Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Brewers trade Khris Davis to the Athletics for Jacob Nottingham and Bubba Derby.

Brewers trade khris Davis to Oakland for catching prospect Jacob Nottingham and P Bubba Derby. Nottingham is the jewel of this deal as a young catcher with a good bat. Some question if he can stay behind he plate long term. If he can stay at catcher, most think he'll likely never be a gold glover, but he should always have an above average bat for a catcher.

Bubba Derby was not a super highly rated prospect, but he's a young guy with a live arm. He has some bullpen experience in college, and was starting in oaklands farm. It's possible he stays a starter, but he probably has a pretty hig floor as a he could probably slot into the bullpen long term.

I personally really like this deal. Davis is a decent player but doesn't have a ton of upside in my mind. He's not a very good defender. He has okay speed and takes good routes, which helps him. But his speed will start eroding and his weak arm will look worse when that happens. He's a low average , low of guy who relies on his power. So he has value, especially with right handed power lacking in baseball at the moment, but I think we can get similar value out of the guys we have in the farm right now. And we pick up a potential future catcher, which is a position our farm had virtually nothing at. Even if Nottingham has to move to 1st, we have very little in the pipeline at first, and he can battle coulter for that future spot unless someone else comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I personally really like this deal. Davis is a decent player but doesn't have a ton of upside in my mind. He's not a very good defender. He has okay speed and takes good routes, which helps him. But his speed will start eroding and his weak arm will look worse when that happens. He's a low average , low of guy who relies on his power. So he has value, especially with right handed power lacking in baseball at the moment, but I think we can get similar value out of the guys we have in the farm right now. And we pick up a potential future catcher, which is a position our farm had virtually nothing at. Even if Nottingham has to move to 1st, we have very little in the pipeline at first, and he can battle coulter for that future spot unless someone else comes along.
    Agree, also it puts Santana in a comfortable corner OF spot sooner rather than playing CF again. Stearns is doing an outstanding job. The Gomez trade, Segura trade and now this deal have all been very good deals for Brewers. Also getting two prospects from Pirates for Rogers.

Agree. Technically the Gomez deal predated stearns, but your point holds up regardless. It's hard to really argue with any of the deals he made. Obviously it's likely that some or even most of the lowest level prospects we got won't turn out, but it still makes sense to make those moves.

I think this Davis move is my favorite one. Davis was basically redundant on this team and we got a positional guy at our weakest position in the minors who has immense upside (one could probably argue C is the weakest position in all of minor league baseball if you assume 2nd will get propped up when som failed SS move to 2nd and 1st will get a boost from failed 3B and corner OFers move eventually).

Other than that, I think the only move that was really a major head scratcher was lind. I know virtually nothing about those guys we got so it's hard to say if we got good value. I know I said segura was surprising, but I still think the value was solid and it was a good move. Other than that, the moves all have me excited.

I think Nottingham will eventually move to first, but he has two-ish years to develop as a catcher. I am a little weary that the Houston high A team seems to have inflated numbers. Not sure how much to read into that but he hit alright for the 40 or so games in Oakland's' system. Derby should be ok, reminds me a lot of Cy Sneed, great name, decent stuff, and not a big time prospect.