybe we can talk about the game before his last one where he went 7 innings, with 9 ks and 0 ER's.

So big deal, Becketts last two games haven't gone well.. but his first three he let up 8 runs in 20 innings with 20k's..

It's May 1st.. we are in first (based on win %). Let's stop freaking out. One of our starters is injured, another one is an audition.. we have other options to replace him and Beckett will win 17 this year..

Why are you allowed to be sarcastic or smug, but whenever else someone else does it you play the martyr?
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

vCash
    Because it's just another bridge jumper thread.

Let's talk about Lester having a bad game... or.. maybe we can talk about the game before his last one where he went 7 innings, with 9 ks and 0 ER's.

So big deal, Becketts last two games haven't gone well.. but his first three he let up 8 runs in 20 innings with 20k's..

It's May 1st.. we are in first (based on win %). Let's stop freaking out. One of our starters is injured, another one is an audition.. we have other options to replace him and Beckett will win 17 this year..

Why are you allowed to be sarcastic or smug, but whenever else someone else does it you play the martyr?
    Beckett's not winning 17, other than that I agree with the letter and spirit of your post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    Beckett's not winning 17, other than that I agree with the letter and spirit of your post.
    I'll give ya that one.. I actually expect 15.. but I like to add an extra 1 or 2 for wishful thinking..

vCash
    Remember when everyone said how bad our offense was, too?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Remember when everyone said how bad our offense was, too?
    I am sorry to inform you that your submission to this thread must state the obvious and in a "I'm not sharing anything new" format.

May I suggest one of the following:

1) Sometimes we score more runs than our opponent, sometimes we score less.

2) We get a lot of runs sometimes. Other times we don't.

3) During our 11 game win streak, we outscored the other team.

Thank you,
    Management

vCash
    I am sorry to inform you that your submission to this thread must state the obvious and in a "I'm not sharing anything new" format.

Thank you,
    Management
    Yea, thanks. Questioning how bad Beckett has been is exactly like saying we are going to continue losing if we score less runs than the other guys. Beckett has been bad and yes it is troubling. Dice K is on the DL. Lester has been roughed up. Penny has been crushed and throwing 89. Your sarcasm is just unnecessary as far as I am concerned. It's great we are still winning and yes I am sure it will turn around, but it's something we can discuss. No need to be rude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sawxfan View Post
    Yea, thanks. Questioning how bad Beckett has been is exactly like saying we are going to continue losing if we score less runs than the other guys. Beckett has been bad and yes it is troubling. Dice K is on the DL. Lester has been roughed up. Penny has been crushed and throwing 89. Your sarcasm is just unnecessary as far as I am concerned. It's great we are still winning and yes I am sure it will turn around, but it's something we can discuss. No need to be rude.
    Questioning how bad someone has been, who has only been bad 2 times out of 5 (once against a Rays team that was destined to break out at some point).. why complain about Becketts performance in his last game? Why not complain that we got 1 hit all night?

We know Penny got crushed, and not a single person on this forum who pays any attention to this team really expected Penny to be an All-Star.. did we hope? Sure, but no one expected it. He was cheap and he's auditioning.. he won't last.

Lester has been roughed up.. you are right.. Guess what? The guy who handed us our *** last night (and carried a Perfect game into what, the 7th?) let up 11 runs in the 2 starts prior.

As I said, we're in first, we're bound to get better. May Day, May Day.. we lost a game.. our Ace is human.. he let up runs.. everyone under your desks! Grab your textbooks and cover your head!

vCash
    Questioning how bad someone has been, who has only been bad 2 times out of 5 (once against a Rays team that was destined to break out at some point).. why complain about Becketts performance in his last game? Why not complain that we got 1 hit all night?

We know Penny got crushed, and not a single person on this forum who pays any attention to this team really expected Penny to be an All-Star.. did we hope? Sure, but no one expected it. He was cheap and he's auditioning.. he won't last.

Lester has been roughed up.. you are right.. Guess what? The guy who handed us our *** last night (and carried a Perfect game into what, the 7th?) let up 11 runs in the 2 starts prior.

As I said, we're in first, we're bound to get better. May Day, May Day.. we lost a game.. our Ace is human.. he let up runs.. everyone under your desks! Grab your textbooks and cover your head!
    Just because you are questioning the state of the starting pitching does not mean you believe the sky is falling. This bullpen is great, even Van Every. I think we will be just fine. I think Beckett will turn it around, I was just hoping for a dominant year from the guy. Starting the all-star game and winning 20 games.

vCash

Thank you,
    Management
    And channelling sboyajian, here's what Beckett had to say on the subject:

Josh Beckett's outing was far better than his last two, during which he gave up 15 runs over 9 2/3 innings. Beckett got the win last night, allowing three runs in six innings, all on a homer by Johnny Damon. Asked if he feels he's heading in the right direction, Beckett said, "I definitely gave up less runs today, if that's what you're talking about. That's key to winning ballgames."

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast