Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash

Brewers Minor League Thread

Do we have one of these? I figured this is wear we can talk about minor league happenings.

Just saw this today, couldnt find an article until I came across this.

Evan Anundsen, RHP, Brewers (High-A Brevard County)
    Tuesday's stats: 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K
    Anundsen is not a great prospect by any means. A fourth-round pick out of a Colorado high school in 2006, he went 12-8 with a 4.27 ERA in 2008 in his full-season debut while allowing more than a hit per inning. What he is good at is throwing strikes and keeping the ball on the ground, and he's never been better at it than he was Tuesday. A 10:30 a.m. start might have helped him, but give credit where credit is due. With an 88-91 mph fastball with heavy sink and run combined with a solid-but-unspectacular breaking ball/changeup combination, Anundsen now has a 1.44 ERA in four starts for the Manatees, and many are projecting him as at least a big league reliever and maybe even a solid innings eater as a starter. Whatever the assessments, they are dramatically more positive than they were a year ago.
    Interesting, hope you guys can add to this thread.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash

Minor League update

Thought some of you would like a look at how our future is looking thus far this year.

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E

Mat Gamel 3B 19 71 18 28 7 0 7 26 56 12 17 0 0 .471 .789 .394 1.260 7

Angel Salome C 13 44 4 8 2 0 0 6 10 6 10 0 0 .296 .227 .182 .524 1

Alcides Escobar SS 20 83 13 22 3 0 1 6 28 6 13 11 1 .322 .337 .265 .660 3

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WHIP HLD GF

Jeremy Jeffress 1 1 2.25 4 4 0 0 0 16.0 11 9 4 0 0 12 22 1.44 0 0

vCash
    I understand that it would be more beneficial to have gamel playing everyday down AAA, but how nice would it be to have him pinch hitting right now?

vCash
    I don't think it'd be nice at all because he'd probably pull the same thing Brad Nelson is as of now. I've obviously never played in the minors/majors, but from experience in just about ANY sport, when you go from playing everyday to just a small role, it sucks, and it throws you out of any type of groove you have. So no, I'd hate to have Gamel pinch hitting.

Also...Wasn't there a minor league thread created just yesterday?

vCash
    It's pretty exciting to throw a no-hitter at any level. I doubt this kid ever makes it to the bigs and even if he does I doubt he's very successful. He gets ground balls but doesn't have a strikeout pitch.

vCash
    I would be shocked if he doesn't make it, at the very least as a reliever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    you over rate OBP. especially for the White Sox who leave countless in scoring position. RBI is a way more important stat then OBP anyday.

vCash
    For anyone that follows the minors fairly closely, what can you tell me about Chris Smith. He is a reliever at AAA, and I was looking at his line. He has thrown 15 innings in relief and is yet to give up a run with 19k's to 0 walks. I saw that he was in the independent league and then a little with Boston last year? Would this guy be a potential call up if Julio implodes?

My interest is drievn by a pitcher at any level that apparently has very good command of the strikezone. Look how well DiFelice is doing for us, largely because he throws strikes.

On another note, I noticed Mark Rogers pitched the other day so his latest setback might not be all that serious.

vCash
    One more note I found interesting. When BBA did their summation of each teams prospects based on the one with the best tool of each. (ie. Escobar was best defensive player) They had Brett Lawrie as our best potential power prospect. This is even more exciting now that he is no longer a catcher, but a 2B and that he has already stolen 8 bases this season. I can not think of many players that lead their teams in homeruns and steals, but it looks like Lawrie could do that in Appleton. Either he is faster than I anticipated or an excellent student of the game... either would be fine by me.

vCash
    Smith throws in the 88-92 range with a slider and changeup. Obviously good control. I don't think he'll be as good as DiFelice, he hasn't struck out as many batters as DiFelice in the minors or majors, he's walked more and he's given up more hits. I think he could be a solid, cheap option however.

Rogers didn't really have a set back. He just hit his shoulder against the wall shagging fly balls. Obviously with his injury history you want to be as careful as possible, especially just after coming back and missing two years.

I didn't expect Lawrie to have speed either, but when I saw him he looked like he ran the bases well and wasn't as big as I expected him to be. I think he's still a poor man's right handed hitting, infield version of Larry Walker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big E
    you over rate OBP. especially for the White Sox who leave countless in scoring position. RBI is a way more important stat then OBP anyday.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    [QUOTE=brewersfan729;9348387]Smith throws in the 88-92 range with a slider and changeup. Obviously good control. I don't think he'll be as good as DiFelice, he hasn't struck out as many batters as DiFelice in the minors or majors, he's walked more and he's given up more hits. I think he could be a solid, cheap option however.

Rogers didn't really have a set back. He just hit his shoulder against the wall shagging fly balls. Obviously with his injury history you want to be as careful as possible, especially just after coming back and missing two years.

I didn't expect Lawrie to have speed either, but when I saw him he looked like he ran the bases well and wasn't as big as I expected him to be. [B]I think he's still a poor man's right handed hitting, infield version of Larry Walker.[/QUOTE]

Hey that could be a good thing. When are we expecting Lawrie to crack the majors, 2011? That could work out if he retains his power and we trade Prince through the middle of the year next year. I always thought Larry Walker was a HOF player, if not then very solid. If Lawrie can do the damn thing and be a poor man's Larry Walker, I'm all for it.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan729 View Post
    I think he's still a poor man's right handed hitting, infield version of Larry Walker.
    I'm not sure why I find that so comical. I think I get what you were going for. It never hurts to have a middle infielder who can put up power numbers.

vCash
    For those of you who care Matt LaPorta hit his first major league HR tonight.

vCash
    # Q: Michael , Naperville, Illinois - Hey Tom, I have been keeping an eye on the Sounds' box scores and a pitcher who has caught my eye is Chris Smith. He has 0BB:18K, 1.29 era, 0.79 whip, in 14 IP. Who is he and what are the chances he sees the bigs this season? Who is the staff ace in Nashville, Dillard? Burns? Thanks
    # A: Tom Haudricourt - Smith played for seven seasons in the Boston organization before signing as a minor-league free agent with the Brewers last December. He is 27 and was signed merely to provide depth. I wouldn't look for him in Milwaukee. He pitched in 12 games for Boston last year and had a 7.85 ERA. Anything is possible, though. Just ask Mark DiFelice.
    I was thinking the same thing that you were about Smith so I posted that question for the JS chat.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/43737752.html

vCash
    Smart minds think alike.

As for Laporta he will hit alot of those before his days are done, but I really think we kept the better of the two overall hitters in Gamel. I am as excited to see him play as any prospect in recent history. I honestly think he could be a Chase Utley type talent, with the similarities right down to the short quick swing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madtown343 View Post
    Smart minds think alike.

As for Laporta he will hit alot of those before his days are done, but I really think we kept the better of the two overall hitters in Gamel. I am as excited to see him play as any prospect in recent history. I honestly think he could be a Chase Utley type talent, with the similarities right down to the short quick swing.
    I think LaPorta is going to hit for a little more power but I agree and think Gamel is the more well rounded hitter. Sure I'd love to have LaPorta still in the organization but CC Was so big in the Brewers' run to the playoffs last season that was so exciting and I still think that the trade worked our for the Brewers even if they did give up LaPorta and Brantley.

I think the Crew might be in a similar situation this summer and I think Escobar could be dealt if the right opportunity presents itself.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast